PDA

View Full Version : Zero Preload and No Link

Iliketogofast
03-31-2006, 07:19 AM
What is the point of Zero preload or no link shocks?

fandl450r
03-31-2006, 07:34 AM
Well from what I understand "zero preload" or ZPS is a set up used on shocks to elminate having to compress or preload a shock before jumping, which also greatly lowers your ride height.

A "No-Link" set up is exactly that. The shock is bolted directly from the frame to the swingarm, so there is no linkage involved.

Iliketogofast
03-31-2006, 07:42 AM
I know that there is no linkage, and that ZPL shocks don't have preload, but why ? Especially no linkage. Does it make it smoother or what?

fandl450r
03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
After doing a simple search, that took me literally 5 seconds, http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54775&highlight=advantages+of+no+link

TBD
03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Well from what I understand "zero preload" or ZPS is a set up used on shocks to elminate having to compress or preload a shock before jumping, which also greatly lowers your ride height.

A "No-Link" set up is exactly that. The shock is bolted directly from the frame to the swingarm, so there is no linkage involved.
ZPS set ups doesn't mean that you don't have to preload before you hit jumps. Zero preload suspension is exactlly that. It's a set up that allows for a lower static ride hieght as well as a lower race sag hieght. No link swingarms will give you a more linear feel because of the absence of the linkage which is what helps with progression. No link works great for trail and desert ridding but for MX or XC I would stick with linkage.

fandl450r
03-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by TBD
ZPS set ups doesn't mean that you don't have to preload before you hit jumps. Zero preload suspension is exactlly that. It's a set up that allows for a lower static ride hieght as well as a lower race sag hieght. No link swingarms will give you a more linear feel because of the absence of the linkage which is what helps with progression. No link works great for trail and desert ridding but for MX or XC I would stick with linkage.

Thanks for the correction.

wilkin250r
03-31-2006, 11:35 AM
The scoop in ZPS.

When you sit on your quad, the shocks compress a bit, and your quad sits lower. If you want your quad to sit higher, you have to compress that spring beforehand, so it doesn't compress when you sit on it. This is "preload".

Likewise when you want your quad to sit lower. You remove that compression, so your suspension sits lower. In effect, you are changing your preload to set your ride height. Generally, you want to lower your ride height to lower your center of gravity and improve your stability in the corners. (read: the opposite of a Yamaha Raptor)

However, that preload also affects how the shock handles and responds. Generally, the less preload you have (to sit lower), the softer your shock is, and it doesn't respond the way you need it. Often, people are forced to raise the ride height in order to get the response they need from their shocks.

Enter the fantastic world of ZPS. Shock designers figured out a system to allow you to adjust your ride height without adjusting your preload. That way, you can have the best of both worlds, a lower ride hieght AND all the response they need from their shocks. You can race MX with the ride-height and stability of a flattrack racer.

This is obviously a simplification.