PDA

View Full Version : Cut silencer??????

honda416exman
07-29-2002, 10:47 AM
OK does this add performance? cutting the rear part like this? just wondering.

Razorback
07-29-2002, 10:54 AM
ha ha. that looks funny. i don't know the answer to your question, but i know it's somewhat common for people to do this. my neighbor shortened his silencer on his yz426 and he likes it better than the regular length. i'm sure it changes the backpressure, so it will perform differently, i just don't know how.

CranMan
07-30-2002, 07:18 AM
I'm in he process of shortening my megamax by 2 in. The reason is because it would hit the ground when I set the quad up on the rear grab bar. One good thing is that when I took the pipe apart I found out that I had the quiet core insert in it, that will be left out when it goes back together!!

07-30-2002, 08:20 AM
I've also thought of doing this but don't know the long term effect it will have...I mean the people making the pipes make it a certain length for a reason if they thought it performed better they would have made it shorter...I guess I'm off to email bills pipes and ask them what the pro's and con's are from shorting an exhuast pipe,,I'll update this thread when i get an answer..

UglyMotha™
07-30-2002, 08:22 AM
ya i was wondering what it would do for performance cause i thought about shortening my e-series just cause of the fact every time i roll it real bad the muffler gets ripped of so if it was shorter it wouldn't get caught on anything

tprender
07-30-2002, 08:33 AM
I asked this question many times and no one would give me and answer. Finialy this spring, I got the a response from one of the engine biulders. He told me that on a 4-stroke it will not make that much of a difference, but on a 2-stroke it will change it very much. I was only asking about cutting off about 2 inches, which I did. I did not notice any difference after it was cut. I did this on my E series because it was sticking out to far and it got hit one to many times in the back.

UglyMotha™
07-30-2002, 08:52 PM
:o well tprender you gave me the extra confidence to go ahead and do it so i took my e-series off tonight and drilled out all the rivets and ripped it apart and in the morning i'll haul it to work and throw it in the bandsaw and i think i'm goin to rip off 3" but i'll have it back together tomorow and i'll let you all know what happens and maybe even take a few pics if any one wants some

:huh

eldoexrider01
07-30-2002, 09:26 PM
im guessing that like for a eseries or any other disk pipe u can put 8 instead of 12 and get more low end power. im figurin...countin on fingers and toes :confused: come up wit a answer that its the same wit shorteing (up to a certain length)

Pro400EXC
07-30-2002, 10:21 PM
I did feel more throttle response,and pepe.with a harder hit too of power.

And I gained about 3-5mph,cause I can pull aboout 3ft or so on my buddies 400ex,with the same pipe,jets,filters,and tires.

I HAVE A t$ AND i CUT IT TO THE BRACET. It may be in annother post. Look in steering and suspession or search for "Custom HRC Pipe"

07-31-2002, 07:47 AM
Here's what Bill from Bills pipe told me in his reply to my email..

He said it will make it louder and gain bottom end,,but you will Loose top-end,,,no big deal really I guess. If your on a MX track or woods rider I guess it would help but if your a duner probably not a good idea. So there it is,,take it for what it's worth.:D

UglyMotha™
07-31-2002, 08:28 AM
good god rico you should'a told me that 15mins ago cause i just got done chopping 3"s off naw j/k cause i've never been to the dunes in my life just the track and the woods so i think i may benifit from this after i'm done after all what fun is it to run in a straight line anyways however you would think that i could adjust whichever direction i want with my plates who knows and just what i need for this stupid thing to get louder but it was a given since you cutting away part of the silencer hopfully doesn't make it to much louder oh well i should have it back on later today after work and i'll post what happens later

Smoker
07-31-2002, 09:20 AM
I'll find the post later but it explains how the length and the shock waves of vibration hitting the end of the pipe and bounce back that help scavenge exhaust out of the cylinder. That's why exhaust length makes a difference, it would make sense that a shorter exhaust has better bottom or torque due to these waves cycling faster. I sounds like I'm talking out of my *ss but wait until I post the website, it's interesting. :p

Dave400ex
07-31-2002, 09:38 AM
Rico you going to shorten your Pipe some?

