PDA

View Full Version : choke removal

quad_man08
04-01-2006, 05:44 PM
they say takin the choke out helps the airflow some. im just wonderin how much it does help and if puttin in a 42 jet solves the cold start problem

TRX23rider
04-01-2006, 05:56 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/choke400ex.html\

this should help you out. i have been thinking about doing it but i to am worried about the cold starting because it gets pretty cold up here in the winter.

jordan_m6
04-02-2006, 07:39 AM
your choke is really easy to reassemble if you pay attention to what you did to remove it. i removed my last week and WOW. but i am also in warmer weather than the both of you.

Def-e-nition
04-02-2006, 11:42 AM
I agree .

I did mine this morning after seeing you chaps talk about it - Look elsewhere on the forum for a pic of me getting it handed to me by an LTz . SO - I pulled the plug , saw it was a bit black ( do -it -yourself on plugs says too rich ) So i decided to turn the screw in . Oops - harder to reach than I thought ...

Downloaded the step by step help , re-read the plug thingie to see if i wasnt dreaming , and before I knew it , i had the Carb off and hanging next to the bike (left the throttle cable on . ) The choke Begged me to take it off , and so I did . I mean , I never even tried , and if sort of just fell off .... ;)

Big difference in Response . THese bikes can Chug along in first nicely , nice torque , but i had a bit of delay at first . not anymore- I blip the throttle and it waves the front wheels now at the road . Nice . And im one tooth lower on the back sprocket , so the difference will be even more on a std sprocket ( although - i dont suppose any of you nutters actually HAVE any bikes with standard size sprockets on !)

its so nice to see a mod that is easier to do than you think . And the Original posters help guide also makes sense - down here we Never use the choke , and when you look at it - it sort of looks like someones mouth , with a stick caught in it . :) I was a bit worried that it might splutter and spit , as some reader posted , but then i thought "why would it ?" .

Free , and simple . I give it the thumbs up . Unless of course you want to save yurself the trouble and simply install a 450 carb. mmm. this forum can become pretty expensive listening and then Following everyones advice ....

quad_man08
04-06-2006, 09:18 AM
i think im takin it off but i dont have a 42 jet. will it still be ok to run or do i need the jet right now....if anyone knows

Def-e-nition
04-06-2006, 09:27 AM
no it should fine . might run a little lean though . i went looking for a handheld air fuel meter to check mine .

but check your plug colour - it will tell the tale of whats going on inside your engine . easiest way to see inside your engine .

jordan_m6
04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
i have the stock sprockets. but am soon to get a new rear. dont like the drastic change of the front want a little more mild

Def-e-nition
04-07-2006, 01:34 AM
yes , yu are right . Making changes to the front sprocket is a bit drastic . , makes too big a change for standard engines. Now - If you were to play with the motor a little , then playing with the front sprocket ne up or one down would become a neccessity .

im a little disappointed that even one tooth makes such a difference to this motor , it does . I got greased by a standard set-up on a trx about 2 months ago , was surprised to see that through the gears I had lost a bit of grunt . but ill stick to one down from standard - im on a 38 , and my original Was a 39 (strange - they tell me it should be a 38 standard .)

I permanently tried to hook 6th - most annoying .Even now , at full tilt , i forget what gear im in and try to hook the next gear . Got a pipe going on this weekend .Then ill let you know if i run it in fifth on a level , into the limiter . Perhaps not so good for the motor??
Ahh well , I service it regularly enough .If I need to change , Ill start by buying one sprocket bigger for the front , but as you say , it makes a bigger change , so then ill have to slip on the Original Sprocket again ...it never ends.

This choke removal thing has made a notable difference to my engines response , and i would recommend it to any individual who is looking for a safe way to give himself a bit more power .

