PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Kit - Not an Oversize Tank

jbirklid
07-29-2002, 10:30 AM
Hey Guys,

After unsuccessfully trying to locate an aftermarket cooler solution for my 400. I decided put together my own oil cooler kit. The design is a bypass of the top end oil passage through an auxiliary cooler. It requires some drill and tap work to the head and clutch covers, however, IMO is the best oil cooling option for the 400. I've been running this setup for 7 months with no problems and after many requests from other curious 400 riders, decided to see if anyone else was interested. All of the components are of very high quality. The cooler is a custom stacked plate design (very durable) so you won't be putting holes in it with a pressure washer or straghtening the fins after every ride. The kits come with two mounting options, either just the cooler on mounting rails or directly to an included aluminum grill for added protection (both are included in the kit). Both options are hard mounted (bolts and locknuts) to the front downtubes in-between the front shocks (no drilling required). I also have full instructions for installation. The setup looks clean and IMO is a must on a modded 400. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get some pics up in the next few days.

Jason...

JhallettEX
07-29-2002, 10:53 AM
I think you would have to sell this well under $95 becuase FST, Four Stroke Tech, makes the same thing for that price and his are proven.

UglyMotha™
07-29-2002, 11:07 AM
I think i would feel safer with fst plus jhallet qouted the price what would you be charging for yours in order to be competive besides the fact this should've been in the classifieds not to mention i think you should donate to the site like the quadshop does for advertising there stuff:rolleyes:

jbirklid
07-29-2002, 11:19 AM
Easy now... , I'm new to the forum, I don't run a business, I just found the kit useful and was just seeing if anyone else was interested. If this post is in the wrong place, I'll see what I can do about getting it moved. I'm not sure who FST is, however I can sell these kits for less than 95.00. Anyway, if no one is interested, that's cool.

JhallettEX
07-29-2002, 11:54 AM
We are interested, I just wanted to let you know about the other kit, you can see it at four stroke techs website or it is always in the back of dirtwheels, Mickey Dunlap is pretty much FST.

jbirklid
07-29-2002, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info on FST. I checked out their site and found their kit, $115.00 plus shipping! - ouch. I haven't exactly figured out the cost but it should be around $85.00 + shipping. I'm not sure how they run their lines, however, they mention "cooling the cam" which leads me to believe they are also bypassing the oil passage that feeds the top end. I can say with certainty that stacked plate cooler that I'm using is much more durable than the transmission type cooler that they appear to be using. I originally used that type of cooler but switched to a stacked plate for better durability. Also it appears that they're using zip-ties to mount the cooler, I use good old nuts and bolts, and I would think that in the long term you would have a durability problem there also. This is just what I can glean from the pictures and description. I'm actually using a similar grill material, standard perforated aluminum. But with the stacked plate cooler, the grill is optional depending on where you ride. I'll post some pictures tomorrow or Wednesday.

CranMan
07-30-2002, 07:15 AM
Please do post pics, I'm interested...

nakomis0
07-30-2002, 04:14 PM
ya get some pics up when you can man, that sounds pretty interesting.

Ex_Rider43
07-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Im interested!!

dhines
07-31-2002, 06:36 AM
While I find both your product and the one from FST interesting, I would personally rather steer away from drilling out my cases. What I have been waiting for is someone to come out with a larger replacement for the stock cooler. I think you could easily fit one that is twice the size of the stock one and only have to perhaps furnish new lines if the originals wouldn't line up. Surely some enterprising person out there could come up with this mod fairly easily. Anyone?

Dennis

PsychoDave
07-31-2002, 08:05 AM
dennis...i agree....if someone mad a larger cooler, like twice as big (without losing pressure) i would be all over that cooler.

jbirklid
07-31-2002, 08:25 AM
Actually, I have an adaptor kit so you can add this cooler in series with your stock cooler. It's plumbed into the return line from the stock cooler to the top of the oil tank. No drilling or tapping and the install takes about 20 minutes! The actual cooling area is about doubled. If you would prefer this version I got 'em. I'll post pics tonight of the cooler mounting location and the drill and tap version, I post some pics of the adaptor parts for the non-drill and tap version also.

Jason...

BTW someone is selling a larger cooler kit for th ex in Dirt-Wheels for a paltry $475.00... Give me a break!

UglyMotha™
07-31-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by jbirklid
BTW someone is selling a larger cooler kit for th ex in Dirt-Wheels for a paltry $475.00... Give me a break!

nah that's nothing, now what would really jerk your chain is if you knew how many people actually buy it, now that would be somthing to give you a break over:rolleyes:

PsychoDave
07-31-2002, 09:56 AM
SHOW US THE PIC...I AM INTERESTED

CranMan
07-31-2002, 12:47 PM
yeah me too!

L.Vegas400
08-01-2002, 04:25 AM
me three:D

fourtrax400ex
08-01-2002, 05:59 AM
theres a picture of my 400ex, i have fitted two 400ex oil cooler to my 426 to keep it cool. after several test, the max oil temp that i get was about 220F, most of the time it between 180-200F, and for comparison with the bone stock 400ex of my friend, we check the oil temp after doing the same ride and mine was 207F and his stock 400ex was 235F, it was about 80-85F outside so i think that my system work good. about the loss of oil pressure, i use Ipone 10w40 oil, this oil are very liquid when hot so it circulate easyly and rapidly throught the system, i dont think there a problem with that. im running this since 2 month and have ride a lot in the last two month without any problem. the price for this was very acceptable, the stock oil cooler is about 85$ i think + hose and fitting.

fourtrax400ex
08-01-2002, 06:00 AM
another pics

fourtrax400ex
08-01-2002, 06:01 AM
last one

dhines
08-01-2002, 08:39 AM
I'd like to see your setup!

Dennis

jbirklid
08-01-2002, 09:07 AM
Sorry for the delay on the pictures guys, the boy had a game last night and by the time we got home the better half would not even entertain the idea of me goin' out to the shop and takin' pictures of my baby! She's got Yoga tonight, the wife not the quad(yea I know, but if it keeps her happy!) so I promise I'll get them up around 8:00 tonight, that's 11:00 for you east coast yahoos ;-)

Jason...

86atc250r
08-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Don't forget the pics, I'm interested to see your hardware....

dhines
08-02-2002, 08:40 PM
Yeah - pics?????

PsychoDave
08-02-2002, 09:19 PM
wow that looks pretty good.....i might have to try it!!!!!

DMC mx400ex
08-02-2002, 09:36 PM
its eleven here now,, ur breaking my balls jason ur breaking ma balls!!!

RED121572
08-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Im also waiting for a larger replacement oil cooler. I researched Mickey Dunlops set up. I personally dont like the cooler he chose for his kit. The cooler for his kit is a tranny cooler. Although, he might have chosen that particular cooler because of the cost. A real oil cooler is TWICE the price of a tranny cooler. Instead of selling his set up for 100 bucks, he couldve provided an actual oil cooler and the cost prob wouldve been much higher.

PsychoDave
08-04-2002, 12:02 PM
any pics yet.....?

Dave400ex
08-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Let`s see some Pictures.

RytM1
08-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Promises, promises, promises. I hope this isn't a sign of the service that can be expected if someone decides to order from him. http://216.40.241.68/contrib/ruinkai/wscared.gif

PsychoDave
08-05-2002, 09:52 AM
I THINK THIS THREAD NEEDS A BUMP.......I STILL NEED A PIC:rolleyes:

UglyMotha™
08-05-2002, 11:37 AM
boy i thought for sure we'd get to see some pics oh lets say ummm A WEEK AGO!:huh

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:09 PM
Okay guys, here's the pics. I had a family emergency that had to be handled so that's the reason for the delay. Sorry, but the fam comes first. Well on to the pics. There are 9 total, I optimized them as well as I could and still retain detail. The cooler roughly doubles the stock cooler 16 square inches of additional cooling. You end up with some rubbing on you downtubes from the mounts but it's not noticable and finally the brass connections pictured are for illistration only, I'm waiting on my supplier for the actual adaptors, not your run-of-the-mill fitting by a longshot! I run this exact cooler and grill but I run the drill and tap version to cool the head directly. Let me know if you have questions.

Jason...

Pic1

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Pic2

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Pic3

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:11 PM
pic4

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:12 PM
pic5

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:13 PM
pic6

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:13 PM
pic7

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:14 PM
pic8

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:15 PM
and finally... pic9

dhines
08-07-2002, 09:39 PM
That looks like a really nice fit, although the pictures are a little too close to figure out exactly what it would look like. There is one major problem for me though - it looks like it would block any steering stabilizer that mounts in the front (i.e. Denton, Muscle, WER, etc.) Any ideas for getting around this? Could you maybe cut a hole in the mounting screen?

