PDA

View Full Version : ahh help me

Honda TRX250ex
04-02-2006, 05:08 PM
How do i get a striped hex bolt out? Like the ones found on the brake caplier to take the brake pads off.

OutCast
04-02-2006, 05:12 PM
If the head is sticking out, you can grind flat spots on two side of it and use some vise grips to get it off. If you can get to the bolt from the sides, you'll probably need to drill the head off of the bolts and then use vise grips to remove the rest.

Honda TRX250ex
04-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by OutCast
If the head is sticking out, you can grind flat spots on two side of it and use some vise grips to get it off. If you can get to the bolt from the sides, you'll probably need to drill the head off of the bolts and then use vise grips to remove the rest.
Its in a hole and i cant get anything in there. I cant get any alen (sp) wrenches to fit either.

OutCast
04-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by OutCast
you'll probably need to drill the head off of the bolts and then use vise grips to remove the rest.

prepracing
04-02-2006, 05:40 PM
yeah those are tuff when that head strips, I have found 2 successful ways at getting them out.

1. drill a hole in the bolt and use an EZ out bolt extractor

2. find a small hex head bolt and tac weld the thread end to the stripped head. Then you have the hex head bolt to use a wrench or ratchet on.

Just an FYI, those bolts are bad to seize up so when you put your new ones in put some anti-seize compund on them and just give them a good snug tightening. The little flat head cap screws that go on top will keep them from backing off also.

Good Luck :macho

400exrules
04-02-2006, 05:44 PM
idk how to help you, but most stock bolts are screws are pretty much crap. especially those brass carb screws, they're freakin rediculous. I replaced all of them with stainless steel screws, you might want to do the same to some of your bolts and screws to prevent these problems.

Honda TRX250ex
04-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks we will probly tact weld an alen wrench onto it like prepracing said