PDA

View Full Version : Krylon fusion plastic paint.

Mxjunkie
03-30-2006, 10:13 AM
When your plastics are just about clapped out and you dont have the money to get brand new plastics just yet this product comes in handy. I was leary about using it at first but I didnt have 500 dollars to spend on plastics, had a motor to build :devil:

I first sprayed a cr80 rear fender I had and let it sit for 24 hours like krylon recomends I even did some flames on it just for laughs. When I went to grab it I dropped it on the floor.. Didnt chip I was amazed usually paint from a rattle can isnt this durable! I proceeded to bend the living piss out of this fender, jump on it even bend it so it would stay bent and pop back. To my surprisement the paint didnt crack, chip, splinter or anything!

With that said, here comes the techincal blibber blabber for you guys Any questions about this, feel free to PM me

Materials- 3-4 cans of Krylon fusion paint, Cleaner, 320-400 grit sand paper, String.

Clean the plastics, use a grease cutter, carb cleaner anything of the sort to remove anything that will react with the paint.

Second step, Sand the plastics LIGHTLY with 320 or 400 grit sand paper. When I mean lightly you dont have to put alot of force into the sanding, let the paper do the work. Any areas you cannot fit sand paper into use a s.o.s or scotch brite pad and scuff it.

Once you have sanded both bottom and top of your plastics clean them once again, if possible blow them off with a air chuck to make sure that there isnt any dust to interfer with the paint.

Krylon recomends to paint the plastics in a area 65-70 degrees, this helps the paint cure.

For painting if possible hang the plastics in the air so you can make sure you get every possible nook and cranny. Spray the bottom of the fenders first. This is so you dont get over spray on the top. If you spray the top first, when you are spraying the bottom the overspray will go onto the top and make it grainy. Spray in LIGHT coats, dont try and paint them in one spray it will create runs also the paint will lift is there is to much in one area.

Now that they are painted Kryon recomends they sit for 24 hours for the paint to cure.

...:::: Plastics before :::...:scary:

Mxjunkie
03-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Plastics after krylon..

::::BEWARE::::

Stickers do rip off the paint. If you put stickers on it, besure you want them there!

Also, at the rausch ride I did manage to chip the paint finally, if your ever going to ride in muck, mud or anything like that I wouldnt recomend it. I had probaly a good 10-15 pounds of mud per side doing jumps etc and thats the only time it ever chipped.. Good stuff :cool:

theTman
03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
stuff works good..

BEFORE

theTman
03-30-2006, 03:01 PM
AFTER

Blood500
04-02-2006, 05:02 PM
how long did you let it site between coats ?, and did you use a clear coat after ?

flyin#5
04-02-2006, 09:42 PM
i would wait about 15 minutes between coats. this gas IS NOT GAS RESISTANT. so if you use it near your gas tank be careful when fueling up. if you do spill dont wipe it off, it'l take the paint right off. clearcoat helps to prevent this i've been told... havnt tried it though.

Hondaexboy
04-03-2006, 07:59 PM
does any of those plastic cleaners/scratch removers take the paint off?

Mxjunkie
04-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by flyin#5
i would wait about 15 minutes between coats. this gas IS NOT GAS RESISTANT. so if you use it near your gas tank be careful when fueling up. if you do spill dont wipe it off, it'l take the paint right off. clearcoat helps to prevent this i've been told... havnt tried it though.

If you get it off in time it doesnt take it off but it lifts the paint, I learned the hard way :o

The clear will help but when it chips you have to sand all the clear down, paint then clear again.

Zak529
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
has anybody who used the krylon paint cleaned their bike with a pressure washer ahter they used it....if so will it chip or lift the paint or damage it in any way

30ex-man
05-24-2006, 04:50 PM
if you have one small chip and the power washer gets that chip it is all over the paint will lift up and go bye bye

theTman
05-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 30ex-man
if you have one small chip and the power washer gets that chip it is all over the paint will lift up and go bye bye

never happened to me...

250r4life
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
where do you buy this stuff?

