PDA

View Full Version : jeep question

1fst400
04-03-2006, 02:19 PM
alright, I have this jeep. I paid 1500 for it, its a 93 wrangler. has like 2 milion miles on it. 6 cyl, auto. On the nicer end of the beater scale.

I managed to blow the rear end in it a while back. To much R-N-D fitness while stuck... lmao, rev nutral drive. lol

So natrually being the redneck that I am, I trow er in 4wd and drive home. Wored mint, kept driving around for 150 miles or so and the transfer case seemed to blow or sumthin..:eek2:

But when in reverse it will still move, so of course I drive home in reverse.

It now seems that if I fix the rear end, 2wd will still work regardless of the transfer case issues.

so, being the chepo that I am. Why not weld the spider gears. Well I would but I have been strongly advised by my pops that welding spider gears can cause the axle to snap and fall out, bad idear.

So, today while running a compactor. I thot why not just take the spider gears out. and weld 1 one of the axles to the housing???

this way it will be perminetly one wheel drive, while the other tire will simply free wheel.

I realize that it isnt exacty what you would want, but will it get me around till I go to a junk yard and get a complete rear end assy.

underpowered
04-03-2006, 02:32 PM
if you weld on axle to the housing, that wheel will not spin at all. the tire will not move. Welding the spiders is proably the best choice of what you have mentioned. it will only break and axle under strain, and as long as you dont do anythind too stupid it probably wont break, and if it does, there are ways to keep in in the housing. But, what make you so sure it will drive in 2wd? did you put it in 2wd and see if the rear driveshft still turns? Sounds like you have major issues with your jeep.

1fst400
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
ya, driveshaft still turns:rolleyes: . I have checked it all out.

I dont think you understand me. remove spider gears, weld axle to spool. why not? :confused:

underpowered
04-03-2006, 03:04 PM
that may work, but never even heard of anyone doing that.