Rico
04-07-2006, 08:14 AM
while your doing this mod it's also good to see if your throttle is adjusted properly also. The slightest push of the thumb throttle should rev the motor, if not then it needs adjusted. You might only be opening up the carb 80% of the way, which is robbing you of HP.....:eek:

IT is VERY common for the throttle to come from the dealer improperly adjusted..:macho

premiumtommy
04-07-2006, 12:47 PM
i agree rico

many times i am on someones quad and they have so much play in the throttle cable...you say...how can you ride like that?

and they say either...i thought it was supposed to be that way...or...you have to have slack in the cable......morons

hey Def-e-nition

you say there is a noticable difference when you went down a tooth in the rear...exactly how did you do this...all you did was maybe maybe gain 2 mph at most....how can you feel 2mph of top speed?

but good to see the choke mod is working nicely

flauge
04-07-2006, 04:29 PM
im gonna try the choke mod tomarrow. i'll let yall know how it goes..

jordan_m6
04-07-2006, 05:13 PM
i think he didnt word his post the way he wanted it.

i might try to go up one in the front or down on it the rear. probly try both.

04-07-2006, 08:47 PM
wat is the point in removing your choke

FoxMxRiders
04-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Better air flow!!

04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
I dont see the point... I use my choke more then not.. I am in cold weather so I need it to start my quad and I dont think the airflow will even be noticible and if it is even true.. I dont see how removing a choke opens up airflow

premiumtommy
04-07-2006, 10:40 PM
the choke is right in the middle of the air passage through the carb..

by removing it you get a cleaner/unobstructed flow into the intake..

04-08-2006, 04:25 AM
start it on a cold day....then see if you want it or not

<DRS>GPF
04-08-2006, 08:37 AM
i wouldnt recommend removing the choke until after youve changed the pilot jet..

its really one of those "while im there" things..

as to "why remove the choke?"..
more airflow = opportunity for more fuel which = more power..

its easy to prove, stick out your tongue and inhale quickly, then reel it back in out of the way and inhale again..
if the headrush hasnt made you pass out, youll understand..

(now.. how many of you actually tried it..lol)

if youre rectal about it, you can also grind the weld seam down inside the stock headpipe..

GYOGI65
04-08-2006, 06:16 PM
JUST DID A CHOKE REMOVAL INSTALLED 42 AND 179 JETS PUMP GAS TWICE AN PURRS ONLY BEEN TO 0 SCINC I FINISHED
426 WIESCO 11:1 STAGE 1 HOT CAM 5 MONTH FRAME UP PROJECT WILL GET PICTURES ON AS SOON AS SMALL DETAILS ARE FINSHED

04-08-2006, 06:19 PM
removing the choke dosent do anything, just leave it in

RangerRick
04-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
i wouldnt recommend removing the choke until after youve changed the pilot jet..

its really one of those "while im there" things..

as to "why remove the choke?"..
more airflow = opportunity for more fuel which = more power..

its easy to prove, stick out your tongue and inhale quickly, then reel it back in out of the way and inhale again..
if the headrush hasnt made you pass out, youll understand..

(now.. how many of you actually tried it..lol)

if youre rectal about it, you can also grind the weld seam down inside the stock headpipe..

I tryed it.lol

Anyways I had in the 38 pilot for quite awhile after I took the choke out and most of this was through this winter in northern NY even though I would try not to rely on it too much to sit for hours at a time...

Def-e-nition
04-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by #1contender
I dont think the airflow will even be noticible and if it is even true.. I dont see how removing a choke opens up airflow

Look at it like this : take something the size roughly , of your computer speaker , perhaps even smaller . i think a carb throat is what - 38 mm ? then half it in the middle , with something like a pencil . imagine the pencil to be your Choke (It works like its name says ...)

When removing that , it actually improves airflow .

i agree , you guys in the colder climates should be wary of removing it , for warranty etc etc too , but I am a doubting Thomas myself , but i thought what the hell, and gave it a try . there is a differencce .

As to how i saw difference in top end : I took a standard Trx from the shop , and rode against it . Logic would in any case tell you that by changing down on the back , like a 12 speed bicycle , will give you more top speed . Logical . What bugs me though , is that if you do the mod , without anything else , it took me about 200 meters before i reeled him in : so on long outrides , its fine , but if you are working short distances , like a track - forget it . See the pic of me and the Ltz - i lost . I dont race , I do a lot more of the above picture i posted , and there , i try saving the motor by going one down rear . As to going one down rear AND one up Front : i very much doubt it on a standard engine . i THINK it would be sluggish . a 250 would beat you out the gates Every time .But im just guessing .

Either way , I reckon a person had to look at what he plans to do : I obviously want the best of both worlds , and that is not always possible . We could talk on the subject forever .