Pro400EXC
07-31-2002, 11:34 AM
Here Yah Go, Its my own Custom TC Shorty,haha

honda416exman
07-31-2002, 01:35 PM
hey pro400exc how ya like it??? i'm thinking of doing it to my LRD. how do u cut the circle around the muffler perfect??? how hard is it?

thanks guys for thee info:D

Pro400EXC
07-31-2002, 02:29 PM
Thanks Bro.

I love it,so does everyone else who seen it.

Naa,i Just used a chop saw with metal blade,and cut it straight.

You should try just a lil bit with the LRD,like only 2-3 in.

honda416exman
07-31-2002, 03:41 PM
yea i was going to take 3in off it about. So it does increase bottom end? cause thats what i need for racing, i hope it makes it louder!!!

"To loud to bad"

thanks

Sparks425Ex
07-31-2002, 03:48 PM
Hey Rico, Me and you. I think are the only one on the site with a Bills Thunder Series. I got mine not to long about after talkin to you about it. It gave good over all power. But it was sorta long. I hit it ina pit that i was ridin. I figured then that i should cut it so it won't hit again. I cut about 4 1/2 inches off of it. It did make it louder. But not much. I can now deff. feel the improvments on the bottom end. I can pull wheelies Easily in 3rd gear without using the clutch. It really didn't take much top end tho. I was hittin 74.3 but after i cut it i am now only hittin 73.7. (Police Radar)

I would deff. Recommend it if you are racing MX. The bottom end power i great to have.

I don't hvae any pics but i will be sure to get some soon.

yamaha1470
07-31-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC
Here Yah Go, Its my own Custom TC Shorty,haha

Isnt ur chain alittle loose?

honda416exman
07-31-2002, 05:18 PM
ya i'm cutting 5 1/2 off the lrd. it'll look something like pro400exc's. i tried cutting a little wit a hack saw but its to hard. i think i'll try bringing it some place.

UglyMotha™
07-31-2002, 06:14 PM
well i got my wb back on tonight it looks alot better than it did before, after i took the 3" of it now tucks inside the fender nicely as far as loundness goes it didn't get to much louder just a little and i did actually notice a torque gain in second and third i dunno what it did to my top end though, i would recommend doin this to anyone that has had the idea if they have the capability to do so

07-31-2002, 07:05 PM
pro400exc, dont u need some new back tired 2, they look almost like flat track racing tires

crashinmatt
07-31-2002, 07:54 PM
what all is involved? i know u have to cut the outside, but on the inside? i really want to do this and was wonderin.

07-31-2002, 08:13 PM
no wen u shorten the silcencer it give more midrange and low end
that is why the pro circuit and fmf shorties are for supercross

Pro400EXC
07-31-2002, 08:52 PM
My Chain is loose because I was takin the swing-arm off,and my tirees are bald from white smokin them down throad,in 4th tapped.

I got new holeshots now.

Evan
07-31-2002, 08:57 PM
Yes it is louder. Not too loud though. Helps power all over for me. Great combination, T-4 and stock header. Kinda like a TC pipe.
This is my PC T-4 shortend. Another bonus is you buy less packing haha. I have done this smae setup with my FMF powercore on my R, I have yet to try it out though since my motor isnt back. Hopefully it helps the lowend. I will get a pic of it later

jwisniew
07-31-2002, 09:08 PM
what would happen if u shortened the pipe and slid the silencer back alil further?

