PDA

View Full Version : suspension help

400exrules
03-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Im tryin to learn about suspension, because im most likely going to get some new front shocks eventually because my stock front shocks are just beatin me up, and i hate them. Whats the difference in Dual rate and Triple rate? And i need to keep a narrow stance for extremely tight harescrambles, so would it be ok, or would it be a bad idea to keep my stock a-arms, and get elka standard travel shocks with rezzys?

thanks

redrunner
03-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Perfectly fine to keep the stockers and get better shocks. You can always upgrade the arms at stock width.

Dual rate and triple rate give you different levels of small bump absorbtion.
Most people will go with a ZPS conversion or style to set the machine lower for handling.

04TRX400EX
03-31-2006, 11:48 AM
A dual-rate spring has just that - two different rate springs that compress according to the conditions and how hard the impact is. A dual-rate spring has a large bottom spring, that is softest, that you use the majority of the time. The secondary spring is stiffer, so as to prevent the shock from bottoming out. A triple-rate spring, of which the majority of aftermarket shocks are, has two secondary springs, again with different rates, that allow a smoother transition between soft and firm, giving you a better ride overall, and better prevention against bottoming out.

Using stock a-arms should be fine. If you want something stronger, you can always upgrade to a better a-arm that is still stock length.

400exrules
03-31-2006, 01:50 PM
if i upgrade to a +1 a-arm, will my shocks still work?

400exstud
03-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Your stock shocks will work, but as you have previously stated you already hate them. With a +1 arm you are applying more leverage to the shock. This will make them even more soft than they are.

400exrules
03-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
Your stock shocks will work, but as you have previously stated you already hate them. With a +1 arm you are applying more leverage to the shock. This will make them even more soft than they are.

im sayin if i get elkas built for stock a-arms, and later down the road i decide i want +1 arms, will i need to get new elkas or what?

theTman
03-31-2006, 04:21 PM
you would have to get them revalved for +1 a arms

400exstud
03-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by theTman
you would have to get them revalved for +1 a arms

Correct.

400exrules, as you know having them revalved isn't cheap. IMO you are better off getting them valved once. If you get arms first and them shocks second, you save $200+ by not having them revalved.

400exrules
03-31-2006, 08:00 PM
idk, time will tell....im not sure if i will be able to get away with +1 at these harescrambles, im not kiddin when i say its tight. ill prob just keep stockers