PDA

View Full Version : New daylight savings time

prepracing
04-02-2006, 04:22 AM
President Bush has signed a law changing the dates of daylight-saving time, effective in 2007. Then, daylight time will start three weeks earlier, March 11, and will end one week later, Nov. 4.

......What the crap, I wonder how much time and money was wasted on that decision
:grr:

450r51
04-02-2006, 05:44 AM
does it really bother you that much?

of all the things to complain about why this!

Giz400ex
04-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by 450r51
does it really bother you that much?

of all the things to complain about why this! Because Mr. Bush shouldn't be concerned about daylight savings, he should be concerned about other things like.........war, fuel, jobs ect.....:mad:

Honda#4
04-02-2006, 10:03 AM
amen to that, who thinks we should have a different president.

Warnerade
04-02-2006, 10:33 AM
no matter what the man does, he's going to be critisized for it...

but the bottom line, hes the one making 400,000 a year

Moto92
04-02-2006, 11:06 AM
i remember that being in the news a long time ago. i believe the thought behind it is we will have more daylight hours and people wont turn on lights so it will be saving electricity.

Honda#4
04-02-2006, 11:43 AM
just to correct u he makes $500,000 a year.when i was in government we read about that stuff and all of his cabnet personal makes anywhere from $125,000 to $250,000 a year.

Warnerade
04-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
just to correct u he makes $500,000 a year.when i was in government we read about that stuff and all of his cabnet personal makes anywhere from $125,000 to $250,000 a year. ok..your gonna argue with me when i got an A in governemtn alst year and remembered it exactly, and even pulled the stats up to check.

2003 $400,000

miller821
04-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
ok..your gonna argue with me when i got an A in governemtn alst year and remembered it exactly, and even pulled the stats up to check.

2003 $400,000
Thats in 03' though man. I dunno what it is now, but i'm sure its gonna up a little.

Warnerade
04-02-2006, 12:26 PM
i dont see a salary raising 100,000 in 3 years.

Honda#4
04-02-2006, 12:27 PM
o i'm sorry then i though u were talking about the present i didnt mean to argue with u.yea thats about right then.

Warnerade
04-02-2006, 12:27 PM
no need to apologize

prepracing
04-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Because Mr. Bush shouldn't be concerned about daylight savings, he should be concerned about other things like.........war, fuel, jobs ect.....:mad:

EXACTLY.......anyway who new it took a law to get passed for a couple extra days of daylight savings time. And on top of that what about Hawaii and Arizona that don't even observe daylight savings time. I saw where some of Indiana did not always observing daylight savings time, but are going to now for the 1st time in like 30years.

derekhonda
04-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
EXACTLY.......anyway who new it took a law to get passed for a couple extra days of daylight savings time. And on top of that what about Hawaii and Arizona that don't even observe daylight savings time. I saw where some of Indiana did not always observing daylight savings time, but are going to now for the 1st time in like 30years.

Yep...never seen so many confused people before. How hard is it to change the clock one hour ahead?

zeppelin
04-02-2006, 06:19 PM
what the hell?, do you actualy think that Bush sat around his office making up the dates and doing all the other work to make the law? hell no! he has other people for that the only thing he did was probably read half of the bill and ask his advisors what they thought about it, then sign his approval.

prepracing
04-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
what the hell?, do you actualy think that Bush sat around his office making up the dates and doing all the other work to make the law? hell no! he has other people for that the only thing he did was probably read half of the bill and ask his advisors what they thought about it, then sign his approval.

uuummmm gee thanks, BUT no I didn't think that the President sat around and thought this up.......everybody knows the whole "how a bill becomes a law". I guess I should have titled this different, I was just more curious than anything about this, I mean why would they even bother to change daylight saving time dates and have to make a law on it. The next thing your know there will be a law to make Feburary have 31 days :devil:
You can tell I am pretty bored at work tonight talking in my thread about daylights saving time :D

honduh440
04-02-2006, 06:38 PM
why would anyone be mad at this?????

it sucks bad when it gets dark at 6pm everydaynow its gonna be a hour later thank god

coryatver
04-02-2006, 06:54 PM
500,000 is not that much. The guy has probley one of the most stressful, and important jobs you can get. Pro athletes make that much in a couple games.

JUSTINcredible
04-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
why would anyone be mad at this?????

it sucks bad when it gets dark at 6pm everydaynow its gonna be a hour later thank god

exactly what i was thinking

MOFO
04-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Does anyone actually have a clue in this thread?

The reason this bill was passed - or the date was changed is to save energy. I'm not sure of the exact figures, but it was a significant amount.

I cant believe some people think he's doing it just to do something... :rolleyes:

MOFO
04-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Because Mr. Bush shouldn't be concerned about daylight savings, he should be concerned about other things like.........war, fuel, jobs ect.....:mad:

funny you should say this... the reason he changed daylight savings is to REDUCE energy used = fuel.

I guess in your eyes, he's damned if he does and damned if he does not. :rolleyes:

TheFontMaster
04-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I really don't see the point in daylight savings time. I would rather have the extra light at night durring the winter.

Pappy
04-02-2006, 07:40 PM

lol....do they teach you kids anything in school these days except "just say no":p

04-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lol....do they teach you kids anything in school these days except "just say no":p

lol nice one pappy and yes, they do ;)

and i dont see why some of u lefties are all over bush....he signed something to save energy for us. u r complaining about high electricity costs and fuel costs and now he goes to try to change things, and you complain about it :confused:

ur retarted, all of u lefties

LTZ400rider
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
i dunno what the salarie has to do with anything, but for a job that stressful a half mill wouldnt cut it for me. but he does get everything for free i bet

prepracing
04-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Does anyone actually have a clue in this thread?

