PDA

View Full Version : Seized Pivot bolt

trx4ever
03-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Ok I have my axle off , and getting ready to change the swinger, so I loosen the nut on the pivot bolt, an try to tap it out, then hit out, and then all god willing bang the crap out of it. How do i get this damn bolt out.

bh2285
03-29-2006, 11:20 PM
I spent a whole day trying to get that damn bolt out...Go to the harware store and buy a metal rod about the size of the bolt once you have your steel rod drill a screw that is small enough to go in the hole of the swing arm bolt in the middle of the steel rod..This is to keep it in the center when you are beating the hell out of it.

This is how I did it There must be a better way.

limetimeracerII
03-29-2006, 11:33 PM
There is a better way. Stay away from your bearings with the pressure washer and pull your swingarm bolt out once in a while and clean and grease the bearings.

trx4ever
03-29-2006, 11:41 PM
this is a buddys quad and he just got it.

Pappy
03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
If you have time, PB Blaster is what I would recommend to try first. The pivot bolt siezes to the pivot bearing and or the outside collar. This is what happens when disimiliar metals corrode, they ineffect weld themselves together. Soaking PBBlaster will alot of times eat way at enough of the corrosion that it can be removed, but not always.

Ive had to cut swing arms off the pivot bolt before, and that was after a week of constant application of PB Blaster, heat from a torch and several hours of working on the bolt with an air hammer.

Funny what lack of maintence can lead to:p

patches85
03-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Get yourself a 5/8 drill bit and drill it out. Worked great for me! I tried PB Blaster, heat, and even lard! The drill will go right down the middle because of the bolt being hollow.

jeremy_283
03-30-2006, 09:36 AM
nice idear patches.................. should we all jsut get some sorta stainless pivot instead?

patches85
03-30-2006, 01:11 PM
The stainless ones are like $60! I am just gonna try and take care of my steel one .

Pappy
03-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by extremejrowe
nice idear patches.................. should we all jsut get some sorta stainless pivot instead?

The SS units will corrode just as fast if not faster then the stock pivot bolt.

theTman
03-30-2006, 05:04 PM
molycoat it

patches85
03-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
The SS units will corrode just as fast if not faster then the stock pivot bolt.

Any good suggestions?

Pappy
03-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by patches85
Any good suggestions?
pull the stock one and grease it often.

underpowered
03-30-2006, 06:18 PM
pull the stock one and grease it often.

also, somewhere there is a How To on making your stock one grease-able

#1rmman220
03-30-2006, 06:24 PM
If you have time, PB Blaster is what I would recommend to try first. The pivot bolt siezes to the pivot bearing and or the outside collar. This is what happens when disimiliar metals corrode, they ineffect weld themselves together. Soaking PBBlaster will alot of times eat way at enough of the corrosion that it can be removed, but not always.

Ive had to cut swing arms off the pivot bolt before, and that was after a week of constant application of PB Blaster, heat from a torch and several hours of working on the bolt with an air hammer.

Funny what lack of maintence can lead to:p

PB blaster is a life saver, i use it all the time

Pappy
03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
also, somewhere there is a How To on making your stock one grease-able

search Rowlrag <---member name im pretty sure he is the one who posted the info