PDA

View Full Version : sprokets??

preddymoto
04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
what is everyone running for sprokets and what type of riding do you do?? i ride a lot of trails but also track it also. trying to figure out a better ratio.

wolffie
04-02-2006, 05:56 PM
the stock setup isnt bad IMO. if you want to shift less you could go to a 14T front sprocket! your mods should pull that, and that could be an advantage depending on what kind of trails you ride. you will lose a bit of acceleration though. expect to gain at least 5mph on the top end however!

wolffie
04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
hey preddymoto, forgot to ask, but how do you like your I-Razrs? i was thinking about getting them but wasnt really sure what their main purpose is for! are they primarily for mud/soft terrain, or hard packed stuff? what is the wear life on those beasts? also if at all possible, do you think you could post some pics of yours up in the pred forums? thanks:D

Blood500
04-02-2006, 10:21 PM
13-38 for the trails and the track should be perfect for ya, but sence you have a 04 you should change the rear instead of the front. I have a gear ratio chart ill try and find for you.

preddymoto
04-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
hey preddymoto, forgot to ask, but how do you like your I-Razrs? i was thinking about getting them but wasnt really sure what their main purpose is for! are they primarily for mud/soft terrain, or hard packed stuff? what is the wear life on those beasts? also if at all possible, do you think you could post some pics of yours up in the pred forums? thanks:D

how do i go about posting the pic's? i'm pretty illiterate when it comes to pc's. the i razr's are pretty sweet but next time around i'm gonna go witht he razr II's they seem to have more bite to them. a buddy of mine has them on his 450r and they seem to bite more.

preddymoto
04-03-2006, 01:37 PM
the predator come's with a 14 t sprocket stock if i'm mistaken

wolffie
04-03-2006, 06:52 PM
yeah you are right i was thinking of my brothers quad! he has a 13:rolleyes:

bumping to a 15 if you can pull it. Blood500 is right though, you might want to just down a tooth or so on the rear so you can "fine" tune your gearing so to speak. thanks for the tire info by the way:D

preddymoto
04-05-2006, 06:51 PM
my pred has a 37 tooth rear sproket now where should i go up or down you think??

VegasEx'r
04-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by preddymoto
my pred has a 37 tooth rear sproket now where should i go up or down you think??

Do you want to accelerate faster, or have a faster top speed?

If you go to a larger rear sprocket, you will increase acceleration and lose top end speed. A smaller rear sprocket will decrease acceleration and increase top end speed. The front sprocket is the exact opposite.

If you want to have a higher top speed AND accelerate faster, then you need to add HP.

The rule of thumb I have always heard & used is that adding/dropping one tooth on the front sprocket is about the same as adding/dropping 3 teeth on the rear. So if the gearing seems close, try changing the rear. If it seems totally off, try changing the front.

Hope that helps.

On edit: To answer your first question, for desert riding/racing, I use stock gearing. For dunes I drop one tooth in the front & either leave the rear stock (@ Dumont) or add 3 (!) (@ Amargosa). Keep in mind that I am a big guy (~270 #'s w/ riding gear) so I need to be geared low to pull my fat arse up the hills. :D

wolffie
04-06-2006, 07:40 PM
^^^haha nice man!

i am going to buy a 15T on predatorowners.com so i will tell you how that works with my mods (in sig)

preddymoto
04-07-2006, 09:04 AM
sweet **** i was contemplating going down 1 tooth in the back and seeing what that does. altough right now my track is a high 3rd track i don't wanna make it a low 4th no power then. who knows i'll just have to experiment. i'll post my findings

LaLaLoosh
05-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Here is the sprocket ratio sheet.

Norules2891
05-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Here's another gear ratio chart if you want more flexibility.

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/images/ratioa.gif

wolffie
05-23-2006, 02:10 PM
i went from a 14T front up to a 15T front. my mods are a s/o and the civic intake. with the 14T, the quad revvs out really fast (especially with the pipe and intake). The 15T levels everything out again, but it did not diminsh acceleration! since i was just revving through my first 3 gears anyways, the 15T just allowed me to go a little further in each gear.

the only problem i have, is the gap between 4rth to 5th seems to be a bit worse (like it was any good before:rolleyes: ). Mind you i have the TLD pred, which i think would only be affected by this because of its gear ratios. if anyone wants to try this setup, i would reccomend it as long as you mods can pull it, and you dont mind a slight blip from 4rth to 5th.