PDA

View Full Version : Modified skid plate for Link

zrpilot
04-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to pass this idea around.

After spending alot of money for a complete GT Thunder suspension system (450R fronts and stock rear) that was re-valved and re-sprung by GT, I just couldn't allow the new GT Thunder link to take a frontal assault from a rock. So I modified my rear skid plate to house the new link and rear shock. Here are the pictures. Let me know if you'd like more detail, as I'm happy to share my experience.

zrpilot
04-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Another shot

eganracing
04-03-2006, 10:28 PM
did u weld in an extension? cause most people just cut the linkage housing for the needed clearence.

zrpilot
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Yep,
I fabricated the extension and had a local welding shop weld it all together.

I just couldn't see cutting the skid to allow the link to move without some protection.

I know that this will be the lowest point and subject to the most damage, however I can always cut the extension off and just have a skid that allows the link to move w/o protection!

Rico
04-04-2006, 05:08 AM
Good idea but that thing is going to be a shovel underneath your quad. It will definitly get hung up on things. I run a Elka LT link and it also sits low and I see were your coming from. But it's been on for 3 years and has seen some abuse but unless you hit a rock at 50 MPH that link should be OK. Andy Lagzdin is the only person I've ever heard of breaking linkage on a quad.

zrpilot
04-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Good point Rico, I guess the shovel analogy I never considered!

Thanks for your experience and advise. I'm going to try it, if it becomes a Caterpiller D-9 then out comes the plasma!

Zrpilot