PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem?

Chris S.
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
I went to start my quad and the power wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter, where it is attached to the starter started smoking. The connection was loose so i tightened it. Then I went to try start it again and now the solenoid is clicking or chattering and the motor would crank. The battery has a full charge and the ground from battery to frame is good. Any ideas on what to check next? Is the solenoid ( honda calls it switch assembly) just fried and how can check? Thanks for the help

underpowered
03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Chris S.
I went to start my quad and the power wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter, where it is attached to the starter started smoking. The connection was loose so i tightened it. Then I went to try start it again and now the solenoid is clicking or chattering and the motor would crank. The battery has a full charge and the ground from battery to frame is good. Any ideas on what to check next? Is the solenoid ( honda calls it switch assembly) just fried and how can check? Thanks for the help

cross up the cylinoid with an old screwdriver and see if the engine cranks then. if it does, it may be bad.

jeremy_283
03-31-2006, 08:28 PM
i never saw any smoke on mine but it has clicked and chattered before

Chris S.
04-01-2006, 12:59 PM
I crossed over the solenoid and still are cranking at the starter. I even took a jumper pack directly to the starter and still no luck. I think I fried the starter some how. I have a spare some I am going to put it on and try it. But I will need a new solenoid because I am not getting any power to leave the leave the solenoid switch and go to the starter. I hate electrical problems. Next quad will be kick start! No battery, no starter and a lot less wires. My starter is only 8 months old and the quad wasn't even used this winter.

300EX_HMF
04-01-2006, 02:04 PM
when mine went bad i took some extension cord and ran it off the solenoid and then to a switch(push button) so that i didnt have to use a screwdriver

jordan_m6
04-02-2006, 09:56 AM
you have to be smarter than the machine. but the 400ex do need a backup kick start

one thing i have learned from my 400ex is that it is easier to push start in second rather than first.

premiumtommy
04-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
cross up the cylinoid with an old screwdriver and see if the engine cranks then. if it does, it may be bad.

this is not true underpowered..

it is however the weakness of the 400ex..

thats how you steal it..well, one way at least..i am sure we all know the easy way

but anyways..your solenoid should make a clicking noise..this means the circuit is opening for the starter when current it passed through it..and if it turns the starter...well then you are good..

it probably smoked only because the connection wasnt tight..