PDA

View Full Version : more horsepower and faster

400exridr
03-29-2006, 01:10 PM
What is the best thing to do to make my 400ex have more horse power. I want to notice it. dont want to spend more than $400

underpowered
03-29-2006, 01:12 PM
SEARCH!!!!!!!!

Probably a Pipe. will give you a noticable power gain, but you wont go any faster.

400exridr
03-29-2006, 01:23 PM
is the yoshimura slip on and new filter and jets good. is a big bore kit 460cc worth it if the engine is new

CHEVYZ
03-29-2006, 01:27 PM
The yoshi set-up should do well.
However, the 460 is much more than I would consdier if you don't even have a pipe and whatnot yet. A well set-up 416 will do well if you want to go big bore. The reliability will still be there, and the power difference is really noticable. How much are you willing to spend, or is $400.00 you max for all componets?

400exridr
03-29-2006, 01:31 PM
so just start out with a pipe, filter and jets. with is better the pro-circuit t-4 or the yoshimura rs-3 comp series complete system or just slip on

hondamanex400
03-29-2006, 02:01 PM
My Yoshi Full RS-3 Comp series was $360 shipped, + K&N filter..$35, + DynoJet Kit..$45, + Outerwears pre filter for K&N..$10, + Uni airbox jets..$7 = $457. It really opens it up a lot, and is worth every penny. I also put a 416 kit that also helps the power out a bit. So Id get the pipe and such before a bore job.

oh yea, i got my pipe from Motosport.com, and my other stuff from Rocky Mt ATV i believe

CHEVYZ
03-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Personally, I think the Yoshi exhaust is better. I have used neither though. The Yoshi makes slightly more horsepower according to aa atvsport dyno. The Yoshi made 26.7 max power compared to the Pro Circuit's 26.1. The Pro circuit seems to have more bottom end though... but like I said, I have used neither to give truly accurate results. I also like the HMF exhaust... just something to consider. Good price and power gains.

redracer10
03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
If you want the exhaust you should go with a Curtis Sparks full system, and Pro Design air filter. The 460cc big bore will add power but you better have some money stashed away for maintenece work as well, I have a 440, stage 2 hot cams, 14:1 piston and my 440 is in the shop a ton rather its just engine work needed to be adjusted or burnt clutches with a 460 you will burn even the best clutches avalible at least once a year porbably 2 or 3 times. If i were you I go with the Curtis Sparks full system, Pro Design air filter, Curtis Sparks Degree key you will look at 11-15 horsepower with that and a K&N Xstream Powelid also is good to give you a 2-3 horsepower increase.

redracer10
03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
If you want the exhaust you should go with a Curtis Sparks full system, and Pro Design air filter. The 460cc big bore will add power but you better have some money stashed away for maintenece work as well, I have a 440, stage 2 hot cams, 14:1 piston and my 440 is in the shop a ton rather its just engine work needed to be adjusted or burnt clutches with a 460 you will burn even the best clutches avalible at least once a year porbably 2 or 3 times. If i were you I go with the Curtis Sparks full system, Pro Design air filter, Curtis Sparks Degree key you will look at 17 horsepower with that and a K&N Xstream Powelid also is good to give you a 2-3 horsepower increase.

You will also pay just 900.00 for that list!!!

-Complete Curtis Sparks exhaust-$620.00
-Pro Design air filter kit-$109.00
-Curtis Sparks Degree key-$12.00
-K&N Xstream Powelid-$99.95

That is all about 900.00 with tax and shipping.... and trust me you will feel the power increase I have all of those on my 440EX and I rode it right before I put it on and right after I put it on and It rides like a Champion The Curtis Sparks is by far the best pipe for a 400EX and 600.00 complete system is almost a steal for 8-11 horsepower...with all of these items you will look at about..17 horsepower... You can definitley feel 17 horsepower and you will be keeping up with the stock 450's

440bigborekit
03-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by redracer10
If you want the exhaust you should go with a Curtis Sparks full system, and Pro Design air filter. The 460cc big bore will add power but you better have some money stashed away for maintenece work as well, I have a 440, stage 2 hot cams, 14:1 piston and my 440 is in the shop a ton rather its just engine work needed to be adjusted or burnt clutches with a 460 you will burn even the best clutches avalible at least once a year porbably 2 or 3 times. If i were you I go with the Curtis Sparks full system, Pro Design air filter, Curtis Sparks Degree key you will look at 17 horsepower with that and a K&N Xstream Powelid also is good to give you a 2-3 horsepower increase.

