PDA

View Full Version : UNI or K&N??? HELP

jeannie hurtado
03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
:confused: What really works better on a TRX 250R, a UNI air filter or a K&N?? Which one gives the quad more power?? What do u guyz think?:ermm:

wilkin250r
03-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Honestly, go with the Uni. They're easier to oil, don't require cleaning as frequently, and much safer if you're not on top of your maintenance all the time.

I have a K&N. The K&N flows just a tiny bit better, but requires a LOT more attention and effort for upkeep. In reality, you're probably not going to notice a difference, so why bother with the extra hassle of a K&N?

jeannie hurtado
03-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Ya, thats wat Im running right now a UNI, I think it works fine. But, ppl r tellin me the K&N will give me alot more power, I just didnt know if it true. So it doesnt add that much more power?
thanx

Aceman
03-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Just like Wilken said, Uni and K&N are both quality aftermarket filters. I can't speak from experience but I highly doubt the small increase in airflow through a K&N is going to justify its $40 price tag. You already have a good filter, stick with it and save yourself some green.:)

wilkin250r
03-31-2006, 02:19 PM
It's not going to add all that much horsepower. A dyno might show a whopping 1/2 horsepower, and that's still optimistic. Even so, you wouldn't even feel it by seat-of-the-pants.

tmoney
03-31-2006, 02:46 PM
The K&N will give you more power than the Uni but if you ride mud the Uni is a better choice.

beerock
03-31-2006, 02:52 PM
I do not like UNI I bought 3 of them and ran all 3 and in sand i found sand particles in my tank with each clean uni, this was right after a swap from k&N which NEVER had dirt in my intake.

also I can def feel the difference in pwoer but hey im a nut. and jetting was richer with the uni and same main jet. it was not as responsive either.

Tom TRX250R
03-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Unless you ride strictly dusty conditions I would go with K&N. Keep it clean & oiled and you won't have a problem. Thats what I have always ran.

beerock
03-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
Unless you ride strictly dusty conditions I would go with K&N. Keep it clean & oiled and you won't have a problem. Thats what I have always ran.

thats the thing though tom, i ride dusty conditions i ride in like 6 different type of terrains when we ride in one day and the k&N HAS ALWAYS had a clean intake boot the uni gets dirt inside

Meat
03-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Run what the vast majority of racers use. A Uni filter or Twin Air. K&Ns were designed for cars :p

Tom TRX250R
03-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Beerock,
I agree with you 100%, I have NEVER had any dust particles in my intake boot with my K&N.

beerock
03-31-2006, 04:59 PM
in fact i have two unis brand new used once on my new bike there not clean but i ll sell em pm me

matt250r21
03-31-2006, 06:19 PM
What filter oil do you guys run on the K@N? I ran one once but it sucked dirt and killed my motor, ever since I have used Twin Airs and Twin Air filter oil with no dirt in my intake.

Tom TRX250R
03-31-2006, 08:06 PM
I have always ran the K&N oil on mine. I honestly have never have even a tiny speck of dirt in my intake boot when I have checked it.

Mechanix311
03-31-2006, 08:27 PM
I only run uni or twin air. I had a k@n in my 400 ex. It came with it and i never bothered to change it. Well i hate rebuilding 4 strokes so i sent it down to a shop in phoenix, az off road and they told me it was my sorry A** k and n filter that failed. He also told me that k and n filters keep them in business. I have never had a problem with my uni filters but i guess everyone has their own preference.

jeannie hurtado
04-03-2006, 11:26 AM
I ride in CALI. its dusty sometimes, sandy in certain areas, and wet sometimes, so i go through different types. I have never had probloms with my UNI.
Thanx for the info.:D

beerock
04-03-2006, 11:44 AM
you guys having trouble with K&N are not cleaning them correctly, power washing these filters is a no no. k&N cleaner and oil is the only thing that should be used. k&n may seem like a pain because you need to have fresh ones all the time but the responsiveness of the motor is worth it to me. IF more people bought like 3-4 filters and kept them clean it would be much easier.(I have 6 k&N and 2 UNI) once there all dirty i clean them all at once. best way to do it.

I put new filters on for almost every 2-3rd ride depending on how the filter looks.

foam filter last longer but rob power and they also allow dirt to pass, i dont care what people say. I ran 2 different unis and everytime i checked my intake tract there was dirt in it. it stopped immediately when using my k&N again. same trails and same conditions.

the only thing the uni is batter at doing is holding water instead of going in your motor.thats the only reason you would need a UNI.

250r4life
04-03-2006, 06:57 PM
i'm with beerock on this one... i am particularly anal about filters and making sure they are clean and making sure i dont suck any dirt or sand... I have 3 K&Ns and 1 UNI. i rarely rarely use the UNI, and its mostly when for some reason ive forgotten to clean the K&Ns and go out for a quick ride... i can definately tell it runs richer with the UNI and that i have more power & its crisper with the K&N... i also swap my filter and outerwear each day when down at the dunes. i also use a outerwear airbox lid, which i love by the way...
and amen to what Beerock said about pressure washing. you dont want to pressure wash them or even put your thumb on the end of the hose and spray them off like that. i take them off the bike, put them under the faucet and wash them from inside out, getting all the big chunks of sand and dirt and what not off & Out. i then let them sit for half hour or so, and then i spray 'em down real good with K&N cleaner, and let them sit for another 15-30 minutes... i then rinse them out real good, again just using the faucet and not pressurising it, and then leave it to dry for a day... i then oil it real good, making sure everything is oiled, and let it sit for another day before i use it... this process works like a champ...
i personally think UNIs are a bigger pain in the butt to clean and oil...

