PDA

View Full Version : 1986 trx 250 good quad, please help

DOHC
03-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Im sure theres lots of these post and stuff but im going to buy a new quad this weekend and i need to know is a 1986 trx 250 a good quad, do they have any probs?, are the motors reliable, r they good for track and trail?, how fast r they (ps this is not a stock 1 im looking at it has $5500 cnd im mods), r they worth the money and will i get my money back, thanks for all the help

Tom TRX250R
03-30-2006, 07:16 PM
They are an excellent quad, far above its time! If you are looking at one just make sure to check over it real well. Check for any frame cracks, check by the motor to see if the chain has popped off and cracked the left engine case, then just basically check over everything to make sure it is nice and tight. Ride it and check if it is shifting smooth, running good, etc. If you get a clean R then IMO you won't find a funner better quad out there. You just have to make sure the person that owned it before you took care of it and maintained it correctly.

250Renvy
03-30-2006, 08:05 PM
The 250R is a great quad. Since it's all modded up, have a GOOD look at it, since it was probably raced and a stock framed 86 could potentially have a lot of beat on time on it. Check to see if it's heavily welded on or cracked. Ask if the guy built it or bought it built. If he says there's all kinds of engine work, ask to see receipts or he could be blowin smoke up your ***.
It should have an aftermarket swingarm, alxe, shocks and a-arms to be worth more $

Let us know how it goes.

readybeartoe
03-31-2006, 01:38 AM
You will love it! The feel of th R is unmatched! If you get a GOOD one. Be ready to get yourself a service manual for better knowledge of the R. Things go wrong on almost every used quad so if you invest in a Clymer manual it will be worth it. The 250r is just about the easiest to work on too! Simple, Effective, reliable(if built right), smooth and OH YEAH! .....FREAKN FUN! If it has been taken care of and is well maintained you will be well rewarded with the free spirit of a true ledgend every time you throw a leg over it and kick it to life. ;) Every time I start to think about selling mine, all I have to do is start it up and ride it for a minute and then I'm in love again and I know it will be with me forever. If you're planning on racing, and you have never riden one, and the one you will buy is built,. You must know that it takes a little more skill to win over racing a new 450 4-stroke...but it has been done.;) and it's much more satisfying!:D

readybeartoe
03-31-2006, 01:46 AM
I like the 86 over my 89, The shorter rod in the 86 seems to rev faster. IMO the 86 frames are stronger too. The 5th and 6th gears are a little too tall though. For some good info about 250rs go to www.macdizzy.com and skip to the 2-stroke and then scroll down to the things you can click on and look at without being a member.;)