PDA

View Full Version : best way to cut down a chain?

brian400ex
07-29-2002, 12:03 PM
I bought a new chain. i will have to cut the old one off and cut the new one down to the right size. What is the best way if you don't have the right tool? Will a dremel work?

07-29-2002, 12:06 PM
A cahin breakin tool only cost like $15 I'd go buy one so you don't loose a finger tryin to get the old one off...

brian400ex
07-29-2002, 12:08 PM
how do they work?

UglyMotha™
07-29-2002, 12:11 PM
they clamp on to the chain and dislondge a pin of your choice

brian400ex
07-29-2002, 12:14 PM
should i put the clip from the master link on the inside or outside? Tire side or swingarm side?

UglyMotha™
07-29-2002, 12:18 PM
dosen't matter side but place the clip so that the slit is in the opposite direction the chain moves so it can't be caught and easily ripped off

07-29-2002, 12:43 PM
A chain breaker is the best way to remove pins and links from the chain, and is almost mandatory to get the pin out of some O-ring chains. There are other ways that it can be done, but it's much easier (and safer) to just use a chain breaker. If you don't want to buy a chain breaker, a shop shouldn't charge too much to remove your old chain and install the new one, but I would just buy the chain breaker and have it for future use.

As for which side the clip should go on, I prefer the outside (towards the tire) because it is easier to get to when you wish to take it off again. Also, some aftermarket skid plates are closer to the chain and the inside of the chain can slap against them, so I feel more comfortable with the clip on the outside too. Just remember, closed end of the clip in the direction the chain is turning so it won't catch on anything while the chain is turning, or as UglyMotha said it, open end in the opposite direction of chain travel.