PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Upgrades. Concerns?

Nuckenfuts
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm have been debating upgrading the performance capabilities of my 300EX for a while now. After losing a short drag race against a friend riding a slightly modified Blaster, I decided it was time.
I currently have a full Big Gun exhaust system, K&N filter, Dyno Jet stage 2 kit, and 20" high ITP tires. I had the airbox lid off during the race, btw.
I was thinking of adding the following:
-Wiseco piston kit - standard bore, to keep reliability
-Duncan Racing CDI mod.
-Duncan Racing Camshaft - all around
-Duncan Racing HD Valve spring kit w/titanium retainers and bronze guides.
-Renthal hard anodized 14 tooth front sprocket
-Elka Shocks - Sports and racing series - 400EX shocks up front, with triple-rate springs and remote reservior, and 300EX shock in the rear. I saw a kit on Ebay that changes the front shock mount location on a 300EX so it will fit the 400EX shocks. Anyone have any opinion/experience with this?
-I also want to have the head ported and polished, and the cylinder honed at a local machine shop. I will have to get the piston to them before they do work on the cylinder, correct?
Other mods I plan to do that may not be speed or power oriented is to add a +2" Lonestar swingarm, including a new chain and steel braided brake line, Lonestar anti-vide steering stem +1" length, and Renthal Fat Bar handle bars.

I have never had any engine upgrades done before, so I am quite unexperienced in it. Does anyone see any concerns and/or problems I might have with doing the above listed? Is any work highly recommended with the carb? Does it need to be upgraded to a 400EX carb, and is this a difficult task(does it bolt right up?)Is anything going to have to be done with the timing? I imagine the jets will have to be played with. Is premium gas okay? Is the cam alright, or is there a different, highly recommended one?
Also, are there any other not too pricey upgrades that might be recommended? I know I could bore it out, but I don't want to decrease reliability/engine life. I could change the rear sprocket also, but don't want to lose much bottom end.
I appreciate any help!!! Thanks.

300ex_#387
04-03-2006, 08:31 PM
It sounds like that would be a very nice set up.... The 400 shocks arent bad, but people start complaning when you put the 400 a arms on there. With all the new suspension and power you might want to think about making it a bit more wider too. GDH has a nice set of a arms that allows 400 length shocks to bolt right up without the relocator. Look into an extended axle too....

Nuckenfuts
04-05-2006, 06:30 PM
So GDH makes a arms that are built for the 300, but allow the 400 shocks to bolt right up? That sounds pretty decent. Are the GDH a arms wider than stock 300 arms? I'm not sure whether I want to make it wider or not. I trail ride quite a bit during the summer in the mountains, and get into some fairly tight spots. I kinda like the manoverability (sp?) of what I've got now. We'll see though...

Flyin-Low
04-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Sounds EXPENSIVE... but if you change the front sprocket and chain, youll need a new rear sprocket. Usually is all done at once, but if you have any money concerns at all dont go for the renthal expensive sprockets :D ive never had a problem with the cheap ones :D

Cody_300ex
04-05-2006, 07:54 PM
I ride trails with my GDH front end almost everyday, you'll be fine.

Nuckenfuts
04-17-2006, 12:20 PM
I think I'll decide what I'll do about the suspension later. I really don't want to spend the money to have it widened. But I would like a softer landing, because I tend to bottom out lots and my back is always killing for for a few days after a hard ride.
I was planning on ordering the engine components from Duncan Racing, and have them installed locally, but after thinking about it, I think it's probably best that I send my engine, head, and carb to Duncan racing and have them do the work. That way when the work is to be done with the head and cylinder, they have the parts, and know exactly what size everything needs to be.
I may have to upgrade the carb. Not sure to what though. 400EX, Keihin 38mm, or Edelbrock carb? Does anyone have any advice?
As for everything else, that will come in time I suppose. Thanks for the input on the suspension and sprockets guys. :D