PDA

View Full Version : sloppy hub

GoingBig
07-28-2002, 05:30 PM
hey guys on one of my rear wheels theres alittle slop in the rear hub. i tightend up the nut but after one ride its sloppy again. is that just an outer wheel bearing going bad and do i have to take the axle out to fix it. if i have to take the axle out what should i replace while im in there.thanks for any info

phatswinn
07-28-2002, 05:39 PM
check the splines, they may be stripped thats what happened to my recon

07-28-2002, 05:54 PM
Be sure to tighten the hub nut back to factory specs. If everything is right, it should take a lot more than one ride to work loose. If you already tightened it back to factory recommendation and it came loose after one ride, then the axle or hub splines may be worn, or the hub may be developing a crack somewhere around the area that it contacts the axle.

Wingnut
07-28-2002, 06:32 PM
Take the hub off and put A LOT of grease on the splines on the axle as well as inside the hub. Slip the hub back on and see if there is any front to back movement. If there is then use a little more grease until either the hub does not move, or you are convinced that it will not get any better. Make sure that the grease is getting down in the splines and not just on top of them. Tighten the bolt back as tight as you can and reinstall the pin. What the grease does is it keeps the metal of the axle from touching the metal of the hub so they can't wear on each other, it also fills in the gaps between the splines.

ajr400ex
07-29-2002, 05:25 PM
On my 300ex I used Silicone gasket material (RTV)on the splines before assembly when the hub starting getting a little loose on the splines. It worked really well. Don't remember where I got that tip from but it worked well.

eldoexrider01
07-29-2002, 08:29 PM
that happend to mine. i tightend it and it came loose. i got an impact gun and tightened it and i have had no problems

07-29-2002, 08:53 PM
the splines in your hub are wearing. I put teflon tape on the axle and tightend the crap out of mine and it hasn't came loose yet.