PDA

View Full Version : 250r VS Cannondale

redipsweb
03-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Has anyone ever raced or rode both? I no handling wise you can't beat a R but I do know the Cannondale is quick! Which is faster? I haven't rode a R since late 80's but own a ATK now.

jesshamner
03-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, I can't really say too much because I have only ridden a 250r one time and it wasn't for very long. It was on a personal mx track that is very tight. The R has +2 arms and extended axle. Obviously it handled much better around the track. One thing to think about is that seat height. With the 250r conversion on a cdale, the seat is 4 inches lower. Now, to almost contradict what I have said....I am way faster for longer on the cdale. I'd say that is just a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke thing though.

Jeannie250R
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
The R would b faster, because its the 2 vs. 4 stroke thing!! 2 have the potential to b faster than 4stroke because of the way the engine works!!

redipsweb
04-05-2006, 01:36 PM
True, but the motor on the Cannondales are not like your typical 4 stroke Honda, Yamaha etc. My brother & I raced, he was on my 89 KX 250 & I was on my 450 ATK (old Cannondales) there was no way for either one to pass the other it ( there was plenty of room on the road) all came down to who got the hole shot, & that's a quad against a dirt bike it shouldn't be that close!

Iliketogofast
04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Jeannie250R
The R would b faster, because its the 2 vs. 4 stroke thing!! 2 have the potential to b faster than 4stroke because of the way the engine works!!

You're my kind of woman! ::p

QuadRacer041
04-05-2006, 03:03 PM
if you want to finish the race stay away from a cannindale.

04-05-2006, 04:46 PM
250rs are so bad*** it isnt even funny..... the cannindale would just fall apart anyways

redipsweb
04-05-2006, 06:14 PM
500exracer & QuadRacer041, not trying to be rude or get into a pissing match but not knowing how to spell it shows some of your ignorance of the Cannondale. It could also be that both of you know how to spell it but hit the "i" instead of "o", never the less. I've had mine for 2 years & probably put over 100 hours on it & I've done nothing but change oil (every 3 or 4 rides) & clean the air filter. I to think it's cool that a chick rides especially one riding a R!!

jesshamner
04-06-2006, 07:24 AM
I have to add that I've ran mine hard for 2 years now with nothing but oil changes and its hold together just like my 400ex did...rock solid.

Jeannie250R
04-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanx, Iliketogofast, LOL!!:p

Jeannie250R
04-06-2006, 11:13 AM
cum on guyz, think!! the 4 stroke quad will b slower than the R!! Its all in the motor/ piston!!! a 2 stroke 50cc has the power of about a 90cc!!! The 4 stroke 50 has the power of like a 55cc!! 2 strokes= big difference!! Duh:blah:

baker250r
04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
chicks dig 2 strokes too. they dont like waiting for the air to get in, then waiting for the air to get back out.... they would rather u pound it in and out. makes everybody happier when u can get it done faster. :D

jesshamner
04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Jeannie250R
cum on guyz, think!! the 4 stroke quad will b slower than the R!! Its all in the motor/ piston!!! a 2 stroke 50cc has the power of about a 90cc!!! The 4 stroke 50 has the power of like a 55cc!! 2 strokes= big difference!! Duh:blah:

If you're talking stock for stock, the cdale is probably faster in most cases unless on a really tight track. Once you get into mods, I guess it depends on who spends the most money. I'm not even sure what the best mods are for an R, but I'm willing to bet you have not ridden a 505 cdale with full port and polish, Caniboomer intake...etc.

SuperChris
04-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I just got my R and my buddy is getting his Cdale motor back from ATK pretty soon. I'll let you know.

QuadRacer041
04-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by SuperChris
I just got my R and my buddy is getting his Cdale motor back from ATK pretty soon. I'll let you know.

lol well my point was just proven.

