PDA

View Full Version : Cam

EX400rider
04-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Wat does a cam do. I hear that they make your ride faster. Wat is difference in stage 1 and 2. Is it worth buying

400exrider707
04-03-2006, 09:16 PM
A cam operates your valves, its what opens them and closes them. A cam can do a lot for an engine. It can hold the valves open longer, or farther, thus bringing more air in and out of your engine. A cam is one of the cheapest upgrades that offers some of the biggest benefits performance wise. Stage 1 is usually the less aggressive cam and gives good boost throughout the powerband without sacrificing low-end, while the stage 2 is aimed at all out horsepower and you will lose bottom end power. Only really becomes useful once you've done simple things like exhaust and intake to open the engine up a bit. These are the basics and others can get more in depth if they wish.:macho

EX400rider
04-03-2006, 09:34 PM
how much stage 1 cost and wat is a good brand

ohsobad_chevy
04-04-2006, 09:19 AM
A stage 1 will cost you about $115 or so. I would go with the HotCams brand. I have yet to hear anything bad about them.
By the way, here is a pic of a cam working. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft You can see how it opens and closes the valves. Cam timing, as you will learn from this article, is very crucial.