PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 400ex

Halter
03-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Ok, Just bought myself a 01 400ex... all it has done to it is a UNI air filter... ok

now my buddy also has a 400ex 04 and I he has a white bros e series I think...slip on.... now...I was thinking of buying it off his cause he is going to sell his...now would I have to do anything else to put this baby on and not hurt my motor and would it sound nice??

thanks...

underpowered
03-29-2006, 06:14 PM
if you put a pipe on it you will have to re-jet.
Sound is up to you. it will be louder, but personally i dont care for the sound of teh WB, but others like it.

Halter
03-29-2006, 06:18 PM
how hard is it to re jet it..and how much would that cost?

perley03
03-29-2006, 06:37 PM
dont buy a "jet kit" or a "power-up kit" just go to your honda dealer and get a set of main jets...it depends on your altitude, humidity, temperature....anyways just buy 3 or 4 main jets and put them in one by one until it starts to bog on top end...then go one size smaller.
as for changing...very simple. there is a big screw on the bowl of the carb...on the bottom. unscrew it and you have access to the main jets. i think you need a 6mm socket to take it out...then just replace with the bigger jet, put the big screw in, and start it up.
as for pilot jets, im not sure on this one. i've never changed mine in my ex it came with the add ons when i bought it. you may need to change this as well. also you might want to change the clip on the needle..raise it a notch and you should be golden.

400exstud
03-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Rejetting can be anywhere from $3 - $50 depending on your knowledge. If you know what your doing you can just buy the individual jets for around 3 bucks. Otherwise you can get a jet kit that has instructions and all of the other stuff.

Its relitively easy as long as you have patience.

Halter
03-29-2006, 06:48 PM
well thanks guys...I will look into it..I still gotta pay off dad for the wheeler soo I mihgt have to do all this in a couple of months...!!

400exstud
03-29-2006, 06:52 PM
If your buddy doesn't have any other mods you could ask him what he ran for jetting and that will get you in the general area. Just an idea.

Halter
03-29-2006, 07:07 PM
yeah I will ask him...oh and by the way guys..also..I am going to have to get some new rear tires here pretty soon..and I was wondering what all u guys run on your 400s

underpowered
03-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Holeshots and Razrs are popular tires, but it depends on what you paln to do with it. I am partial to the KEnda Knarly, but The Razr is not a bad tire either. I cannot stand the Holeshot XC's i have now though, they just dont hook up like i think they should.

Halter
03-29-2006, 07:11 PM
well I am going ot be mostly trail riding..wont race with it..just trail riding and going on the road from trail to trail!!

perley03
03-30-2006, 04:12 AM
holeshot xcr's work great...i just mostly trail ride and go pittin and they work great for what i do...i had the original holeshot and there sucked....i went with 20-11-9 on the rear

Halter
03-30-2006, 05:16 AM
ok guys thanks!