PDA

View Full Version : Battery relocation...DONE

berge75
03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Here it is...http:// http://

berge75
03-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Cleans up nice... Ckeck out the 250r nerfs after making up some mounts.

spudss
03-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Where is the battery.. You cant see it in the first pic.. I am intersted in knowing how and what you did..

AL Elks
03-30-2006, 07:45 PM
SWEET! How about some more pics and info on how you re-located it.

Thanks!

03-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Is that the stock battery or a smaller one? Did you make the box yourself?

berge75
03-31-2006, 07:00 AM
I made a stainless steel box lined with foam,used a stock yfz450 battery,and mounted in between the frame rails. I ran the wiring harness up and towards the front and mounted the solenoid and the fuse block in the front by the steering stem. I made new cables to run to the engine block and to the solenoid. I fabed up some box mounts to be attached to the lower rear a arm mounts.
I have ran a similar set up on my 04 yfz for the last 2 years and have had no problems mounting in that location. The batteries seem to last longer (2 years and counting) and did not have problems with the batery falling out like i did when it was in the stock location. A big plus is getting the solenoid and the fuse block in behind the plastic where it is out of the elements.

Here's a left side view

FUTheman
03-31-2006, 07:35 AM
looks like a lot better location. i hope the mounting works out. suzuki should have come up with something like that from the beginning.

spudss
03-31-2006, 12:44 PM
I still cant see what you did.. Do you have any pics fron the front.. You need to make up a kit and sell them..LOL..

4strokin
03-31-2006, 05:01 PM
wow that looks awesome. can you notice any more weight up front when you ride?? if you can post some pics up close maybe with the plastics off? great job!

AL Elks
03-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Look at where the rear of the bottom a-arm bolts up. You can see how he created a mounting bracket that bolts there and is part of a metal box that holds the battery. You can also see the metal hold down strap with a bolt through it.

berge75
03-31-2006, 06:54 PM
here's a few better shots

berge75
03-31-2006, 06:58 PM
front

berge75
03-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Heres a left side view,notice ample clearence for nerfs. It was a snug fit but it turned out nice. When you stand back looking at the quad ,it's hard to spot where the battery is with the polish stainless, because of the mirror finish.

readybeartoe
04-01-2006, 01:04 AM
NICE JOB! I was thinking about using the R's nerfs too. This will help! I'm curious how you mounted the pegs from the frame. Did you weld chromly tubing to the frame? Or did you modify the AC pegs from the R and bolt them to the frame?:uhoh: :D

berge75
04-01-2006, 11:07 PM
I made up my own mounts out of stainless steel,tig weld them at 5 degrees up slope. The cross tube is 6061 aluninum tube. If your interested maybe i could make you up a kit of pegs and cross tube. 250r pro pegs are cheap, usually get them around $160

spudss
04-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Looks great..

readybeartoe
04-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by berge75
I made up my own mounts out of stainless steel,tig weld them at 5 degrees up slope. The cross tube is 6061 aluninum tube. If your interested maybe i could make you up a kit of pegs and cross tube. 250r pro pegs are cheap, usually get them around $160

SWEET!!! I'll keep that in mind. I haven't decided yet but I know don't like anything that's already out there for nerfs on the LTR. The blingstar, and the others that are out now are not what I'm looking for. Plus they are way too expensive! I already have 4 sets of AC pro peg nerfs from my 250r's , so I can use one of them.:D Thanks

Shindog
04-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Man, I like this idea, but wanted to ask you about the rear fenders, do they flap around alot without that front suppoort? What would you charge me to make me a set of adapters so I can do this if the fenders arent an issue?

berge75
04-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Shindog
Man, I like this idea, but wanted to ask you about the rear fenders, do they flap around alot without that front suppoort? What would you charge me to make me a set of adapters so I can do this if the fenders arent an issue?

They don't flap around with these brackets

spudss
04-04-2006, 03:32 PM
I like the look of that pipe.. Never seen it before who makes it? How does it sound and perform??

