PDA

View Full Version : flat tires

400exrules
04-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Im trying to find something to help prevent flats. ive never had one, but ive just started racing harescrambles, so im trying to get prepared for everything. Should i carry and extra set of mounted tires/rims to the races with me to keep in the pits incase i get a flat? Or should i just slime my tires before hand?

94F450SD
04-01-2006, 09:59 PM
i would slime them but use the ATV slime not the green stuff and keep a spare set of tires with me.or atleast 1 front and rear tire on rims

400exrules
04-02-2006, 09:08 AM
when you slime them, can you still change the air pressure afterwards? Because i have a set of stock fronts, and i cant add or take away air pressure at all, so i was guessing they're slimed

94F450SD
04-03-2006, 06:50 AM
yes you can still mess with the air pressures after slimeing them.

400exrules
04-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 94F450SD
yes you can still mess with the air pressures after slimeing them.

are you sure, because i cant adjust the pressure on my stock fronts at all, no air will come out or go in.

so, i can slime my tires, and add or remove air after they have been slimed whenever i want? Will they still come off the rim if i decide to put a new set of tires on the rims?

DJJ450r
04-03-2006, 03:05 PM
get Tireballs wont have to worry about flats ever again:macho

450RGNCC
04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Tire balls are WAY too expensive for the average person. Your best bet is just to carry an extra set of tires along (atleast one front and one back) and make sure that they are the same size as the ones on your bike (preferably the same brand and type as well). I have never used slime like that but I would think that would just add more weight to your tires and rotating mass which isnt necesarily good, and if you get a big puncture in your tire, the slime will not help you. As for your stock tires and not being able to change air pressure, it sounds like the valve stem is clogged. Take out the little valve inside the stem (if you have the tool) and see if there is a clog or maybe you need a new valve.

P.S. When mounting/ dismounting tires with slime in them, it can be VERY messy

400exrules
04-03-2006, 04:39 PM
k ive been readin up, and looks like i dont want to use slime. Too much of a pain when removing the tires, and many other bad things.

im prob just gonna get some plugs and patches and a can of Co2, how long does it take to put in a plug or patch? Could i do it real quick on a pitstop during a race, and get back in the race?

04-03-2006, 10:35 PM
slime works good

and yes you can still adjust the presser
you mush have something wrong with your fronts

450RGNCC
04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
it would be a lot faster to just change the wheel/ tire on a pit stop than to patch it and refill it with air, plus it would be a lot easier

04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
put slime in before the race :huh