PDA

View Full Version : decompression removal for hotcam please help

Honda4ooEX
07-28-2002, 03:52 PM
I just got done tearing down my motor to install my cam and piston 416 kit. I went ahead and removed everything stock cam and piston. I was told to take out the decompression spring and plunger in the head. I went ahead and did this for the installation of my new hot cam stage 2. Is there anything else that I need to take out for the new cam decompression wise? Do I need to take anything off the old cam and put it on the new cam? Any help would be great. This is my first tear down and its going pretty good.

07-28-2002, 04:37 PM
All you will need from the old cam is the timing chain sprocket and flange.

Be carefull when you remove it since the flange seems like it could brake easily. I would suggest not to put ANY pressure on the ears of the flange.

07-28-2002, 05:14 PM
As 440EX4me said, all you'll need from the stock cam is the sprocket, sprocket bolts, and the flange, everything else is for the decompression system and won't be needed. Also, the sprocket flange is easy to break if you aren't careful, so don't put any pressure on the ears where the sprockets bolts go in. If you aren't comfortable trying to get the flange off the stock cam, take it to an ATV shop that works on motors and they will remove the flange and install it on the new cam for you.

Since you said this is your first teardown I thought I'd remind you of something that many first timers forget when putting their 4-stroke back together. When you put the cam back in and you are about ready to reinstall the cam chain and sprocket, remember to hold tension on the cam chain through the cam chain tensioner hole. If you forget and install the cam chain and sprocket without holding tension on the cam chain, you will have it one or two teeth off and the timing will be out of whack. In the service manual for the 400 they somehow forget to mention that you must hold tension on the cam chain while reinstalling the cam chain and sprocket and getting the timing index lines aligned with the top of the head.

Honda4ooEX
07-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Should I just put the auto adjustment tensioner in first then install the cam and sprocket or just used a screw driver to push the chain guied against the chain? Thanks for all your help guys.

07-28-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Honda4ooEX
Should I just put the auto adjustment tensioner in first then install the cam and sprocket or just used a screw driver to push the chain guied against the chain? Thanks for all your help guys.

I just stick something through the tensioner hole to hold pressure on the cam chain. If your fingers are small enough yet long enough, you can just stick a finger through the tensioner hole and hold pressure on the chain.

After you get everything back together and get the chain tensioner put back in, just check to be sure that the cam sprocket index marks line up with the top of the head before you put the rocker box (cylinder head cover) back on.

JhallettEX
07-28-2002, 06:27 PM
DO NOT forget to take the pluger and spring out of the head as well. Dont want these floating around in your engine. When you press the flange back on make sure you line it up correctly, there should be to dots you have to line up before pressing it on.

Honda4ooEX
07-28-2002, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all your help guys sounds easy enough. Is the plunger and spring the only thing I need to take out of the head? Also I am thinking about a port and polish for my head will I have to buy new vavle seals or will my old ones still work after they have been removed for the port and polish? Is the port and polish worth the money? Thanks again

07-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Honda4ooEX
Also I am thinking about a port and polish for my head will I have to buy new vavle seals or will my old ones still work after they have been removed for the port and polish? Is the port and polish worth the money? Thanks again

I would replace the valve seals most definitly,,there only like $2 a peice and get the head ported too..:D

Hotdog
04-25-2003, 01:43 AM
I just put the Decompression device on my hot cam. I noticed that there is a piece that looks sumwhat like a Lobe. But it seems to be really loose and can rotate around. The stock cam had a pin to prevent this. Is it ok?

UglyMotha™
04-25-2003, 01:48 AM
uh, it says in the drections that came in the box that you are not to install the compression release mechinism on to the hot cam just the sproket flange so take it back off you don't need it