JIMTED79
04-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Man your on to something with that battery relocation, that was really the only complaint I had on the LTR, thinking of getting one.

berge75
04-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by spudss
I like the look of that pipe.. Never seen it before who makes it? How does it sound and perform??

This is a proto by AAEN performance. The sound is a little louder than stock with the spark arester ,and without it about the same about the same as the other aftermarket pipes. I had it on the dyno yesterday and it made 47.7 no sparky,46.7 with sparky,cherry bomb,no lid,92 octane.

aroracer72
04-12-2006, 11:33 AM
I see you used sheet metal and a spot welder...from emtals class in school???...my friend is getting one of these zuk's and i was already working on a battery relocation for his!!!..LOL.....glad to see theres another smart person out there...cause the stock location is jsut retarded...well..ill be nicer....NOT well thought out.
CHAD

450man
04-12-2006, 01:34 PM
i doubt it is from school. that man is one of the oldest and still best riders in wisconsin. reminds me of gust...

Yamahauler_04
04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
I'd be interested in seeing a bone stock LTR on a 4 way scale.

I have wondered since the first pics came out if Suzuki put the battery there for a balance issue.

aroracer72
04-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Ohh..only reason i thought he used a school shop is because spot welders are very popular in shop classes...and he used a spot welder in his battery tray box.
CHAD

aroracer72
04-13-2006, 08:51 AM
And your kidding me right???.......NONE of you would notice that 6 pound difference.....only people that actually would, would be top pro's.
CHAD

4strokin
04-13-2006, 09:59 AM
well with the battery up front i was thinkin it might be a little harder to get the front end up. or maybe a little nose heavy in the air. just a thought

aroracer72
04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
I know, its a good thought and i didnt mean to sound like a butthead...lol....but its only 6 pounds....you make far more inpout with yourself..and mud/dirt cakes up up to double that weight...and you prolly never really notice it.
CHAD

Yamahauler_04
04-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I know you would probably never notice it. I know I wouldn't. I was just wondering if there was a reason they put it there better than, "Oh crap, we forgot the battery".

Probably not though.

I'm trying to give the the benefit of the doubt. Probably a bad idea on my part.

It just always looked tacked on there, and has stuck out to me as one of those, why did they do that? things.

berge75
04-14-2006, 10:13 AM
I didn't notice any difference with weight bias moving it to the front on this quad. I did shave some wieght off with this set up, it's a smaller battery and the box is also lighter than the stock one. On my yfz i noticed moving it made it a little better in the corners with a slightly lower center of gravity,but that's taking it off the back of the subframe. I didn't do just for looks, i made it easier to work on the engine without having to deal with wires hanging all over the motor,and removing the battery box when it's time to tear it down.

JIMTED79
04-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Yamahauler_04
I know you would probably never notice it. I know I wouldn't. I was just wondering if there was a reason they put it there better than, "Oh crap, we forgot the battery".

Probably not though.

I'm trying to give the the benefit of the doubt. Probably a bad idea on my part.

It just always looked tacked on there, and has stuck out to me as one of those, why did they do that? things.

I dont know if this is right but if they put it on the sub frame it might melt because of the exhaust coming out of the rear center, dont know just trying to help.

readybeartoe
04-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by aroracer72
And your kidding me right???.......NONE of you would notice that 6 pound difference.....only people that actually would, would be top pro's.
CHAD

Try duck taping a 6lb. weight to your helmet then take a ride and see if you notice a difference or not.:p I would! It comes from Suzuki in the best location for ballance and handleing by getting the extra weight of the battery to the center of the machine and as low as possiable, and every little bit helps! Moving the battery forward just a little (even a few inches) is even better for keeping the nose down under hard accelaeration. + the extra benefits of using nerfs that are less expensive.

sucmah
04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
would the stock battery fit in the same location with a larger box?

berge75
04-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by sucmah
would the stock battery fit in the same location with a larger box?

No. The stock battery is the same hight and width but is deeper,so it wouldn't clear the steering frog.

SHIFTx450
10-20-2013, 08:41 AM
berge you still around with this?

Came across this researching battery relocation for my ltr, well done, make me one!

Got pics of the box before you mounted it?

Has it held up well over the years?