Thanks for posting the pics,

Dennis

jbirklid
08-07-2002, 09:49 PM
The grill can be modified to accomodate a steering stabilizer, also I include strait mounting rails in the kit if you don't require the extra protection of the grill. The cooler is quite durable and should stand up to most small rock hits. I'm sure that with the rail mounts you could get a stabilizer in there.

Jason...

Max400
08-07-2002, 10:50 PM
I have the FST cooler and what is cool about the FST is that it re-routes the oil so that after it leaves the cooler it is put right in the head.

Max400
08-07-2002, 10:54 PM
another one

PsychoDave
08-08-2002, 06:46 AM
I WOULD LIKE TO JUST HAVE A LARGER STOCK OIL COOLER....ALL OF THESE EXTRA PARTS LEAVES ME NO ROOM FOR MY REZZIES, STABILIZER ETC. I REALLY WISH SOMEONE WOULD COME OUT WITH A STOCK MOUNTING OIL COOLER THAT IS TWICE AS BIG.
ONE OF MY FRIENDS BUT A SMALL FAN ON HIS EX AN CLAIMS IT HELPS BUT I DOUBT IT.

HEY jbirklid, CAN YOU SUPPLIER MAKE A LARGER STOCK COOLER?

Bean
08-08-2002, 07:57 AM
couldnt u possible mount a ex cooler right below the stock one, so its like double it, and not in the way of the rezzies, stabilizers, ect

dhines
08-08-2002, 08:12 AM
I'm with Psycho. This product looks fine, but it really over-complicates things for me. I want something simple and reliable that helps cool things down. I've been waiting for two years for someone to come out with what would seem to be a really simple, oversized replacement for the stock cooler. How hard can that be? If I had an ounce of mechanical or fabrication skills I'd make the damn thing myself, but I can barely turn a screwdriver! Surely someone out there can come up with this.

Dennis

jbirklid
08-08-2002, 11:28 AM
I completely understand what your saying, however, there are some considerations one has to take into account before developing a product such as you request. Yes, there are plenty of shops out there that could duplicate the EX cooler and double the size, however, the cost of this custom unit would be high. It's a couple of hunderd bucks to get a dime-a-dozen car radiator rebuilt, and there are no funky Honda fittings on those. I'm sure the cost would $200~$300 dollars and then the guy has to make a profit... Do you want to pay 4 to 5 hundred dollars for a cooler? Sure some of you would, but you guys are a different crowd, most quad owners buy and ride and never do anything to their machine unless it breaks except maybe a slip on and some stickers. That guy is not even looking for an oil cooler. The next issue is stress on the cooler. If you hang another 3 inches or so of cooler down, you're going to have to mount the bottom to something or the extra stress (for and aft) will eventually break the mounts, so now were back to finding a location and mounting system that pleases the masses. Just my two cents. If it could be done cheap and easy, it would have already been done.

PsychoDave
08-08-2002, 01:25 PM
i was thinking of buying a used cooler or something and making a single large one....i need to look at this a little more carefully though.

Lorduss
08-10-2002, 01:02 AM
well, i doubt quite that high, but i lack the tools to do it, i belive i could make a workable unit,
but before you can mass produce anything you have to test it, Testing takes time and proves to the company they have a good investment, there could be sevral models in testing right now, give it time.

letalone, doesnt honda make other bikes that have a oil cooler in front ? i noticed most dirtbikes have very nice sized coolers, but i know some are liquid.
would it make a difference ?

im personaly opting for a bigger oil cooler and grill, but grill first because i belive it does most of the cooler, grill plus scoops for all around improvement, is extra oil realy worth it ? i mean if im in a race and somewhere i get a hole, that extra quart is gonna pump out in about 10 secs or less.

i know it does help in cooling but i think a larger grill would do more.

Dave400ex
08-10-2002, 09:09 AM
When I talked to Tom Carlson 2 days ago I said something about once I do some Motor Work getting Air Scoops and a Bigger Oil Tank. He told me the Oil Tank would not help. He said as long as I run a 20w50 Non Synthetic Oil year round and change it often he said I will be ok. He said not to run Synthetic though because like some say it is not good on the Clutch. So I am gonna run the Maxima Premium Oil that is a Petroleum Blend with a High Additive System. If you Guys don`t think that is right call Tom and ask about this stuff and he will tell you what he told me. I may end up calling and making sure this Oil is ok.