vinnytrx450r
04-03-2006, 08:07 PM
i was kinda curious i have a k&n and i have the airbox eliminator kit so my question is if i keep it clean and keep an extra with me do you think it would be safe? I run mx so yea it can be muddy sometimes but 80% of my riden or more is pretty dry i dont' do much hard core muddy trail riden. thanks

Mechanix311
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Wow people pressure wash k@n filters, thats funny. I only used to clean mine with the k@n recharge kit and it still seemed to fail me. I guess people like what they like. I read a review on automotive filters that they were doing a test on and the k@n ranked in last position and let the most dirt through. I know its automotive and not atv but i know the filters are similar if not made out of the same material.

beerock
04-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Mechanix311
Wow people pressure wash k@n filters, thats funny. I only used to clean mine with the k@n recharge kit and it still seemed to fail me. I guess people like what they like. I read a review on automotive filters that they were doing a test on and the k@n ranked in last position and let the most dirt through. I know its automotive and not atv but i know the filters are similar if not made out of the same material.

your right the k&n filters are in last place in those tests. thats because its a constant test with fixed variables. if you look closer at the test it tells you which filter fails first. which is the k&n but thats why you have to change them periodically. if you also notice in the test it will show which flows the highest amount of air, and that my friend is the K&N.

the test they do with the filters involves a particle machine that lets fixed amount of dirt through the filters until there efficieny fail.

the best one is the purolator or something, but this filter also has the lowest airflow rate....

so think about that test. it shows why k&N is the best in it you just have to understand the natuire of the test..

jeannie hurtado
04-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Im clean my air filter everytime i ride, i think my air filter is pretty clean:)

DezSled
04-04-2006, 08:06 PM
K& N 4250
The manufacturer will warranty them for life. I had some so old that the opposite side from the clamp area puched out/became round like a balloon. They replaced all three of them for free. They were easily over 12 years old probably 15. They are the best.

Try to warranty a twin air or a uni... they will laugh till they pee their pants.

Sure they are more labor intensive to keep clean. But they are worth the extra effort. Thats why you need at least 3. I have 9.
Tap the excess dirt off the outside. Spray them with simple green and leave them alone. Wash them from the inside out w/ warm water (light pressure). Do it again once more. Maybe one more time if they are super filthy. Let them dry, spray them w/ k&n filter oil. Hold them up to the light and look inside, if you can see light spray that area again. Stick them in a clean ziplock.

Washing a foam filter is messy, plus the sand & dirt seems like it never completely has been cleaned out. Oiling a foam filter in a large ziplock is the only clean part about them, installing them is still a mess. And still you have to grease the sealing surface/airbox. Latex gloves always w/ foamies.

ninis470
04-04-2006, 08:21 PM
do you have your uni in a air box or exposed?

Originally posted by jeannie hurtado
I ride in CALI. its dusty sometimes, sandy in certain areas, and wet sometimes, so i go through different types. I have never had probloms with my UNI.
Thanx for the info.:D

Mechanix311
04-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for more insight beerock. I wasnt sure what the test was about all i know was that the k@n let dirt through first. So i guess if you are not into maintenence than buy a uni or twin. IF you will take care of a k@n get one of them.

beerock
04-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Mechanix311
Thanks for more insight beerock. I wasnt sure what the test was about all i know was that the k@n let dirt through first. So i guess if you are not into maintenence than buy a uni or twin. IF you will take care of a k@n get one of them.

yea your right but then again, if you treat a R like that you shouldnt own one ;P j/k

the unis are def messy as hell to clean

i dont agree with dezsled about simple green I know people use it but I ONLY USE K&N cleaner(i buy the large pump spray cleaner and aerosal oil.....

i can clean my filters and oil them without even getting sticky hands if im careful..

now for everyont to know the exact way to clean a k&N (im anal)

you can also clean and oil afilter in less then 30 mintues if done like this.

take the filter off the bike

spray the k&n cleaner ALL over the filter and let it sit in your SINK(some moms wifes may flip out) but this is the BEST way to clean them. once the fiulter sits for about 15 minutes and the oil is running off turn on the water and make it warm to hot. rinse the filter with warm/hot water and then go over the filter with your eyes throughly and if you see more residue oil spray it with the cleaner again(the whole filter, just a light covering) let it sit again then rinse.

once its completely clean, go out side and hold the filter in your hand with your thumb on the inner part. and start spinning your arm around like you playing the air guitar. the centrifigal force will throw the water off the filter do this until no water comes off let it sit for about minutes and repeat it or find a fan and set it up so it drys it faster.
(or let it sit over night if your not in a hurry) choice is yours.

then get the aerosal can(much more even application then the pump oil.

spray the filter evenly with 2-3 light coats until its a nice pink color.(like painting a car motion)

get a rag or paper towel and clean up the excess oil from the rubber areas until the rubber is not oily or tacky.

slap it on your done

i have been know to show up at my buddies house and clean my filter before the day of riding because i was too sore the previous ride to clean it lol

a lazy man i am yes... hehhe

hope this clears it up..

DezSled
04-06-2006, 12:22 AM
In our experience its better if you don't use hot water to rinse the filter. Anything that shrinks the filtering fabric is a no no. Same as using a blow drier on high heat to speed up the drying process, the filtering fabric might do the same thing as your clothes drier with a favorite shirt. It gets smaller...better to fling it around like beer says to help dry it out. Out in the dunes we have left it on the trucks dash board in the sun to help dry it faster. Just need to be patient w/ drying the filter. Thats why one needs multiple filters prepped ready to go.
Simple green is what we have found that works out. b/c you can choose to dilute it alittle or alot. Depending on how dirty the filter is. Of course good ole k&n filter cleaner is a great choice. Products like 409, fantastic, even dawn dishwashing liquid works in a pinch. When time is critical and your racing even gas works. Just a thought as I am far from being an expert at everything like other people.