PDA

View Full Version : new street bike

1fst400
04-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Just picked me up a street bike. Its a yamaha..

LOL. its a little 80. But its street legal!! It says so on the tag where the vin is. I just have to put directionals back on it, along with a head light and spedo and I will be crusin.

I picked it up for free. It starts 4th kick or so, runs for a sec then dies. Pretty damn good considering The carb prolly hasent been cleened in 20 years.

antman
04-03-2006, 09:06 PM
nice classic... that will be fun to ....putt....putt... around the neighborhood with!:D

1fst400
04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
its a 4 speed, manual clutch. any gueses how fast this sucker will go. My gues is 35.

Toadz400
04-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Who knows, it might go a little faster than that. Get that little thing cleaned up and painted and it'll be a sweet little bike. I love old classic bikes.

My dad and I are into the 70's street bikes, mostly Kawasaki's now but we also have two Hondas.

1fst400
04-03-2006, 09:26 PM
I found a simualr one on ebay. Im missing quite a few parts.

Tail light, head light, blinkers, spedo. chain, front sproket is bad. clutch lever, clutch cable. spedo cable.

Moast of the lights I can just buy lights from an auto parts store I guess. the spedo will be tough tho. mabie I can find parts on ebay. sprocket will be tough to find also.

Rich250RRacer
04-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
I found a simualr one on ebay. Im missing quite a few parts.

Tail light, head light, blinkers, spedo. chain, front sproket is bad. clutch lever, clutch cable. spedo cable.

Moast of the lights I can just buy lights from an auto parts store I guess. the spedo will be tough tho. mabie I can find parts on ebay. sprocket will be tough to find also.

Watch what bulbs you put in it, that bike might be 6 volt as most older bikes that size are. That bike looks to be an '80 or '81. Top speed on it should be about 50. My '79 XL75 topped out at 49 mph.

OutCast
04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
What year is that yamaha?

lil400exman
04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Watch what bulbs you put in it, that bike might be 6 volt as most older bikes that size are. That bike looks to be an '80 or '81. Top speed on it should be about 50. My '79 XL75 topped out at 49 mph.

that looks like a 77-79 to me as the oil injection pump is the older style. I had a 1972 DT125 enduro. I loved that bike. Smooth running and very predictable. Make sure you use a good bit of RTV on the magneto side as those are prone to letting water seep in and leaving u stranded. Also you could put a digi speedo on there from say a bicycle for around 25 dollars and have it be much smaller.

I miss my bike!

1fst400
04-04-2006, 06:30 AM
I cant find a year anywhere on it. But one on ebay that looks simular is early 70's.

Thanks for the tip on 6v bulbs. I will look into that.

JLanphear
04-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Is this your first bike? You are going to end up a statistic on that thing :p .

Hehehe....sorry, the line above is always posted when someone speaks of a motorcycle on here...didn't want to let anyone down. :rolleyes:

Cool bike, I had a '74 Suzuki 50cc and it was a blast. It was a big bike for a 50 and on a flat surface you could get about 40mph out of her.

1fst400
04-04-2006, 10:28 AM
"Is this your first bike? You are going to end up a statistic on that thing ."

lol. Ya, I know better than to get a real motor cycle. I dont think I would make it a day on somthing with some power.

anyways. I got it running, the carb was packed full of grime. The gas tank is also a little bit rusty inside. I just rinsed it out and called it good for now.

It runs but not at low rpm, I think it may have to do with the fact that it has no air filter one it. I will have to find one.

and I tied a knot in the oil injection line. I dont think it works, nad the cable that goes to the throttle is snaped. Its all still there tho.

I think I mixed it a little rich of oil to. little smoky. mabie this has somthing to do with the idling prob.

also has horible compesion, I dono if i can find rings for this, changing them is a breez.