PDA

View Full Version : CAM/Piston

450RRyder
04-02-2006, 08:53 PM
So I know you guys have upgraded your cams, so how many of you just dropped it in with no clearence issues and also i know that some of you put in pistons also. I have a JE13.1 and i wanted to know if i could just drop it in or did I really havve to file the gaps on the rings. Help me out guys.

drider
04-02-2006, 08:57 PM
yes you will need to re shim. Eventhough some makers say it's a drop in cam, most of the time. You will need to re shim. I put it a Hot cam's, HRC cam. all needed to re shim. i wouldnt run it without re shimming, dont skip a part by not re shimming.

compedge
04-02-2006, 09:12 PM
I did a je 13:1 piston stock bore and a hot cam 2. Everything was just drop in. BUT I did check everthing first. I checked ring gap and valve to piston clearence. its nice to know your motor is put together correctly.

450RRyder
04-02-2006, 10:24 PM
so how did you know how to set the gaps on the rings

DirtDevilBT
04-03-2006, 12:20 PM
put them in the cylinder and measure, if they come out in spec he used them.

Always check all clearances. Cams are call "drop ins" because they don't need any modifications to the valvetrain or valve guides. All cams need to be checks, drop in or not. The piston clearances and ring gaps need to be checked and cut if neccessary. Don't skip steps, go pick up a manual and do the job right. If you though things together just make sure not to B I T C H about the parts you used later.

450RRyder
04-03-2006, 09:56 PM
thanks for the info guy do anymore of you racers have any thoughts on the situation.

04-04-2006, 10:04 AM
i just installed a JE 11.5:1 piston with a hotcams Stage 1 cam this weekend.
the piston ring end gaps had to be ground to spec. because JE makes them oversized. not sure what other manufacturers do, but this was a pain in the *** for me. ended up buying another set of rings and having Colby at C&D grind them for me.

i did not check my piston to valve clearance. but, i did turn the motor over by hand, to make sure nothing was hitting.
honestly, i do not know how to check piston to valve clearance.
can anyone explain how?

cals400ex
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
you should not HAVE to check piston to valve clearance with a regular drop in cam and a regular aftermarket piston. gapping rings is a total different story though. that has nothiing to do with valves or the cam. you need to do it with every piston. there is a good chance you will need to change shims. mine were a ways off from the factory.

04-05-2006, 09:51 AM
listen to this.....it does not make sense to me.

before changing my cam and piston, my quad made a
very noticeable "rattle" noise when at idle.
i checked my shim clearances prior to removing the stock components and they were extremely tight. i'm talking 0.003" clearance at all (4) valves.

i replaced the cam and piston. properly set my valve clearances. and now, the "rattle" noise is barely there.

this doesn't make sense to me. i would think a "rattle" would be caused by loose clearances.

450RRyder
04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Dup guys so i have dropped in the goodies, I made my first rookie mistake by not setting the timming correct, so when I went to crank it that infamous valve slapping began. :( So I rechecked the timming and I was off by three teeth. Well I have it together and what a differance a cam an piston made. I havent started using race gas yet but the 93 is aight for now. Do you guys have anymore advice on performance.:D