PDA

View Full Version : all you raptor owners...

honda_foreman10
04-01-2006, 06:25 PM
how reliable are raptors ? especially rhe 05's . the local shop has a leftover 660 the camo accented one and will make me a good deal on it .. i love riding tight trails and fields and sounds like a good fit for me but how reliable are they ?

raptor brothers
04-01-2006, 07:11 PM
My brother has a 05 S.E.660 & I had a 05 660.We had over 150 hr. through two winters & never had a problem.Started up every time even in the dead of winter with out a problem.I was very happy with it & dreaded trading it in on my 700(hope the 700 is as reliable).

Blue_Streak23
04-02-2006, 07:24 AM
The 05's are said to be very relaible, but I don't know if the starter one-way bearing still goes in them. The one-ways in the 05's have been revised twice from the 03's!:eek2: They are OK in tight woods trails, cause they don't have the really long rear axles. In the open fields you will LOVE it. THey haul balls on top-end. Mine stock clocks in at 70-71 mph on my bros GPS. They also need the regular matience that ALL sport quads need. Chain, fittings, etc...

Thjey are very worth the price, aslong as you are not racing it!:ermm:

bud660r
04-03-2006, 09:54 AM
i am a raptor owner and for in wood and open riding they are the best. i also do alot of jumping with my rappy

and no the one ways dont go out any more that was only in the 01 raptors

ATC600X
04-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by bud660r
i am a raptor owner and for in wood and open riding they are the best. i also do alot of jumping with my rappy

ehhhh...i think mines startn to go in my 02 :( but as far as i know there very reliable bikes, ive only put a few hours on mine, throttle gots tuckw ide open before a big jump, wiped out the fornt end and i decieded to tear it dwn, ship the motor to Kenz and buy new chassis and body parts..... but there good bikes....a little too tall and narrow for me stock....evenw ith +2 it was a lil more tippy than id like...but i suppose +4, offset wheels, and lower stance im gettin whill make it a greeeeaat MX bike, as well as a great duner,(wide) trail bike and all around play bike due to the power itll have over other bikes, best of luck to you and gettin the new raptor
Kyle

Blue_Streak23
04-03-2006, 12:50 PM

Maybe not in the 05's, but...

I have a friend which has a 01' and his one-way went!
I have a 02' and the one-way went!
My brother has a 03' and his one-way went!
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

DON'T tell me it is only in the 01's!

ATC600X
04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Streak23
Maybe not in the 05's, but...

I have a friend which has a 01' and his one-way went!
I have a 02' and the one-way went!
My brother has a 03' and his one-way went!
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

DON'T tell me it is only in the 01's!

if you remember could you tell me how much it costs to buy a new one way?
Thanks
Kyle

ATC600X
04-03-2006, 03:45 PM

the only change im aware of between01 and 02 is the tranny, because the 01 tranny had a decent amount of problems.....mine seems screwed up or jus the shifter linkage may be, when i put it in reverse i have to hold the shifter down as i let out the clutch or it will jump into neutral, but after i downshift one time after it jumps back it goes right into reverse with ease....but reverse is overrated anyways ;) as long as no forward gears go out im a happy camper

Blue_Streak23
04-03-2006, 05:22 PM
If you go to www.Bluetraxx.com they reviewed a after-market one-way, called the L&A one-way made by RSP. You get the link for the RSP site from Bluetraxx, and JUst the one-way cost $199.95 with free shipping. But.. if the starter has been spinning for a while you might want to buy the replacement one-way kit, which includes the one-way, gear, gaskets, and screws for $264.95.

Blue_Streak23
04-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ATC600X
the only change im aware of between01 and 02 is the tranny, because the 01 tranny had a decent amount of problems.....

That is totally right!;)

wolffie
04-03-2006, 06:59 PM
the 660 is beasty machine! everything that has been said is true! i went with the pred because i got a sweet deal on it, and the TLD came with AMAZING suspension, and a wider axle. The 660 will eat the pred on the top end all day long stock for stock though.

probably one little nuisance the 660 has that hasnt been mentioned is it has dual carbs. although you get the added power, jetting is a bit of a *****! rather than that, it is a bit narrow! for woods, you have nothing to worry about, but anything else i would reccomend getting a wider rear axle or some extended hubs off of www.rathracing.com

overall the 660 is a kickass machine!

BushManRebel
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
The first thing that usually goes first is the one-way...any year raptor.

ATC600X
04-05-2006, 07:31 AM
The CDI went on mine, not sure if this is a common problem?:rolleyes:the kid i got it from wasnt too bright tho, who knows what he did to the poor thing haha....

Blue_Streak23
04-05-2006, 01:21 PM
CDI? never heard of that!:D

wolffie
04-06-2006, 07:51 PM
blue streak the way you ride, you also burn through tires like a ******* NASCAR driver:D

Racing Rice
04-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I have an '05 Rappy. So far its been pretty reliable. The only thing that I don't really like about it is the clutch. It doesn't like to go into gear until it has warmed up. If you try to put it into gear before it is warm, it will lunge forward and usually stall depending on how warm it is. Once it is warm it is fine though. The stock front shocks are junk and it is a little narrow so it requires a little more body english to ride then some other quads. Widening the rear end really improves handling!

Besides that, I LOVE this thing. It is a blast to get out and rip on. I don't regret my decision.

http://gallery.digitaldeviation.com/d/625-1/DSCF0772.JPG

Blue_Streak23
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
blue streak the way you ride, you also burn through tires like a ******* NASCAR driver:D

Thanks Matt!:D

Blue_Streak23
04-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Racing Rice,

Have you had any problems with your starter? I just took mine to the dealer to get it replaced with the newest one-way cluch. All these comments are getting me worried.:ermm:

Racing Rice
04-08-2006, 01:18 PM
No, not yet. I've only had mine since last April though.

Did they replace the starter or the one-way bearing?

04-08-2006, 01:39 PM
THEY SUCK!!!!!!!

top heavy bottom heavy middle heavy left heavy right heavy

they all around suck

moRon

Blue_Streak23
04-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
No, not yet. I've only had mine since last April though.

Did they replace the starter or the one-way bearing?

I haven't heard from them yet. They definatly had to replace the one-way, but I'm not sure if they replaced the gear in the starter. (they had to see the teeth on it first) The starters usually go within a year or two. If I had yours it would have probably went in the first 3 months :D !

>>>I like to ride!!!!!!!

Blue_Streak23
04-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by yeaman
THEY SUCK!!!!!!!

top heavy bottom heavy middle heavy left heavy right heavy

they all around suck

Are they your only reasons?:confused: I wouldn't say that input was very helpful.:ermm:

( also use some commas next time :D )

MadDog56
04-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Some of this info is bunk...

There have been a number of changes to the raptor over the years 01-05, the most from 01-02 but a few between 03-04.

05 is the latest and the greatest complete with yfz pegs and parking brake assembly. The one-way is actually more reliable on the 01 models than the 02-03 models IMO, but 04-05 are the best of the bunch. This is still a problem for ALL model years. When you're one-way goes you'll need the whole kit, the extra 50 bucks is from an OEM starter gear which goes bad very quick after the one-way clutch starts to fail. Figure 300 for parts plus labor.

However, if you keep the bike internally stock, that is no big or high compression pistons or high performance camshafts the one-way seems to last a bit longer. Some 01 owners with a lot of hours still have original transmissions and one-ways though.

IMO the raptor is a very reliable machine and aside from the one-way and painstaking jetting procedure I cant think of any reason not to purchase one if you get a good price.