Smoker
07-31-2002, 09:34 PM
O.K. here's the skinny on pipe tuning, I promised a post explaning
the magic of exhausts' and here it is via www.extremegarage.com

How The E-Series Diffuer Discs Work With Your Engine

A 4- stroke engine enters the exhaust phase, the piston moves upward, and the exhaust valve opens as spent gases flow into the exhaust pipe making room for fresh fuel. There is however a quantity of unburned gases that remain in the combustion cham-ber.It is at this instant, when both intake valves and exhaust valves open, that a properly designed exhaust system can help scavenge as much of the residual gas as possible. The more efficient the scavenging, the less diluted the incoming fuel-air mixture will be.

As the exhaust valves open, a shock wave is generated which travels down the pipe. When it reaches the end of the pipe, negative pulse is reflected in the reverse direction. If the length of pipe is adjusted so that the suction wave arrives back at the exhaust valve just before it closes, a vacuum is created, allowing the cylinder to be charged with a purer mixture. The inertia in one moving exhaust packet assists the flow of the next charge. A purer mixture can now enter each cylinder, resulting in stronger explosions and more power.

"Esentially, this type of tuning produces an increase in power over a relatively small RPM range. The suction wave produced is a combination of high energy and short duration. A wider powerband can be created with the use of a diffuser. There are two types of diffusers on motorcycles; Conical and Radial. A Conical diffuser is commonly called a megaphone (or S-Bend/Tail pipe in some cases). A radial diffuser is the E-Series Disc. Basically, a diffuser creates suction waves with a lower energy peak and longer duration. A simple way of understanding the process is thinking of a diffuser as creating a continual series of suction waves, providing effectivea 4 stroke engine enters the exhaust phase, the piston moves upward, and the cylinder scavenging over a much wider RPM range."

Here's the link if it's still not making sense www.extremegarage.com/reviews/wbpipe.htm

To the sack whining about people learning and building there own engines, WWWAAAHHHH!! His post was a week or two ago, I guess he was born with 40 weight in his veins, we all learn at some time. As far as tuned length for a shorty it would probably be best to look at a TC or GT Thunder's length's since they are the only ones interested in shorties. The rest are building for all around power that's why they end up with similiar lengths in there exhaust systems.
IMO baby.
:p

Pro400EXC
07-31-2002, 09:41 PM
I noticed more power all over too,plus more throttle response,and about 4mph on top.

I dragged my buddy for 2miles,and we have the saem exact set-up (he has RAZR's,and I ahve Holeshots,and he has a UNI filter) I pull aboiut 5ft on his 400ex,and his is newer. He has a T4,but its just not cut.

Also, me and X-rider are starting our own line of tricked pipes.

they will be about like Mine is,but have a carbon fiber shell,and custom Sleeve type mount (like the Yoshi's and FMF's have)

it will weight like 1 1/2lb's too and cost about $255 Anyone be interested in one?

honda416exman
08-01-2002, 08:52 AM
Well i just did it to my lrd and lets just say its a time consuming project.

First i got a band saw and cut it.
then u need to file it.
the bafle is to long so u have to cut it
now i put the end piece on.
i still need to rivit it on the end.

how do u like it?

honda416exman
08-01-2002, 08:53 AM
amnother

honda416exman
08-01-2002, 08:54 AM
last one

08-01-2002, 12:40 PM
Don't use rivets,,go to the hardware store and find some short stainless steel screws...makes it much much easier when replacing packing and what not...:D Just food for thought.;)

PS..I'll be cutting about 2 or 3 inches off mine real soon..:eek:

honda416exman
08-01-2002, 01:08 PM
hey rico! ok i just installed it. And lets just say if u dont like real loud quads this project ain for u. i cant ride it cause my a-arms didnt come in yet:mad: but it sounds nice!!!

tprender
08-01-2002, 06:39 PM
It look's some of you cut more than 2 or 3 in off. It look's you took off more than what is left from the pictures. Maybe that is why they are so loud? I only did 2 in and I think might was quietier than before, but I repacked it at the same time. Just happened to all gone.
It sounds like everyone is going to be cutting there exhaust from what some of you have been posting about the results.

honda416exman
08-01-2002, 07:28 PM
ya its a pretty hard job!! and if u screw up its all over, u'll probably have to buy a new muffler. Plus ur muffler has to have the rite stuff in it to be made shorter. I f u cut it and it doesent... well i dont know i guess it sucks for u.

jwisniew
08-01-2002, 09:06 PM
What do u mean the right stuff? would it work to cut my Powercore 4?

