PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake caliper help!

4wheeldude
07-29-2002, 04:21 PM
This is my first time to change out the rear brakes. Well, the piston thing was rusted a bit so I sanded it down lightly to get the rust off. I am going to get a blockoff plate soon. When I put the piston back in and I press the brake, it doesnt move. Could the brake lines be clogged or something? Or maybe not enough fluid is inside the lines? Should I pour in fluid when I take the piston out? Im using honda dot 4 fluid. Any help or suggestions to help me get it working would be great. Sorry, Im a noob. Help.

Razorback
07-29-2002, 08:52 PM
the piston may be rusted as well. in that case you're going to have to take it apart, clean it up, and put it back in. you'll probably want to drain the fluid, put new in and bleed it good to get the air out of the line. you might want to try some channel lock pliers or some sort of clamp to try and get that thing to move. also, pb spray or wd-40 might help loosen it up. be sure to grease those two bolts that go through the pads when you put it back together. it'll keep the brakes working well and keep them from seizing. good luck.

4wheeldude
07-29-2002, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I just ordered the block-off also.