PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Handle Bars *ignition*

trueblue450
10-04-2001, 02:51 PM
Well,

I've been looking into buying renthals, seeing I bent my stock handle bars. I was wondering, since I would have to take off the baby guard plastic on the handle bars that Honda put on, where would I put the ignition and how? I know you can just hot wire it with the two wires, but I would rather have my ignition mounted somewhere. I was just wonderin if anyone would tell me what they did and how they did it.

Thanks

Dustin

EX4Life
10-04-2001, 05:18 PM
I removed my ignition to install a set of bars. I was going to just hardwire, but I thought I would rather keep the key.

I installed the key on the side of the bike, on the piece of plastic that wraps around the bars, right under the right side.

It looks pretty sweet, and I get to keep my key.

P.S. It hasnt gotten in the way of anything and i have had it that way for a long while now.

kc 300EX
10-04-2001, 06:59 PM
there are other options you can try, for one, the crossbar on renthals is removable, so just unboldt it and your stock plastic thing will fit fine, Another option is to get a plastic ciece off a 250X, it will hold the key and it goes under the crossbar and boldts on just like stock.................I just drilled a hole in the side plastic and put the key there, that way works fine too

10-04-2001, 08:21 PM
yea I have tag t2 handlebars and I just drilled a hold in the right side of my plastic, and put my ignition in there. It works really good and looks cool. Thats the only way to do it. (that i know.)

DaveEX II
10-05-2001, 07:33 AM
I have the 250x piece. It was 11 bucks and installed in 5 minutes. It looks stock and works pretty sweet. People are always asking me what year my quad is. I went this route because I was concerned about all the cables, wires and brake lines protruding from the stem. This little piece keeps it all in check and from looking like a crazy rats nest. Just my 2 cents.

10-06-2001, 11:34 AM
i took of my read plastic thing and the light,
i put the ignition on the frame.
its on the right side and you can reach it from sitting down.
I bought a little clamp from home depot for 50cents.

It works good there.
I tried it below the bars on the plastic thing and i didnt like it.

trueblue450
10-06-2001, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'm going to drill a hole into the right side of the plastic by the honda decals. It looks the best there I think, but does anyone know the drill bit size for the ignition?