QuadRacer041
04-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by redipsweb
500exracer & QuadRacer041, not trying to be rude or get into a pissing match but not knowing how to spell it shows some of your ignorance of the Cannondale. It could also be that both of you know how to spell it but hit the "i" instead of "o", never the less. I've had mine for 2 years & probably put over 100 hours on it & I've done nothing but change oil (every 3 or 4 rides) & clean the air filter. I to think it's cool that a chick rides especially one riding a R!!

well considering the "i" is right next to the "o" on the key board i think its safe to assume its just a typo...:rolleyes:
Even if it wasnt i dont see how now knowing how to spell has anything to do with the dale always breaking down.

Bill Fuller
04-07-2006, 04:45 AM
I have raced/ridden both.The R can't be beat when your talking about handling.The Cannondale is every bit as fast as the R,but just doesn't handle as well.In a straight line it would come down to the rider.

Pappy
04-07-2006, 04:53 AM
Id say that if you want to consider which is better, one being 20 years old, the other being modern....that in itself answers the question:eek2:

A good rider who can handle the R will have no problems hanging with and indeed passing someone on a cdale. Both need maintence, both will have issues if not attended too.....and Id like to have one of each in my garage again:p

Given the choice for only one........ummm.....it would depend on what I wanted it for.

Iliketogofast
04-07-2006, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by baker250r
chicks dig 2 strokes too. they dont like waiting for the air to get in, then waiting for the air to get back out.... they would rather u pound it in and out. makes everybody happier when u can get it done faster. :D

Nice.

bubbagodkin
04-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Just like the new LTR that I raced the other day, the cannondale will lose.

The R is the Godfather whether you other owners want to except it or not.....

Jay87
04-08-2006, 05:03 PM
True, but the motor on the Cannondales are not like your typical 4 stroke Honda, Yamaha etc. My brother & I raced, he was on my 89 KX 250 & I was on my 450 ATK (old Cannondales) there was no way for either one to pass the other it ( there was plenty of room on the road) all came down to who got the hole shot, & that's a quad against a dirt bike it shouldn't be that close! thats cause it was a 89 kx the new 06 kx 250 would rip it a new *******

redipsweb
04-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Jay87
thats cause it was a 89 kx the new 06 kx 250 would rip it a new *******

The 89 KX had a fresh rebuilt engine w/ less than 3 hrs on it!

trx250rkid
04-10-2006, 03:46 PM
The 89 KX had a fresh rebuilt engine w/ less than 3 hrs on it!

that doesnt really mean anything that its got a new topend, its still an 89. a new 250 4 stroke would probably beat a 250 2 stroke from the 80s.

SuperChris
04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
In an all out drag race, the older even non powervalve kx and tecate motors are Kicking ***. I hate Kawi's, but when they run they are stronger than any of todays 4 jokes. Still the Cdale most likely get spanked by a newer 250.

novaracr70
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
i really dont think a dale is that fast . I whooped on 1 with a z400 in a sand drag race several times (the z is very modded 470 13.1 ect , ) but my 250 is way more fun 2 ride . and aint that what its about? fun?

jesshamner
04-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by novaracr70
i really dont think a dale is that fast . I whooped on 1 with a z400 in a sand drag race several times (the z is very modded 470 13.1 ect , ) but my 250 is way more fun 2 ride . and aint that what its about? fun?

There is no sand around here but I'm definitely interested in it and I love to read about it. I have been to Glamis once on my cdale. From all that I have read about sand riding, a heavily modded Z seems to do pretty good. A guy on cannondaleriders and maybe here too rides on or with 2 Z400s built by DAB and Athena. Both seem to spank a stock cannondale/atk. But again, if you want to get into a mod fest, I am willing to bet a heavily modded (505) cdale will give you a run for your money. I'm not saying that the cdale is the almighty king of anything, but you have to give credit where it's due. The cdale is getting old and is still running with the 450 of today. Now, having said that, I have heard from many racers that were on 250rs for a long time, that today's 4 strokes are faster in stock form and definitely faster once you mod them.