Mxjunkie
06-10-2006, 05:21 PM
walmart, pep boys etc..

ThorR88
06-11-2006, 09:06 PM
just used it on my R i had a yellow 400ex and i traded it for this 310r and my hipers were yellow so i bought that spray paint and heres how it looks....

jake300ex
06-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Ok guys just finished my project with painting the whole body krylon fusion blue. My 300ex was red before and was in terrible shape. I put 10 coats of paint on seperated by 25 min. each on everything along with 5 coats of clear, and my end result was DECENT. The paint is chipping pretty good in some places. Where the bumpers rubbed together just a litle bit putting the rear end on the front bumper paint completely scraped off about 3 inches down. The paint really is not holding up like it should be, but i guess it is better than what i had before? I am kinda upset with this project. I worked 8 hours on it and went through 2 cans of clear, 5 cans of blue fusion. In my own opinion i would say this project is not worth it, unless your bumpers are cracked all the way down the sides like mine was. Save your money and get some new plastics. Oh yea, and i did hand sand the **** out of the body before i painted. I followed every single instruction. Thanks for the post though! good write up...

ruffryder88
06-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ThorR88
just used it on my R i had a yellow 400ex and i traded it for this 310r and my hipers were yellow so i bought that spray paint and heres how it looks.... You did10 coats with only 25 minutes of dry time in between each....no wonder why its not holding up...lol

ThorR88
06-19-2006, 05:03 PM
? no did 2 coats and it holds on fine......

jake300ex
06-20-2006, 02:59 PM
where does it sound like i went wrong? I let it sit for 36 hours before riding with the bumpers on too

suzukichick
07-01-2006, 10:01 PM
i'm not positive, because i haven't read the can for instructions yet, but to the best of my knowledge (i work with paint a lot) you should try to minimize the number of coats of paint because the more coats of paint that you have on your plastics, the thicker the paint will be, thus needing even More time to cure. I'm a girl, and here's the analogy i use for ppl not sure if it helps?? Think of when a girl paints her nails, she starts with a thin coat, and lets it dry, then adds another thin coat the next day...she doesnt spread it on thick and try to type on the keyboard with her newly painted nails!! :) I know you may not relate, being a guy, but at least you might get the idea im trying to get across. Even though the can may say to wait 25 min. between coats, it depends on the spread rate at which you spray the paint on with. If you oversprayed too much, then you would have to wait even longer for the 1st coat to dry. Hope this helps you for future projects! ;)
*ayla*

wolffie
07-12-2006, 09:42 AM
i did a few coats but then sanded them down with steel wool in between. my final coat consisted of just two coats about 30minutes between them.(it was also like 80* outside though)

suzukichick
08-31-2006, 09:41 PM
The humidity is a big factor also, because if you have moisture in the air, that will affect the way that the paint dries. You may not even be able to see the little air bubbles that form on the surface of the paint. but after you let it dry for 30 minutes, you may still have moisture on or in the paint and when you put that next coat of paint on, you are going to lock those bubbles in place, therfore, ruining all the work you did in the first place. you will see that the paint will soon start to peel, bubble, crack and just not hold up very well because of the moisture. To cure this problem, exspecially in the summer, or rainy or humid days, paint in a garage or shed of some sort and plug in a dehumidifer or air conditioner. That may not be possible for some ppl, so plan you day when the humidity is down a bit, if you keep an eye on the weather in the morning, they usually tell you...

As far as painting goes, my fiance and i just wanted to let you guys know. we primed and painted our racks with Rustoleum Brand grey primer and then the next day with black texture paint, it's a really sandy, fine texture. They turned out awesome!! Will have to get some close ups for this site! They are perfect for the rack because now they have a lot of grip, and the paint has held up really well even after putting a chainsaw on the racks to do some yard work and also putting rubber straps onto the sides of them! Our next project is to prime and paint the same color and texture on this little pull behind trailer my fiance welded together for the atv. He just got done welding the metal mesh floor to it tonight, so i think we may be able to paint this weekend, as long as it doesn't rain! :) I would highly recommend it to anyone who has rusty peeling nasty racks(which im sure many of you do!) The texture blends in quite nicely with the dark green and black colors of the atv! But always remember, if you are going to paint, prime FIRST!!! Even if you dont have a painted surface, because its hard for paint to adhere to glossy surfaces, and primer ALSO makes ur final coat of paint look a lot better and smoother, a more professional look. And in addition to looks and adhesion, it will help with the durability of your paint job, helps prevent cracking, peeling, flashing, fading, chipping! It's a wonderful thing!! :)
*ayla and justin*

