PDA

View Full Version : best improvements for $1,000

450rJam
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I got the 06 hrc 450r, I have about 1k to drop into it.
what is the most improvement for the money ?
I do a little of everything, drag/dunes/woods/trails
the trails around here are pretty tight so if i go wider it cant be much at all.
exhaust?
shock revalve?
wider arms ?
or ?
is 1000 enough to do like a slip on and something else ?
I really like the tribal graphic tatoo kit but seems its impossible to get now.

prepracing
04-01-2006, 09:09 PM
revalve the shocks for your weight and riding style ( XC ), and get some 6 ply tires ( ITP or Maxis ) and maybe a slip on pipe. You should be able to do that for around $1000 if you shop around and get some good prices.

450robot
04-01-2006, 09:09 PM
i would say full exhaust, and gt thundr revalves front and rear with link

that should be 1000, or just a lil over

mills_racing
04-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
i would say full exhaust, and gt thundr revalves front and rear with link

that should be 1000, or just a lil over

What he said.

450rJam
04-02-2006, 07:35 AM
what exactly does the revalving do ?
I have done searches and seems everyone likes c&d or gt thunder
the gt thunder has a link ? what is a link ?
someone posted "you get what you pay for" and that c&d was a little more $ but worth it .
I am leaning to the rossier full exhaust (black)
so I guess I need to figure who to revalve.
I also read in here that the gt thunder is a little quicker turn around.
I want the best play toy I can get for the $ but dont everyone.

mills_racing
04-02-2006, 07:49 AM
get Laz at GT Thunder to set you up, he can explain everythang a little better for what you are wanting to do. www.gtthunder.com

300extreme#8
04-02-2006, 09:54 AM
i say buy tires, more important, what the point and put all this if ur tires arent helpin u any, i'd get tires and then get shocks and pipe

450rJam
04-02-2006, 10:16 AM
what type tires ? the stock ones grab 10 times better than the trail claws on my 250r, they make them better ? haha
tires are not too much $ maybe I could get shocks redone and tires and a slip on ?
man i just need to call a million people and see what prices are on everything then see which ones i can get.
only prob is the wife wont let me spend more on it later. so the mods I do will be all I can do to it until next year.
is there a slip on that fits the hrc header ? and how much better is it ? most slip ons I have seen are about 250 bucks.
I know I can search the net and spend hours trying to deside what to do but the experience you guys have in here can save me sooooooooooo much time and money by buying the right stuff the first time.
I want to thank you and I mean it.

maxamillion
04-02-2006, 10:37 AM
If it were me...I would go with protection, then performace. I would buy a chassis skid along with a swingarm skid to protect your nice new frame, rotors, and sprockets. Next I would purchase a set of nerfs. Thats puts you at around $400.

Then you still have $600 to get your shocks revalved and set up for you. I would hold off on the tires until those are worn out or until the get a few of punctures in them.

quadfam4
04-02-2006, 11:13 AM
IMO the best mod you can do for any bike is SUSPENSION !!!
No matter how fast your motor is it's a waste unless you can use it. My son used to race a stock motored 250r with extended a-arms and axel and pep shocks all around. Did very well at the tracks he raced at and made the main event at a pro quad race in anaheim stadium a few years ago with it. Too bad you are limiting yourself to 1000. For just a little more you could get a-arms, axel, and shock revalve. Do any of your friends have a bike with suspension you can try? It makes such a huge difference. You already have the HRC kit that really wakes that motor up. Don't waste a few hundred dollars in a pipe for just a couple hp AT BEST over your hrc kit. Put your $$$$ where you'll use it the most - in suspension!!!

mills_racing
04-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Right now im running kenda knarly rears with klaw fronts and they perform well. Kenda also has some new tires (8 diffrent ones i think) that are in production and should be avaliable soon that are really good tires and could easily fit in your budget.

400exstud
04-02-2006, 03:01 PM
First I would get some good nerfs - $200
Then I would get some good tires on good rims ~ $500 -600
Then I would get an HMF slip-on ~ $200

If you save up $200 more you can get an HMF full system.

exrider44
04-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Go suspension its one of the best things to do first

04TRX400EX
04-02-2006, 11:01 PM
I would say suspension as well. The HRC kit will give you a power advantage over stock, so don't worry too much about the engine right now. The '06s are said to be extremely stiff, so keeping with your $1000 budget, I would say front +2 a-arms (unless your worried about being too wide on tight trails) and a revalve of your shocks. Don't waste your money on tires right now, your stock tires are perfectly fine for all-around riding and should get you a good year before needing new ones. An exhaust and a K&N will help with giving you the last bit of power if you still want more. I would say suspension though.

prepracing
04-03-2006, 03:23 AM
suspension and tires would come before pipe for myself. Yeah stockers grab good but also get holes REALLY easy. And no upgrade will do you any good if you have flat tires :devil:

JW450R1
04-03-2006, 04:24 AM
first since u don't want to go wide.
HMF FULL WITH JET KIT
NERFS
BARS
REAR SKID PRM

bananas
04-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Just pick up my 06 last week... HCR Kit, Black Nerfs and Black Bump... Full skid coming.. All new black riding gear too...

But I would like to get it close to my TRX250r. As the ride..
The 450 is stiff for right now. Does the link make it better for sure?? Or did honda fix it on the 06?