Evan
08-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Hard Job!!! Its about as hard as changing tires! How easy can it be! It took me about 25-30 mins tops. Not much to it, drill rivets out, cut end off, grind a little on the metal core, drill some new holes, pop some rivets and your done. Heres my R silencer, sounds alot better. Worth it for the sound.

honda416exman
08-02-2002, 08:46 AM
jwisniew, some mufflers are different than otheres. Some r more complicated to. an fmf is just like a white bros basically the same thing. so i'd say ya try it! what do u got to lose?

Dave400ex
08-02-2002, 09:06 AM
X-Rider the 250r looks good. Is it all done finally?

jwisniew
08-02-2002, 01:38 PM
i think i will try it. the damn thing hits the ground when i go back to far

rookiex
01-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Whats rivit?? cant I just take the screws that are on the pipe after I cut it and drill the holes and put them back in??...How do you get the pipe ends off I have tried and its kinda hard....I got the screws out and all..

toby400ex
05-01-2003, 09:27 AM
im not sure how i would go about doing this to my megamax2:confused:

quader400
05-01-2003, 12:03 PM
ok when i have enough money to buy my lrd i will probably decide to cut it. what all do i need to know and have. i have a band saw so that should help. all i need to do is drill out the rivits, cut the silencer, drill new holes and rivit the end cap back on right? what do you have to do with the packing? is that all i need to do thanks for any help.

crashinmatt
05-01-2003, 02:14 PM
ur gonna also have to cut the inside part of ur silencer. the part that holds the packin in against the out shell.

07-10-2003, 03:44 PM
anybody cut a powercore 4? would u recomend it? i need more power everywhere and my pipe is 2 ft long lol i dotn think it has rivits just bolts

Houser Cannondale
07-10-2003, 04:56 PM
honda416ex do you have any pics of your whole bike?? thanks.

hondarider2006
07-11-2003, 07:14 AM
freeride132 holy ***** that is a long ***** pipe. You sure thats the right one for your quad?

:eek2:

07-11-2003, 11:22 AM
yup shes all cut now tho, looks alot better:scary:

toby400ex
07-11-2003, 11:47 AM
i like my pipes short

Holeshot36
07-11-2003, 12:41 PM
I have a powercore 4 and cut it as short as pro400ex's and noticed power increase in bottom end and no decrease anywhere it only took about 20 minuts to do to so i would recomend this. BTW yes it has bolts not rivets so it was really easy.

400EXIAN
07-11-2003, 12:42 PM
How about with my Big Gun races series would it help to cut that one down a bit i notice no one has posted with one of those cut off....Also my buddy has a WB R4 would he benifit from cutting it?? He bent his pretty bad and if we cut it, it will eliminate the dent! So if it will help he is pretty gung ho about cutting it adn it it will help me out on my big gun i am gonna go for it as well!!

crashinmatt
07-12-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by 400EXIAN
Also my buddy has a WB R4 would he benifit from cutting it?? He bent his pretty bad and if we cut it, it will eliminate the dent! So if it will help he is pretty gung ho about cutting it

i say yes its better, and makes it look a lot better.

JabberJaw
07-12-2003, 05:14 AM
I'm having just the opposite problem with my 'Johnson'!

yellerfour00
07-12-2003, 10:23 AM
I have a full system big gun that has 6 inches cut off of it...gives more bottom end...

Yee-Haw_400EX
07-13-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
I'm having just the opposite problem with my 'Johnson'!

I hear ya. :ermm: :o :uhoh: