PDA

View Full Version : I will put your fears to rest

z400clone
04-02-2006, 08:30 PM
OK good peoples, I have been stirring the pot lately with white plug posts. Thought I had to be lean. White plug, white exhaust on tip, red header for quite a ways back and others leading me to believe that it is lean. And my exhaust is really white coming out of the tip!

I have the full RS-5 ex.(SA pulled out), lid off, CB, 50% 110 octane race/50% 91 pump gas.

Well I spent the $$ to figure out what is up. This isn't my best run, but it shows the a/f ratio really well.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d41/friedad1/Picture338.jpg

How do you like that a/f flatline jetting?

I think this might be my best run of 48hp and 33.5 ft/lbs of torque

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d41/friedad1/Picture339.jpg

For all the nay sayers that are saying these things are slow are full of poop. Piped only '06 450's, this is the fastest. I was asked on many occasions what all I had done. I responded that a pipe was all I knew that was out there really. If I was missing out on some new cams on the market, they should let me know. They quit with the probing then. :D

And b/c I spent the coin on the run, I'll go ahead and add one of my scrawny @ss just messin' around. ;)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d41/friedad1/Picture321.jpg

04-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I am unclear, were you only running the cherry bomb. Or did you use a fuel controller? If so what brand?

z400clone
04-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by z400clone

I have the full RS-5 ex.(SA pulled out), lid off, CB, 50% 110 octane race/50% 91 pump gas.

that's it

Mike Jones
04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Is the spark arrestor a PITA to get outta the Yoshi silencer?:cool:

DezSled
04-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Could you explain in laymans terms what the flatline means for the air fuel graph, I can understand the upper graph. What is the optimum a/f mixture?
I have been running 100% vp c12 just to prevent any problems and the exhaust tip is kinda white-ish still. Runs nice tho

AceLtz
04-03-2006, 01:21 AM
From my understanding the red line is the optimum a/f at 13:1. The blue line shows what the engine is running at, below the line is rich, above is lean. From the lower rpms it looks a little rich. Other than that it looks dead on. Pretty even throughout.

bwamos
04-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Aye. red line is 13:1. Look slike he's running 12.8 - 13.2. That's a pretty dang flat a/f curve. Very nice.

Still odd that at 13:1 it runs grey/white. Must have a very efficent combustion. Or perhaps the fuel atomizes better due to the injectors. I have no clue.. lol.

z400clone
04-03-2006, 03:56 PM
13:1 A/F ratio is a pretty conservative ratio, but it was just kinda set as a baseline. Thumpers can take 13.5:1 no problem. Actually they keep making more hp the leaner you go 13.5:1-14.5:1, but I wouldn't go much leaner than 13.5:1 myself. Anyways, 13:1 is just kind of a standard. Good for 2 strokers to abide by, but the thumpers can push leaner #'s.

slief
04-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Z400, Thanks for the info and nice picture by the way!

This seems like good news and would indicate that what Yoshi was saying was correct.. "Full RS5 with Sparky removed, Airbox Lid removed and a Cherry Bomb were safe and tested with 50/50 face fuel and super unleaded".

I was worried as I have a trip to the sand dunes coming up and thought I may be running lean as I have the above combo.

How important is the race fuel in the mix? It is a pain in the butt having a fuel station and needing to mix gas. I already do it for my sons KX65 and the last thing I want to do is carry another gas can in the Toy Hauler if I dont have to.

From what I understand, race fuel does not effect the air / fuel ratio. I know the higher octane would prevent pinging and from what I hear the race fuel makes it run cooler but if you are running rich, running cooler should not be much of a factor??
I have seen the glowing pipes but even stock headers will glow in the dark if the bike idles for a while.

z400clone
04-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I have not ran it hard/raced with just pump gas. I did run straight 91 at home, but at the dunes is another deal. Way more load on the motor. I will let someone else see if the motor predetonates with a big load on it with 91 pump.......

