PDA

View Full Version : What Handguards To Get???

BornOnFire
07-29-2002, 10:55 AM
Does anybody have some handguards on their 400EX? If so, what brand are they and do you like them? I do a lot of riding on desert trails and there are a lot of Jumping Cholla cactus that line the trails. I need something that will prevent me from getting stabbed by these nasty plants. Any suggestions?

Tommy 17
07-29-2002, 11:09 AM
acerbis rally pro

BornOnFire
07-29-2002, 11:11 AM
Those look sweet!! If you don't mind....How much were they? Where can i get some? Thanks.

07-29-2002, 11:23 AM
I'm running the Maier Universal XC Pro handguards. They are complete wrap-around type plastic handguards that connect at the bar end and a clamp around the bar at the other end. They cost roughly $25-$27 and you can get add-on spoilers for them that increase the coverage for the upper portion of your hand for about $6. The only thing that you'll have to do is modify the part of them that is intended to protect the front brake reservoir/master cylinder. Since these are universal handuards, they don't fit perfect in that area and with most handlebar bends you will have to take a hacksaw (or something else, but I used the hacksaw) and cut out a small section of the right handguard to allow it to clear the brake reservoir/master cylinder. As for toughness, me and one of my buddies both have them and they have held up well for about a year and a half. Mine have been hit with various tree limbs and have been roosted with all kinds of sticks and rocks and they are still fine. My buddy durability tested his (not on purpose though) by hitting a stump and launching his 400 into the air on its side and it landed on its side in the middle of a gravel road. The handguard that it landed on was scratched but otherwise fine.

Tommy 17
07-29-2002, 11:31 AM
u can get them at rocky mountain atv for around 60$ or so...

Drtridr18
07-30-2002, 06:48 PM
In the rocky mountain catalog though, they say for dirt bikes only?? and how would they adapt to pro-taper style bars?

Thanks!

YamaWarr0121
07-30-2002, 08:08 PM
they say dirtbike only b/c of all the controls and wires the quads have on their handlebars, i tried to get sme on my warrior , but i ended up just cutting the connection to the handlebar
they fit great now

cost me about 54 dollars

07-30-2002, 09:02 PM
get the acerbis non wrap around kind think about the way u turn b4 u buy some becuase some guys wrap their wrist around the end of the bars