PDA

View Full Version : need ramps to load quad into pickup?

cbr929rr
04-03-2006, 07:40 PM
what style ramps should i look into for loading my 400 into my pickup? Where are there good deals?

94F450SD
04-03-2006, 07:54 PM
dont know about rhode island but up here in ma. i got a set of aluminum ramps for 160.00 for the pair

okieRrider
04-03-2006, 08:24 PM
I got a set of tri fold ramps from pepboys for $100 on sale at christmas time...they are aluminum and work great...Chris

premiumtommy
04-03-2006, 10:10 PM
dude

pull the front of the quad to the rear of the truck

stand it up

push it till it hits tailgate

lift up back into truck

to remove

pull rear till it hits ground

yank so front falls out

ITS A QUAD

either that or buy 2 pressure treated 2x8's and those metal/aluminum plates to put on the end of them....need grip...use grip tape like a skateboard

i made a set for my motocycle cause i dare not lift that by myself..
cost me $40

put the money into mods

dart340
04-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I bought a pair of aluminum brackets from the ACE hardware( I don't know if you got those there) but they are for making your own ramps out of a couple of 2x6's. The brackets bolt to the wood and were only like $20, and I had the wood laying around.

Elyk
04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Try the cabelas website they have a bunch.

Travis712
04-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I've lifted quads, trikes, and dirtbikes with 2x8's. Trust me, they work well. I've never even had traction problems with bare wood, lol. Gas it, gun it, and go.

ccd
04-04-2006, 02:57 PM
i took a couple of planks, i think 2x12's and screwed (2each board) metal 3/16" stock bent to an L shape to the head of each board.Got them free as cut off ends from a metal shop. Most of the time I put the ends with the metal on the ground. They never slide which would suck unloading my rubicon. Rubi's my baby!:eek2:

spent21
04-04-2006, 03:57 PM
street signs! when i was in highschool the state reworked the bridge close to my house, and they left one of the large orange construction signs. i yanked it up and took it home. i cut 60 degree angles at the foot of the green post to make it flat on the ground, welded a piece of flatbar to the other end, heated and bent it so it was flat on the tailgate. cut strips 10 inches wide out of the sign and bolted it to the posts. i did have to shoot some holes through them to get a little traction.

yeah, i guess there's no denying it now. i'm a redneck:rolleyes:

ccd
04-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by spent21
street signs! when i was in highschool the state reworked the bridge close to my house, and they left one of the large orange construction signs. i yanked it up and took it home. i cut 60 degree angles at the foot of the green post to make it flat on the ground, welded a piece of flatbar to the other end, heated and bent it so it was flat on the tailgate. cut strips 10 inches wide out of the sign and bolted it to the posts. i did have to shoot some holes through them to get a little traction.

yeah, i guess there's no denying it now. i'm a redneck:rolleyes:

YEAH! Right there with ya!

premiumtommy
04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by ccd
YEAH! Right there with ya!

nice...real nice

EXevan91
04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
YEEEE HAW ..been there done that but just find 2x8s or 2x12s and the lil metal flaps and a couple screws. u dpnt neeed a fancy 200 dollar aliminum "thing" to do a simple job

or u back your truck almost into a hill and put the quad in that way :)

#8red
04-05-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't use ramps either - maybe if I had one of them heavy bikes like a raptor - or predator - but I just turn the gas off - put it in 1st gear right behind my truck - lift the front end up so it rests on grabbar - go around to back - reach up & pull it into neutral - push it forward till' the f.tires land on tailgate - lift up by grabbar & push it on in - just make sure when ya' pull it off you're f. tires aren't turned or when ya' pull it off - one tire comes off 1st and rolls it (not PERSONAL exp. - but seen it) - it's pretty easy and saves $$$ on ramps that usually get ripped off - even with my 7" lift & tires it's pretty easy - give it a try and save them $$$ for somethin' that goes ON yer' bike - -

chevy19
04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
i had a set of pressure treated 2x10s and they weighed like 45 pounds each with iron angle on top i just got a nice set from cabelas for $80 and the only weigh 18 pounds and fold up really nice.

Keats
04-05-2006, 08:54 PM
There is a much simpler way to load a 400ex in a truck...pull up to your tailgate and put the machine in neutral, shut it off. stand between your quad and tailgate, grab the lower arm and lift. pull it towards you and set the front tires on the tailgate. This is the hard part lol...climb out from the tailgate and tires, go to the back and lift her in. It sounds f'd up, looks f'd up, but works like a charm!

miller821
04-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Back your truck up into a ditch, and just ride it in... If you don't have a ditch do it like everyone else said.

04TRX400EX
04-05-2006, 10:59 PM
If you decide that you don't want to lift your quad in and out of your truck everytime, I'd recommend a Quadboss ramp. It folds in half once, works really well, and fits perfectly in between the tires underneath your quad when you're driving.

taino_racing
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
go to atvramps.com

04-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I have actually wheelied the front end of my quad on a truck before.. well i tried and I ended up bending my frame.. that sucked ... I had to becuase I lost a bed with my freinds that I could beat a YFZ450 with my decked out 440EX and I lost barely by 1/2 length and my frame smacked the tailgate..

flattrack440ex
04-06-2006, 09:17 PM
what did you do to the tail gate?????? liftin it is the simplest way but if you dont wanna lift it then do the wood idea. it costs less than them fancey ramps so you can spend it on gas to ride or get to the riding place lol

guinness77
04-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Travis712
I've lifted quads, trikes, and dirtbikes with 2x8's. Trust me, they work well. I've never even had traction problems with bare wood, lol. Gas it, gun it, and go.

BINGO!!!!
That's what I do. Works like a charm.