PDA

View Full Version : How often does your valves require different shims?

quad2xtreme
04-03-2006, 09:19 AM
I've installed all the other stuff in the HRC kit already except for the cam. I was going to take it to Dirt First for the valve adjustment though. Is it worth just getting the whole shim kit and doing it myself? How much does a whole kit of shims cost? How often would the valve clearances change? If it is set them once and then that is it then I won't need many shims. I know the valves on the 400ex never need adjusted. In fact, I got tired of checking them and just quit now. If I screw up a head then I will just get it rebuilt when that happens.

Anyhow, here is a picture of the bike all cleaned up and ready to go to Dirt First. I always take my bike to them totally stripped down and all cleaned up. If the mechanic is looking at two bikes that need work and one is going to require a bunch of time to get the plastic off, I figure he will work on mine first. :D So far, I always get it back quicker than expected.

/Jon

04-03-2006, 09:36 AM
my dealership did mine for $130 w/ parts, labor, and tax. I would have done it myself but I dont want this to be the first engine ive ever torn into. I went 2 years w/o reshimming mine (never did it before) and they said it did need it but I would have had to go through the spring riding season before it started to caus damage. with the HRC cam though you will need to reshim A LOT more often

xsr_racing28c
04-03-2006, 09:41 AM
It's actually not that tough, i watched my buddy do mine after putting my cam in, and basically you just need to get the specs, and be able to use a feeler gauge. You can buy a shim kit from hotcams for like $80 or so, and it'd be worth it just to have it around... i'd say you should check clearance after ever 25 hard hours... but thats probably overdoing it..

04-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
It's actually not that tough, i watched my buddy do mine after putting my cam in, and basically you just need to get the specs, and be able to use a feeler gauge. You can buy a shim kit from hotcams for like $80 or so, and it'd be worth it just to have it around... i'd say you should check clearance after ever 25 hard hours... but thats probably overdoing it.. i went 200 hours

450ss
04-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I have the HRC kit in my 04 R and I bought it with the kit already installed about a yr ago and I just took it to the dealer to get the valves checked thats the first service its needed motor wise my buddy says atleast once a yr and that comes from a group of riders that use there quads as everyday riding and dunes to drag racing at the track so I would say once a yr is good

300extreme#8
04-03-2006, 01:46 PM
if u race, check them around twice ayear or more depending how much u race, and check ur timing chain for wear, i believe, it's 6 thousands in the clearance and the shim kit is worth it