PDA

View Full Version : WB E-series weld broke

Yee-Haw_400EX
03-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Its not the aluminum weld that broke, but the stainless part where it connects to the headpipe and bolts to the frame. No idea how long its been broke but its puttin alot of stress on the aluminum part. Can this be welded?

zeppelin
03-30-2006, 05:04 AM
I have heard of this happening before, and yes it can be welded. The best way to do it would probably to tack it while it is still on the bike to make sure everything is lined uo before you seam it up. Make sure the battery is disconected before you start welding on the quad though.

GPracer2500
03-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Mine cracked all to hell. The little steal tab that bolts to the subframe broke. I kept riding it like that and ALL the welds that connect the front silencer endcap cracked. Amazingly it remained somewhat solid in that condition. But it leaked a lot. The internals of the silencer seemed to be keeping everything together. I tried contacting WB for help for which they offered none. I had my local tuning shop reweld it all for me.

Here's a tip when installing exhausts that will help reduce stress on the pipe: During the install, mount the entire exhaust with all the bolts loosely fitted including the header bolts. Then, slowly tighten all the mounting points a little at a time while trying to find the most neutral postion. If you tighten each bolt down all the way before you move on to the next one it will often put extra stress on the last thing you tighten.

Yee-Haw_400EX
03-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Here's a tip when installing exhausts that will help reduce stress on the pipe: During the install, mount the entire exhaust with all the bolts loosely fitted including the header bolts. Then, slowly tighten all the mounting points a little at a time while trying to find the most neutral postion. If you tighten each bolt down all the way before you move on to the next one it will often put extra stress on the last thing you tighten.

Thats a good tip but my pipe is over 5 years old.

GPracer2500
03-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Yee-Haw_400EX
Thats a good tip but my pipe is over 5 years old.

Doesn't matter. It's a good practice when installing any pipe on most anything. Whether the pipe is new or used is irrelevent.