PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Headaches

Lightninn
03-31-2006, 11:18 AM
I just rebuilt the engine on a 2003 Honda 250EX. Everything went fine except one thing. During the test ride the transmission shifted fine through all gears, 1st thru 5th. However whenever I shifted from 4th to 5th, it was like it went into neutral. Any ideas on what I've done wrong?:confused:

jeremy_283
03-31-2006, 08:36 PM
nope not a clue :) .............. call up an engine building company........like sparks racing.......... and ask them..... arent a lot of the transmissions the same?

Lightninn
04-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Got it figured out for those of you that are interested. When I pulled the engine apart originally, I found that the centrifugal clutch was destroyed. Two of the three pins that the clutch shoes pivot from were sheared off. Bits and pieces of the clutch were all around inside the engine. It seems that this is caused from slamming the gear by holding up on the shifter to engage the clutch and then revving the engine up before letting the shifter back down. This causes really high stress on the drive train inside the engine. The centrifugal clutch has been replaced but it seems that the gear dogs have been broken off as well which causes the transmission to seem like it is in neutral when really it is in 5th. There's just no gear dogs to transfer the power in that gear! Instant 4 speed with two neutrals!!

So those of you out there that are using your shifter as a "clutch lever" while reving the engine, BEWARE. You could be replacing a clutch prematurely or even worse some transmission gears......

Hope someone finds this helpful.....:cool: