PDA

View Full Version : needle on carbs

jeremy_283
04-04-2006, 05:16 AM
is it very hard to adjust the clip on the needle on 400ex carbs?

BLEEDRED
04-04-2006, 08:47 AM
No. Pull the carb and dig into it. Get a manual if you have questions. It's not difficult. Good luck.

ohsobad_chevy
04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
There will be a gold colored cap on the top of the carb. There are 3 screws that hold that cover on. Take the cover off and you will see the arm connected to the slide. Take out the screw that rotates the arm that is connected to the slide. It is pretty long by the way and will have a lock washer on it. You can get a long screw driver and take the 2 screws out that hold the arm to the slide. GENTLY!! Turn the carb upside down until the slide and needle come out. The needle is in the middle of the slide and will have a little clip on it. Higher positions are richer, and lower positions are leaner. Be careful when removing that little clip, if you want to adjust it, it will fly off and you will have a @#$ of a time finding it(trust me). Have a little patience and make sure you got plenty of time. It is easy to do. Hope this helps ya.

BLEEDRED
04-04-2006, 09:13 AM
You can get a long screw driver and take the 2 screws out that hold the arm to the slide. GENTLY!!

Gently is critical here. Make sure you are using a good screw driver to remove these two screws. The metal is soft and can strip very easy. Use a new #2 screw driver bit and press hard to make sure they don't strip. Good luck.

GPracer2500
04-04-2006, 12:21 PM
I replace those two screws down there with little allen head screws. That way I can get to them with a ball-end allen wrench--makes future needle adjustments much faster. Actually, I like to replace most every philips head screw on the carb with allens. Just make sure you don't over torque them. They make the philips head screws soft on purpose so it's nearly impossible to strip the threads on the carb body. Replacing stripped screws is a lot easier than replacing or repairing the carb body!

ohsobad_chevy
04-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I replace those two screws down there with little allen head screws. That way I can get to them with a ball-end allen wrench--makes future needle adjustments much faster. Actually, I like to replace most every philips head screw on the carb with allens. Just make sure you don't over torque them. They make the philips head screws soft on purpose so it's nearly impossible to strip the threads on the carb body. Replacing stripped screws is a lot easier than replacing or repairing the carb body!

Good call, I think ill do that next time i am in my carb.