YATES
09-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I have some banshee plastics that already have a coat of paint chipping off them, not sure what kind of paint.....anyway, what should I do with them before attempting to paint them?

Mxjunkie
10-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by YATES
I have some banshee plastics that already have a coat of paint chipping off them, not sure what kind of paint.....anyway, what should I do with them before attempting to paint them?

Sand them with 400 grit sand paper till smooth, clean them and then you can spray them :)

Or if you want you can get paint stripper and remove the paint just make sure you get all of the paint stripper off the plasitcs before painting them..

firefighterjosh
11-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Josh your at 10000 posts:eek2:

Anways I may do this to my 400ex plastic since I dunno want to speed the mula on new right now.. How many cans for front and rear plastic? 5 cans be good? I am not sure what color to do yet. Silver or black. Here is the my quad silver before I bought it

firefighterjosh
11-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Wrong pic oppss here is another one

ltownfam8
11-20-2006, 05:34 PM
i painted my plastic wit the right stuff the paint peels right off n **** looks ugly u think i did somthing wrong

Mxjunkie
11-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by ltownfam8
i painted my plastic wit the right stuff the paint peels right off n **** looks ugly u think i did somthing wrong

Sounds like you tryed to paint them at once and the paint is too thick..

did you sand it?

YFZRB
11-27-2006, 07:08 AM
I haven't done any plastic painting, but do plenty of cabinet painting and paint and lacquer spraying. Maybe you should sand with a more course sandpaper first. The idea is to make some significant scratch patterns for the paint to grip to. Maybe 180 or 220 grit. Then after a primer or first coat then got use the 400 grit to flatten out the first coat. Just a thought on why everyone is peeling. I'm thinking of doing mine as well over the winter so keep posting results.

Mud_Slinging
11-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I cleaned,sanded,cleaned,dried, painted, clear coated....

BEFORE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/Matt-Suter/My%20fourwheeler/DSCF0008.jpg
AFTER
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/Matt-Suter/My%20fourwheeler/newlights1.jpg

wolffie
12-08-2006, 12:58 PM
that came out good man.

Blue_Streak23
12-09-2006, 02:36 PM
^^That does look nice, was the frame painted too, or pc'ed?

Mud_Slinging
12-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Sanded,Painted, then Clear coated too, with Automotive Paint with Metallic Flake.

Quadjunkie
01-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as clear primer? If so, does krylon make some?

Dr89
04-28-2008, 04:09 PM
yea you can buy clear primer. i wouldn't though, i did once and it was a pain trying to tell what was already covered, how thick, etc, and then trying to sand it down smooth without going to deep....yea.

hondarider101
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
how well would this hold up on a hood for a 450r?? if i did the steps right and let it bake in the sun for a day or 2 between coats.

hvpunk62
10-25-2008, 07:34 PM
i heard stickers will rip off krylon paint but will masking tape?

motox92
11-24-2008, 04:14 AM
Where can I buy this?

907Rider
11-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Where can I buy this?

Walmart

02-05-2009, 04:39 PM
lol, broke down and did it. Came out good actually.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/Hondamaster5505/Banshee011.jpg

hypersnyper6947
02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
looks good, if my plastics were not in such awesome condition i would do this, i want white plastics, which is far from my kawi green.

Let u know how it holds up once you get that banshee finished.

bigreddh1
02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Anyone know how sem paint would work. It has flex in the paint and the primer has flex too. I priced it all today it would all come to $144 Canadian. I will post how it turns out when i finally do it.