novaracr70
04-10-2006, 09:51 PM
i didnt even know there was any kinda big bores for the dale i dont really know much about them . I do hear they are very unreliable but thats hear say. i think everything can b unreliable if not maintained . my point a quess with the z was you can have anything fast just ride what you feel the best on. and have a good time doing it

jesshamner
04-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by novaracr70
i didnt even know there was any kinda big bores for the dale i dont really know much about them . I do hear they are very unreliable but thats hear say. i think everything can b unreliable if not maintained . my point a quess with the z was you can have anything fast just ride what you feel the best on. and have a good time doing it

^^^The honest to God truth. Yes, when cannondales first came out there were a few that were unreliable. I feared that mine would break down for a long time when I first got it. Now I go out to the garage and fire it up just like I did with my trusty 400ex. After 2 years of abuse, I still haven't even had the engine apart. There were some factory updates that should have been done at the dealer or the factory and we all know how some dealers can be. When I got mine, the updates were done by Rowlrag at The Quad Shop before I even rode it. And now after all this time, cannondaleriders and cannondaler people have just about overcome any unreliabilty issue and have now concentrated on building these machines to full potential. We now have stroker cranks, big bore pistons, insane porting and polishing. We're experimenting with different injectors, valves, valve springs, cams, air box and filter set ups. There are even ktm conversions! A couple cdale riders in Europe have converted over to the LC4.

250R-Dee
04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
jesshammer - stop trying to compare a maxed out C'Dale to a stock 250R. Let's make it fair! How do you think the 505 will do against a 350, 370 or 425R?

Usually the rider/driver is what makes the difference during these comparisons. When my friend first got his '05 Blaster last year I always spanked him on our local trails. He could not get away from me when he was leading and I would run away from him when I was leading. I was riding my 4-poke '85 ATC200X 3wheeler :eek2: which is considerably slower than ANY 200cc 2-stoke.

OK, lets talk about stock but use a modern 2-stroke motor. Stock Cannondale vs Service Honda 250R is a better comparsion. Both bikes have new motors! Hmmmmm... which quad will get spanked during this battle?

These Apples to Oranges comparisons always crack me up. No, I am not a C'Dale hater. Hell, if I could get one over here I'd buy it in heartbeat because I love to tinker:D.

Oh yeah, I pimp a Cannondale F800 CAAD5 MTB when I'm not breaking car parts, wrecking dirtbikes or working on my TRX310 project that doesn't want to be completed.

jesshamner
04-12-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by TRX250RJapan
jesshammer - stop trying to compare a maxed out C'Dale to a stock 250R. Let's make it fair! How do you think the 505 will do against a 350, 370 or 425R?

Usually the rider/driver is what makes the difference during these comparisons. When my friend first got his '05 Blaster last year I always spanked him on our local trails. He could not get away from me when he was leading and I would run away from him when I was leading. I was riding my 4-poke '85 ATC200X 3wheeler :eek2: which is considerably slower than ANY 200cc 2-stoke.

OK, lets talk about stock but use a modern 2-stroke motor. Stock Cannondale vs Service Honda 250R is a better comparsion. Both bikes have new motors! Hmmmmm... which quad will get spanked during this battle?

These Apples to Oranges comparisons always crack me up. No, I am not a C'Dale hater. Hell, if I could get one over here I'd buy it in heartbeat because I love to tinker:D.

Oh yeah, I pimp a Cannondale F800 CAAD5 MTB when I'm not breaking car parts, wrecking dirtbikes or working on my TRX310 project that doesn't want to be completed.

Did you read the whole thread. That was the exact reason that I started talking about the 505. And comparing a service honda 250r isn't quite fair either. Its like comparing a stock cdale to a hybrid.

I completely agree with you on the fair comparison issue. But people started talking about modded Zs and Rs.