PDA

View Full Version : Need Desperate Help

Stroked_Camaro8
03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Heres the deal. I have a 96 Banshee. It was lady owned when i bought it in 04. It had 2 tanks of gas when I got it. I since then its only had about 10 tanks through it. I just changed the reeds before winter and I put it up. I decided I was going to race this season but because the thumb throttle was so stiff, I decided to switch to a twist throttle. The bike has always started on the first and second kick but now that I put the twist throttle on it, It acts like its running off of one cylinder. I dont believe its the top end going out, before i started messing with it, it ran fine. I bought the correct idle jets and had them pre set by a yamaha dealership. The bike still starts and runs but it runs like its on one cylinder until u hit third gear and then it acts normal. It is also seems like its eating a hell of a lot more of gas. I do have a k and n air filter and toomey t5 pipes but the people at the dealership told me the stock jets would be just fine with it. I do not no where to start and I need any help I can get.

enquadrider16
03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
it could be your reeds or carbs. sorry im not more help

03-30-2006, 04:17 PM
put new plugs in it...and i know it sounds dumb but make sure the spark plug caps r on all the way...one time my spark plug cap on 1 of my cylenders wasnt all the way on and it sounds like the same problem...make sure both cylenders are getting gas too...i hope this helps

SheeRider
03-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Stroked_Camaro8
Heres the deal. I have a 96 Banshee. It was lady owned when i bought it in 04. It had 2 tanks of gas when I got it. I since then its only had about 10 tanks through it. I just changed the reeds before winter and I put it up. I decided I was going to race this season but because the thumb throttle was so stiff, I decided to switch to a twist throttle. The bike has always started on the first and second kick but now that I put the twist throttle on it, It acts like its running off of one cylinder. I dont believe its the top end going out, before i started messing with it, it ran fine. I bought the correct idle jets and had them pre set by a yamaha dealership. The bike still starts and runs but it runs like its on one cylinder until u hit third gear and then it acts normal. It is also seems like its eating a hell of a lot more of gas. I do have a k and n air filter and toomey t5 pipes but the people at the dealership told me the stock jets would be just fine with it. I do not no where to start and I need any help I can get.

I think its your top end because its jetted way to lean!!!! If your airbox lid is off you need to have atleast 310 main jets, and 27.5 pilot jets. What is your elevation and the air temperature so I can help you jet it closer.

If that doesnt fix it try switching the plug caps and see if the problem switches sides (if it does its an electrical problem). If its not that then unplug your t.o.r.s. (box on top of carbs) unhook the clips that go to the black box on the bottem of the gas tank.

Stroked_Camaro8
03-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by SheeRider
I think its your top end because its jetted way to lean!!!! If your airbox lid is off you need to have atleast 310 main jets, and 27.5 pilot jets. What is your elevation and the air temperature so I can help you jet it closer.

If that doesnt fix it try switching the plug caps and see if the problem switches sides (if it does its an electrical problem). If its not that then unplug your t.o.r.s. (box on top of carbs) unhook the clips that go to the black box on the bottem of the gas tank.

To be honest I dont have a clue on the elevation I live in a small town right off of lake michigan its about a hour drive from Chicago. I am running a lid on the box. I was wondering if the lid actually makes a difference? The last time I had a chance to mess with it was a couple of days ago, I did change the plugs and made sure the gas was mixed exactly right but it smokes like its running way rich. Could it be its starving itself of fuel and then dumping it when I hit the higher gears? The directions said 2 unplug the t.o.r.s but it said that it was under the left fender gas tank, it is unpluged and the ones are unpluged from the top carbuerator do you know if there are more? because I didnt check. Im pretty mad that the yamaha dealership lied to me about the jets and even tho my problem still isnt quite solved you all have been a big help. Im a 17 year old do it yourselfer and I cant express how much help this is. A big thanks 2 everyone.

robjohn74
03-31-2006, 07:35 AM
here is a web site that i go to when i need help with my shee ...post the same ? on there and you will find out what to do..

http://www.planetsand.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/twostroke

number52
09-23-2007, 06:22 PM
ever figure out what was wrong with this one, mine is doing the same thing?

RagunCajun
09-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Stock mains are way too lean for a shee with t5's and an aftermarket filter. First things first, do a compression test. If it's too low, time to redo the top end. I was using a 280 main with my t6 pipes. EVERY bike is different but stock mains are too lean.

As for the carb, if you removed the TORS, it should have idle screws. There's no such thing as an idle jet. The stock pilot(25) should be fine. Work on getting that main jet right first, then you can mess with the needle clip position and pilot jet IF and only IF it needs to me adjusted. Both my needle clip position and pilot was in the stock position with my toomey pipes. Every bike is different, remember that.

For the TORS, there's the wire on the parking brake(cut it), and there's the wire thats in the thumb throttle, cut it. That takes care of those two wires. Next there are the two wires from the top of the TORS $hit on the carbs and the little box. It all needs to be cut, removed etc. Disconnecting those will do fine. If the TORS still is functional, the engine wont go very far pass idle. If it does, then the TORS isnt your problem.

Dont run it again till you check what mains are in it! Start rich then work your way down.

Dont worry about small problems like this. banshees are very easy to work on and are cheap to fix.

Your dealership is retarded for telling you about those jetting settings. If they dont know, they should of said so. Id be pissed and would go back a little mad.:mad:

number52
09-24-2007, 04:26 AM
Ok, here's my problem.

I have a Banshee that someone else has had there hands on and I don't know what has been done to it that is causing the problems listed below.

First problem was that the bike wouldn't rev above 1000 RPM's, Installed a TORS eliminator kit on it and it still bogged. So I started messing with jetting. Pulled carbs apart and everything looks great. The bike runs like crap until you pull the air box lid off then it bogs up to 1/2 throttle, then takes off. Mods listed below

Procircuit pipes and silencer, airbox lid on, 500 feet above sea level, boyseen carbon fiber reeds and cage.

Jetting was set at 250 mains when I got it. Plugs where wet and ran better when air box lid was off. So I put 220 mains in, still cut out everywhere with lid on, took lid off and it was better, but still cut out up to 1/2 throttle.

A lot of people on another site told me I should have around 280 mains with these mods. So I put 280's in and now it really runs like crap. Even with airbox lid off runs way worse. Someone asked if I had choke tube, and I did not, so I put one on and it didn't make any difference, probably because it was sucking in some air leaning it out which may have made it run just a little better.

Purchased a Dyno Jet kit for it, installed new needles and noticed the ones I took out of it where different lengths. WTF, thought this was the problem, but to wasn't, didn't help a bit.

I have cut out on carb slides to the back and all TORS system unplugged. Running new fuel and oil mixture on VP110. And brand new spark plugs. Please HELP anyone. Thanks

RagunCajun
09-24-2007, 04:39 AM
If it doesnt rev far pass idle, then i think it's the TORS. You need to disconnect everything dealing with that. Double check you disconnected the box, disconnected the two plugs coming from the crap ontop the carbs, parking brake wire and thumb throttle wire.