PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Jet size in 450R carb

Rico
03-31-2006, 05:09 AM
I can only get mine to idle with the choke on. It has a 50 pilot jet in there now. Other than that it runs great and throttle response is pretty dam sweet....

So what size pilot jets are you 450R carb owners using???

Chino886
03-31-2006, 08:47 AM
sounds like you need a 52 in your fire breathing monster! :macho

underpowered
03-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I can only get mine to idle with the choke on. It has a 50 pilot jet in there now. Other than that it runs great and throttle response is pretty dam sweet....

Seems pretty logical. Turn choke on, cuts off air, making it richer. I do believe it is a sign you need to go up a few sizes.:D OR if it ran before, give that thing a good cleaning. Ultrasonic if you can. My budies 460ex runs rine with a 52, and i cant see you needing anything bigger than that.

Rico
03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I figured it might run with a 50 but just not that good. As soon as I turn the choke off the motor dies like I"m turning the key. Guess I'll call up the stealership and see if they have one laying around.

Also I've never had it running, yesterday was the first time I fired it up with the new carb. I've got a full blown jet kit coming tomorrow so that's no worry its' just this stupid pilot jet.

Rico
03-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Well the stealership has a 55 pilot so I guess I'll throw the beotch in there and see what happens.

premiumtommy
03-31-2006, 03:19 PM
i never had to change mine when i installed it..so whatever is stock on the 450r

and 2.5 turns out

Rip_Tear
03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Rico, after you're done getting that thing adjusted can you tell us what things you had to do to get it running right? I want to do the conversion but want to get a better idea of what's involved.

Thanks

premiumtommy
03-31-2006, 04:27 PM
rip_tear

the mod is as easy as removing and installing a carb

just rip that yellow choke lever off...

cut the wire that goes into the nipple on top off..

zip tie the two electrical wires..

install the carb w/ the 450r throttle cable and fuel line..

jet...

done..

it is so easy..dont even blink cause you'll be done...its that easy

just use a heat gun on the plastic boots....

Rico
04-01-2006, 04:23 AM
The idle screw was adjusted WAAAAAAAAAY out. Once I got it adjusted properly she fires right up and runs great. Test rides are today......:D

The install is fairly easy but you can half *** throw it on there or do it correctly. I"ll have a full writeup on it in the next few days with some pics.

I've seen pics on here of some peoples conversion and it scared the hell out of me, and I've seen others that were a good setup.

JOEX
04-01-2006, 06:29 PM
The idle screw was adjusted WAAAAAAAAAY out. Once I got it adjusted properly she fires right up and runs great. Test rides are today......:D

The install is fairly easy but you can half *** throw it on there or do it correctly. I"ll have a full writeup on it in the next few days with some pics.

I've seen pics on here of some peoples conversion and it scared the hell out of me, and I've seen others that were a good setup.
Please point out what not to do as well as what to do :)

I'm thinking of going this route too rather than a full aftermarket carb;)

cals400ex
04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
i was just going to ask you where that fuel screw position was set at but i see you have solved the problem.

the weird thing is that it was set really far out.......this is a fuel screw. turning it out makes it richer on this carb, just like a 400ex stock carb. and turning the choke on helped?? i see that as being odd but who knows.

by the way, the stock pilot jet is a 48 in the 450r carb.

QuadJunkies
04-01-2006, 09:30 PM
I runs great and throttle response is pretty dam sweet....

I told ya its a great mod!! :blah: :D ;)

I use a 42 pilot, never heard anyone arond here use that size so Im of no help

Rico
04-02-2006, 06:10 AM
For a complete writeup on the carb install a long with some helpful hints click this LINK (http://www.********forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8176). I"m not going to rewrite all of it again....LOL

I can say the quad starts and idles MUCH better with the new carb on there when it's cold....:devil: