PDA

View Full Version : YFZ 450 engine dying question

hot450girl
04-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey guys! So it's been quit a few months since I have been able to ride the YFZ. It sat for so long it drained the battery. I took it to the dealer and got it back up to par and bought a tender. Seems to be working. Now recently it has finally been warming up enough to ride. BIG problem though. First off, The thing won't idle. You have to hold the gas or it won't stay started. Not sure if it's because the gas is super old or what. Should I try adjusting the idle? I was trying to burn the old gas out but it won't stay started, and that isn't even the worst of it. Finally when you get the thing to move, you will be shifting gears and it just quits. Completly shuts off and won't start back up. I don't understand. All the norms are correct like the gas being on and so on. Not sure if this is electrical or what? I'm not that smart when it comes to fixing quads but I am good at cars!! HA! Can someone please help me out here so I can ride this machine I paid an arm and a leg for?! Thanks!!

GPracer2500
04-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by hot450girl
Hey guys! So it's been quit a few months since I have been able to ride the YFZ. It sat for so long it drained the battery. I took it to the dealer and got it back up to par and bought a tender. Seems to be working. Now recently it has finally been warming up enough to ride. BIG problem though. First off, The thing won't idle. You have to hold the gas or it won't stay started. Not sure if it's because the gas is super old or what. Should I try adjusting the idle? I was trying to burn the old gas out but it won't stay started, and that isn't even the worst of it. Finally when you get the thing to move, you will be shifting gears and it just quits. Completly shuts off and won't start back up. I don't understand. All the norms are correct like the gas being on and so on. Not sure if this is electrical or what? I'm not that smart when it comes to fixing quads but I am good at cars!! HA! Can someone please help me out here so I can ride this machine I paid an arm and a leg for?! Thanks!!

Sounds like a gummed up carb. Did the dealer touch the carb or just replace the battery? If they didn't clean the carb...

pit/wood
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi,I have a few questions. have you checked your air filter for a mouse nest? the fuel should be ok,but draining the tank and filling it would eliminate a possible fuel problem. did the dealer tech attempt to adress your running concern,if so what was thier advice? had you done any work to it before you stored it for the winter??

hot450girl
04-03-2006, 01:03 PM
I only took the battery to the dealer not the quad itself, so that is all they touched. I did recently removed the air filter and it looks good, not nests, brand spanking new and good. The carb on the other hand:

I have been having some issues in which I would keep the gas on, or I would turn the gas off and it would leak out everywhere. Someone told me to look at the float sticking and my step dad checked it out and everything looked good.

BUT now it still leaks gas, and I haven't touched the carb since then. I thought it was the carb probably being gummed since it has been sitting for so long, but that still doesn't fix my gas leaking problem. The carb looked PERFECT. So I am at a stand still as of right now!

MR.BIG
04-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Drain the gas and put new in. Then you are going to have to clean the carburetor, mostly likely you have a clogged pilot jet from sitting. Then you should be good to go. Try tapping on the bowl with the end of a screw driver because your floats are sticking!

pit/wood
04-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Drain the gas and put new in. Then you are going to have to clean the carburetor, mostly likely you have a clogged pilot jet from sitting. Then you should be good to go. Try tapping on the bowl with the end of a screw driver because your floats are sticking!
yeppers,carb cleaning time.

hot450girl
04-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok well it looks like I am going to drain the gas out and rip the carb out. I've had to do it so many times with the stupid float sticking that I am pretty much a pro at doing it. I will get my step dad to help me out though. I knew it had to do something with the gas because it just cut off. Others were telling me it was an electrical problem because it shuts off........so I didn't know who to believe. I am going to do what all of you are saying first before I try to figure out any electrical problems.

MR.BIG
04-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by hot450girl
Ok well it looks like I am going to drain the gas out and rip the carb out. I've had to do it so many times with the stupid float sticking that I am pretty much a pro at doing it. I will get my step dad to help me out though. I knew it had to do something with the gas because it just cut off. Others were telling me it was an electrical problem because it shuts off........so I didn't know who to believe. I am going to do what all of you are saying first before I try to figure out any electrical problems.

Just make sure you clean out the jets.

xx3003xrdrxx
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
lol is your gas turned on haha

hot450girl
04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
HEY!!! That is why I said first off that all the norms are right, so YES the gas was turned on! Just because I'm blonde doesn't mean I am stupid :o :D

Honda#4
04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
i dont think blondes r stupid its everybody that thinks blondes r stupid.

Honda#4
04-03-2006, 02:32 PM
i dont think blondes r stupid im one of them.

sakirocket28
04-03-2006, 03:25 PM
when the motor died when u were ridin it, was it a sputtering stop, or did it just suddenly die? iv had this prob b4 and im gonna 2nd the idea of checkin the pilot jet. good luck!

04-03-2006, 06:48 PM
yea gummed carb probably...

hot450girl
04-04-2006, 06:42 AM
It just shut completly off, you almost couldn't tell it stopped because there was no noise! I'm going to check all these things but I don't have time right now... :(