The reason this bill was passed - or the date was changed is to save energy. I'm not sure of the exact figures, but it was a significant amount.

I cant believe some people think he's doing it just to do something... :rolleyes:

FINALLY....acutally I had very little clue :devil: , I was just curious on why it was done. Seeing that answer that actually makes good sense

Giz400ex
04-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
funny you should say this... the reason he changed daylight savings is to REDUCE energy used = fuel.

I guess in your eyes, he's damned if he does and damned if he does not. :rolleyes: Well, I guess a few weeks more a year will make a difference:confused: Whoop da friggin do!!!!!! You can jam all that saving fuel or energy crap down my throat but I'm not falling for it! Because of this, it will be another reason to raise prices even more. By the end of this year, we'll see the benefit of this and it won't be either my pocket nor yours:D :cool:

SGA
04-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Heres some interesting reading I found on the net

It's time to spring forward again.

Daylight saving time begins this weekend in most of the united states.

Proponents say the practice of moving clocks forward one hour in the spring gives people more quality time in the evenings and helps to save energy.

But the concept isn't new.

Did you know:

*The correct term is Daylight Saving (not "Savings") Time.

*The concept of Daylight Saving Time was first put forth by Benjamin Franklin in 1784, more than 200 years ago.

*Franklin proposed the measure as a way to poke fun at Parisians, but the idea caught on with his friends.

*The concept was first adopted in the United Kingdom in 1916 after William Willett wrote a pamphlet called "The Waste of Daylight" in 1907. It was called "British Summer Time."

*The United States adopted Daylight Saving Time during World War 1 in 1918 and kept it until the war ended.

*Daylight Saving Time was also observed in 1919, but proved so unpopular it was repealed.

*Britain moved its clocks two hours ahead during world war two and called the practice "Double Summer Time."

*The United States went back to Daylight Saving Time during World War II, moving forward in February of 1942 and not going back until September 30, 1945.

*From 1945 to 1966 there was no national law concerning Daylight Saving Time, so local governments were free to set their time as they pleased.

*In 1966, Congress passed the Uniform Time Act, setting Daylight Saving Time to begin on the last weekend in April and end on the last weekend in October.

*The Uniform Time act did not make states adopt DST, but did say if they did, it needed to be done in concert with other states.

*The law was amended to have DST begin on the first weekend in April in 1986.

*Congress passed the Energy Policy Act in 2005. Under that law, Daylight Saving Time will begin on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November.

*The new period begins in 2007, and will be studied by the Department of Energy. Congress reserves the right to revert back to the 2005 schedule if warranted.

*For the U.S. and its territories, Daylight Saving Time is not observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Arizona.

*The Navajo nation participates in the Daylight Saving Time policy, even in Arizona, due to its large size and location in three states.

SGA
04-02-2006, 09:49 PM
And I found this about the new law

On Monday August 8, 2005 President Bush signed into law a broad energy bill that will extend Daylight Saving Time by four weeks in 2007. The provisions of the bill call for Daylight Saving Time to begin three weeks earlier on the second Sunday in March and end one week later on the first Sunday in November. Currently Daylight Saving Time starts on the first Sunday in April and ends on the last Sunday in October.

In 2007 when the provisions take effect Daylight Saving Time will begin on March 11 and end on November 4, 2007.

While polls indicate most people favor extending Daylight Saving Time there are opponents who fought against the extension. The airline industry has said it will cost millions of dollars to change schedules and some school systems have concerns that students will be waiting for the bus in darkness in the mornings. It is expected that school systems will issue advisories to both parents and students on how to handle these situations.

There have been many proponents of extending Daylight Saving Time, including operators of golf courses, theme parks and businesses providing outdoor activities.

Daylight Saving Time Extended - Pros and Cons

Pros

Energy Savings - will possibly save 100,000 barrels of oil daily. People will turn interior and exterior lights on later in the day which will save electricity. Lighting for evening sports events can be turned on one hour later.
Recreation Time - people will have more time to enjoy outdoor activities such as golf, tennis and theme parks.
Farming - many farmers work part time and will have an extra hour to work after they arrive home. Full time farmers may not benefit.

Cons

School Children - will possibly wait in the pitch dark for the school bus. Example, in Louisville, Kentucky sunrise will occur at 8:01 on March 11, 2007, however, Louisville schools currently begin classes at 7:40 for middle and high school.
Business - the airline industry claims it will cost millions of dollars to adjust schedules.
Computers, Clocks and Gadgets - many electronic devices automatically adjust for day light saving time. Some of these devices will show incorrect times. Some computer software will have to be reprogrammed

04-02-2006, 09:54 PM
can u list your sources u got this info. from? Its not fair to the writer

SGA
04-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
can u list your sources u got this info. from? Its not fair to the writer

Here you go (http://www.howlatthemoon.com/photos_june05/iindy/dont_think_so.jpg)

04-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by quad&dirtbike

and i dont see why some of u lefties are all over bush....he signed something to save energy for us. u r complaining about high electricity costs and fuel costs and now he goes to try to change things, and you complain about it :confused:

ur retarted, all of u lefties ya those lefties r all rlly retards:rolleyes:

MOFO
04-03-2006, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
FINALLY....acutally I had very little clue :devil: , I was just curious on why it was done. Seeing that answer that actually makes good sense

No problem... sorry to be a tad harsh, but the anti-Bush and lefty crowd is like dealing with little children. :devil:

Warnerade
04-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by quad&dirtbike

ur retarted, all of u lefties if your going to call one person retarded...yet alone an entire group...atleast learn how to spell.