PDA

View Full Version : Clutch recommendation needed!

Chris S.
04-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Well I finally have all the electrical issues fixed and got a chance to ride yesterday. Everything worked great but I did notice a little clutch slippage 3-5 gear. The slippage was just a brief moment. It already has HD clutch springs. What brand components are the best performing and most durable, OEM, hinson, barnett, EBC or others? I think I will most likely buy a new basket, and clutch plates what else may I need or change while I have it a part?

Colby@C&DRacing
04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
oem, sparks 8 plate or the DP clutch are all nice as for a basket Hinson, moose (made by hinson) or the wiesco basket

400exrider707
04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
oem, sparks 8 plate or the DP clutch are all nice as for a basket Hinson, moose (made by hinson) or the wiesco basket

What about the barnett baskets? They seem very nice, and they also have the stainless steel inserts in the fingers to prevent wearing even more in the basket.

Colby@C&DRacing
04-03-2006, 11:08 AM
sorry forgot about the barnett

400exrider707
04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
sorry forgot about the barnett

Do any of the other billet baskets even have the stainless inserts?

300exQuadracer
04-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Vortex has a basket too, but it dosent have stainless inserts

Chris S.
04-03-2006, 04:22 PM
So is everyone agreeing that the Barnett basket is the best? And what about plates, OEM or Sparks? I want the best clutch possiable.

Eddiesanders250
04-03-2006, 06:54 PM
I think hinson is the best, but i dont think that you could mess up any of the baskets that the leading clutch companies make. unless u race alot or are really hard on the clutch. as far as the plates its a toss up i think, but i do know that everything sparks makes performs well.

honda460ex
04-03-2006, 09:56 PM
I know a lot of people say oem, but me personally I prefer my dirt digger barnett clutch. It works great and has for a while now. And trust me, I give it a work out.

400exrider707
04-04-2006, 09:44 AM
OEM seem to last longer IMO. The sparks is an 8 plate kit and is an upgrade from stock, but I think that comes with a special basket anyways to accept another plate. If I had the money I would just get the barnett basket and a new set of OEM plates and fibers....JMO

honda460ex
04-04-2006, 06:26 PM
That seems to be what a lot of guys recommend. OEM's from what I have heard do last longer.

underpowered
04-04-2006, 06:36 PM
8 plate kit comes with a new pressure plate, not a basket. I have a dirt digger and like it, but the stock one worked well also. The stock is more expensive than barnett, but does indeed last longer. The stock will have a tendency to slip in higher gears where the barnett will not. it is up to you.

jeremy_283
04-05-2006, 07:53 PM
I HATE BARNETT! they wore out quick! and not to mention when i got them the friction fibers looked like it was on some 3M......stockers are best....i am runnin ebc right now

Chris S.
04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Is a clutch basket a part in the clutch that wears out often or does the basekt last through several plate changes? I don't want to waste my money if its not necessary. One of my friends keeps telling me just to change the plates and save my money. My quad makes a lot of torque and I don't want the clutch slipping. I also don't want to change clutch plates and then a week later take it apart again to change the basket.

Eddiesanders250
04-07-2006, 10:45 AM
no you will want to change the basket if its stock. If its slipping the plates have created grroves in the side of the basket not letting it to separate all the way. You should replace the basket and your plates when you decide to do it.