PDA

View Full Version : just a few questions on a 400 ex

Jakeyracer
04-02-2006, 09:50 PM
alright i have an 02 EX and when i got it (around this winter) it had new oil, i am 15 and i havnt worked on quads that ofen so i have a couple of questions

1. what tire presures do you guys run

2. how often and how do you change oil

3. i have heard about spark plug location issuses info plz

4. what chain lube do you guys use

5. would you have to rejet the carb if you changed stock to k&n filter

thats all i need any replies will be helpful and please dont call me retarded i wasnt born knowing everything thank you:D

04TRX400EX
04-02-2006, 10:39 PM
1. Depends on terrain: 4.5-5lbs. on desert/dirt, 3.5-4lbs. on sand tires

2. About every 20 hours

3. Location issues? It's not the easiest thing to get to but it's not hard. BTW, it's on the front of the engine, in the center - follow the black plug wire to the yellow end. Pull off the plug wire, insert the spark plug wrench over the plug (the wrench came in your little tool set in the bike canister), turn the wrench with a screwdriver or something long and narrow by inserting it through the holes drilled in the wrench.

4. Maxima Chain Wax

5. Most likely, but not much. Maybe just from a 148 main to a 150. Depends on mods (slip-on too?) and altitude though.

hondamanex400
04-02-2006, 10:51 PM
1) i run 10 lbs in the front and between 7 and 10 lbs in the front, and mine are XCR's. but your sig says that you got HD's, so you can run no pressure cuz of the 6 ply. i just did rode my friends 300ex w/ HD's flat last weekend cuz i didnt have acess to any air.

2) it all depends on how much you ride. i will change mine after about 4 rides.

3) spark plugs are a bio-tch ifn you dont have the original spark plug tool. but it is on the front of the cylinder, on the top.

4) PJ-1

5) i dont think that youd have to change your jets after just an aftermarket filter. but you might have to mess w/ your air-fuel mixture screw, and possibly the idle screw.

hope this helps, and if anyone would call you retarded, they are retarded themselfs, cuz there was once upon a time that they didnt know these answeres either.

Plante400
04-02-2006, 11:20 PM
lol 7-10? what in the hell

hondamanex400
04-03-2006, 01:19 AM
yea i know...i always get that responce. but it works great for me, i do alot of fast, rough, trail riding, and its what i found works best. the only time that i went lower than 7 lbs on the front, i got a flat with in an hour. so i jest never go lower than 7 lbs

Jakeyracer
04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
thank you guys for your answers (sp) i hear ya about that riding HDs flat that is why i ask cus i was looking over my 400 and i hadnt chaecked the tire persures since buyin it and i read the little tire psi thing on th side of my HD an it said max pressure is 36psi and when i checked it it was at 0.5 psi and i thought my pressure thing was broke but all my other onse read the same:p

again thank you guys

striker1001
04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
1. 5.0 PSI
2.Every 4-5 rides
3.I just use my spark wrench to get out the plug. It's fairly easy to take out.
4. I use motul chain lube
5. Rejet would be a good idea

Jakeyracer
04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
what if you dont have the spark plug wrench that came with it cuz the guy who was the first owner raced like twice and never modiffied (sp) it but he got rid of the things he didnt think he would need like the owners manual and all the other little things and also where is the drain plug for the oil cuz i dont want to drain the wrong thing

thank you guys:)

400exrules
04-04-2006, 09:34 PM
before you unscrew the spark plug, take an air hose or somethin and blow air down in their to blow any dirt out, so when you pull the plug out, dirt doesnt fall down into the cylinder

striker1001
04-04-2006, 10:24 PM
I read somewhere that home centers like home depot should sell them. Go to the area where they sell yard work equipment like lawn mowers and weed whakers and such and they should have them there. I believe its either 18mm or 17mm, not quite sure.