AceLtz
04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
about 35 hours and counting with 91 pump gas and no problems at all :)

jfarrar30
04-03-2006, 05:54 PM
i have noticed that running the leaded race fuels such as c-12 and the like will leave a greyish whitesh residue on your exhaust tip.a;so fpr those of you with the glowing pipe worries i put the trinity controller on mine trying to get rid of the glowing headpipe and have had no success.i've went from a smooth idle till it had so much fuel it wouldnt idle in 8 different increments and the head pipe glowed the same amount at every setting.its just gonna glow nothing to worry about.combination of thin tubing and no airflow at an idle.look at it this way if you smoke maybe you can light your smokes off it!

slief
04-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by jfarrar30
look at it this way if you smoke maybe you can light your smokes off it!

I can see how that might come in handy! :cool:

J,
How did the Trinity work out for you? Any more power or would you have waited (in hindsight)?

jfarrar30
04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
well its a long story.lol.i removed the cherry bomb and installed the trinity as told.lost the added rpms and also a ton of bottom from being waay to rich.so after a day of messing with settings and that i said screw it im gonna put the cherry bomb back on (with the trinity)and see if i can lean it out enough to run.so i did and i have gotten it dialed in fairly decent although i am on nearly the leanest settings you can go with.i now have a slight increase in topend power but a small amount less in the midrange from being to rich and a smooth idle compared to what i had with just the cherry bomb.it also starts alot better when hot it will fire right back up at anytime right now.before it would take a couple cranks at times.
i am hearing that when you remove the cherry bomb that you do nee to disconnect the batterry to erase the memory in the ecu before adding the trinity.i havent tried that because with out the added rpm it is pretty much useless to me.the stock revlimit just dont cut it on a track.
to make a long story short all i have obtained is a smoother idle,better starts,and slightly more top with the cherry and the trinity at the same time.also lost a small amount of mid.i will be adding a better flowing filter soon and the tunability will be nice then but ith just a pipe and open filter i thnk the bomb is all you need.i do have a yoshi ems on order so when it comes ill be happy

ml450r
04-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Mike Jones
Is the spark arrestor a PITA to get outta the Yoshi silencer?:cool:

was it?

Mike Jones
04-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ml450r
was it?

ehh...not really. Kinda sucked cause I had to drill a little hole to get to the bolt that holds the spark arrestor in place. There is no way to get to the bolt with an allen wrench...

The pipe RIPS though...:cool:

AL Elks
04-08-2006, 09:08 PM
I also had a problem getting mine out. As stated earlier the allen bolt does not align properly with the cutout on the bottom of the exaust tip. I had to slightly bend the top enought to get the allen wrench in. I plan on taking my Dremel and a grinding stone and elongating the cutout so it's a straight shot to the allen bolt. That way I can just pop it back in if I ride anywhere that requires the sparky.

The other problem was that the baffle/sparky was STUCK and I had to pry up the bottom lip and it popped right out.

RIDER11X
04-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by jfarrar30
look at it this way if you smoke maybe you can light your smokes off it!

Can be done....Crazy Honda does it with his YFZ.:devil:

SteveNB1
09-09-2006, 05:08 PM
What do you think the K&N will do?
K&N is a must for the dunes but I hate to drop the jack on the PIM/FIMAK.

Great Info!

jayman
09-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Ok guys, for those of you that have the controllers I need your help. I currently have a full trinity exhaust, lid off, cherry bomb, pro flow filter (with k&n) and dobeck controller. I used the settings for the controller that they recommend and this bikes sucks! It is always popping and seems to of loss power. Do any of you have this set up and if so what settings are you using. By the way I live in Florida if that helps to answer any questions about elevation.

Maxxis96
09-10-2006, 07:40 AM
If I put a Full yosh on my LTR with Cherry Bomb and air box lid removed will it be OK??

THanks
Justin

armysig
09-10-2006, 10:56 AM
You're going to be more than ok. You'll gain about 7.5 HP just doing what you listed for mods.

If you don't do the Yosh pipe, and just go with the CB and air lid removeal you're going to have one of the cheapest mods to gain a huge amount of HP.

Maxxis96
09-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah I have the lid off and CB but Im thinking of an Exhaust...

Any thoughts on just doing a Yosh slip-on?

Thanks
Justin