PDA

View Full Version : Drag Racing/ Gearing Question...help!!!

DEVINF450R
04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
I was donw @ St. Joe's state park in MO htis past weekend drag racing on the sand flats. I have 22" tires with stock sprockets. I have no trouble getting traction in the sand, in fact i had no problem untill it seemed like the 3-4 bikes that could beat me were shifting into 5th as i would be reaching top of third. the drag strip is oly 150 yrds or so and i am gettin edged out about halfway through and gettin beat by a bike length or two. what can help me other than changing my actual tranny. i like to trail ride and do MX so i don't want to do any drag only mods that would be hard to change back over. THANKS GUYS!

underpowered
04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
go 1 tooth smaller on the front sprocket. this will allow you to shift theough the gears faster and may be better for trails. it will give the feeling of more power. it will lower your top speed by a few MPH but not many people ever reach the top speed on a regular basis. it wil put you closer to your stock gearing witht eh 22" tire you have now.

DEVINF450R
04-04-2006, 10:24 AM
that is what i was thinking, i never reached topspeed in the 150 yrd drag-strip. should i change both sprockets? and what brand/material would you guys recommend?

underpowered
04-04-2006, 10:26 AM
i would start off by just changing the front, then you can do the rear later if you still want to go lower.

Go with steel sprockets. Brand, really how much you want to spend. i have great luck with the cheapo JT sprockets, only like $12 for the front, but others swear by Renthal ro other brands. Sidewinder is great stuff, will last forever, but very pricey.

400exstud
04-04-2006, 07:43 PM
The stock sprocket is a 15 tooth. With your 22" tires I would actually go down to a 13T. This will bring you much closer to the guys that are beating you.

I have a 14/39 (38 is stock) gear ratio with 20" tires. This puts me at a little over 60 mph. Although I thought it would be too low for my liking, I quickly learned to love the torque.