That is all about 900.00 with tax and shipping.... and trust me you will feel the power increase I have all of those on my 440EX and I rode it right before I put it on and right after I put it on and It rides like a Champion The Curtis Sparks is by far the best pipe for a 400EX and 600.00 complete system is almost a steal for 8-11 horsepower...with all of these items you will look at about..17 horsepower... You can definitley feel 17 horsepower and you will be keeping up with the stock 450's

umm 17.............horse power i find that hard to believe man sorry....stock a 400ex has 27hp to the wheels....and after a c.s pipe, lid, key ,and jets your saying its gonna have 43-44 hp...sorry man thars not gonna happen with out any internals mabie 43-hp at the crank but deff. not to the wheels....and dont think im trying to be a dick but that info just aint right srry

redracer10
03-29-2006, 04:16 PM
umm 17.............horse power i find that hard to believe man sorry....stock a 400ex has 27hp to the wheels....and after a c.s pipe, lid, key ,and jets your saying its gonna have 43-44 hp...sorry man thars not gonna happen with out any internals mabie 43-hp at the crank but deff. not to the wheels....and dont think im trying to be a dick but that info just aint right srry

-Curtis Sparks full system- 8-11 horsepower increase.
-Pro Design air filter kit- 1-2 horsepower
-Curtis Sparks degree key- 2-3 horsepower
-K&N Nstream Powerlid- 2-3 horsepower

10+2+2+3= Well that is 17... well geeze i guess i do know my stuff...

440bigborekit
03-29-2006, 04:39 PM
i said at the crank you might be right but its deff not 44 hp to the wheels...........your wrongggggggggg

CHEVYZ
03-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Curtis Sparks is probably the best.. or at least one of the best if you can afford it. You are retarded though if you think the above mentioned gains are possible... I am speaking at the rear wheels though. According to my magazines dyno, the Sparks exhaust pulled 27.8 HP over the stock 25.9. Good gains for exhaust, and the best max power of all the pipes tested. If you are just looking for an improvement though, the pipes that you mentioned ( 400exridr) will do just fine.

400exridr
03-29-2006, 04:56 PM
so wut are those things wut about jet
i dont feel like spending 900 dollars cause i still have to pay off the quad
is that pipe that much better than the yoshimura

CHEVYZ
03-29-2006, 05:03 PM
As far as that much better.... yes! Is it nessesary... no. If you are just looking to have fun, there are much better ways to spend $900.00. Jet kit is necessary... the dyno jet kit works well. It is really up to you... personally, I would rather spend my money on a different exhaust rather than Sparks and use the money saved to buy other parts.... for example, a piston, cam, ect.

redracer10
03-29-2006, 05:03 PM
i said at the crank you might be right but its deff not 44 hp to the wheels...........your wrongggggggggg

When did i say 44 hp to the wheels its just a 17 horsepower overall gain is what i said....so you are g*****yyyyyyy

400exridr
03-29-2006, 05:06 PM
k sparks is to expencive . is the next best pipe the yoshimura rs-3 comp series complete sytem? and if u get a 416 kit is there a lot of engine work

jordan_m6
03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
pipe, air filter, cdi, hi comp piston or hi comp big bore piston, cam, carb., what ever you want. all under $400.

know what brands is all on what you prefer

CHEVYZ
03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
You guys need to stop arguing on numbers. They mean nothing if it isn't putting it down on the quad.... at this point.. it doesn't even matter. Let it go.:ermm:

CHEVYZ
03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 400exridr
k sparks is to expencive . is the next best pipe the yoshimura rs-3 comp series complete sytem? and if u get a 416 kit is there a lot of engine work Yoshi is an OK pipe if you aren't looking for much. It isn't anywhere near one of the best. Personally, I think the HMF is one of the best bang for the buck exhausts out there.;)

CHEVYZ
03-29-2006, 05:13 PM
k sparks is to expencive . is the next best pipe the yoshimura rs-3 comp series complete sytem? and if u get a 416 kit is there a lot of engine work The 416 will only work best when accompanied with other componets like exhaust, airfilter, cam, ect. Start off with what you are aiming for now.. exhaust and other smaller componets.. and when you get some cash put it into the engine with stuff like that. The 416 performs well with great reliability. It would probably be your best bet if you want a big bore in the future and are still looking to have a decently reliable quad. Sorry to say.. big bores can be a pain. They really are not necessary at this point.

400exridr
03-29-2006, 05:18 PM
so just stick with the pipe filter jets and outwear first. and is there any difference after that.

CHEVYZ
03-29-2006, 05:22 PM
YEP! Stock is very resticted. With those mods your bike will sound better and have a much more torquey feel. As said, top-speed will not be affected by it, but you will be able to get there much harder and quicker. With just those mods I had great luck for years.:D

underpowered
03-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by redracer10 -Curtis Sparks full system- 8-11 horsepower increase.
-Pro Design air filter kit- 1-2 horsepower
-Curtis Sparks degree key- 2-3 horsepower
-K&N Nstream Powerlid- 2-3 horsepower

10+2+2+3= Well that is 17... well geeze i guess i do know my stuff...

Whoaa. Not a chance you will see that kind of gain. 11HP from a pipe, no way. Have you ever looked at our DYNO section? i 416, with a good pipe, cam, filter, and a few other things may see about 35 at the wheels, only an 8 HP gain over stock with much more mods than a few bolt ons. I think you need to take a look at your number buddy. do you have nay idea what it actually takes to get another 17 ponies out of a 400ex?
Good Pipe: maybe 2-4 HP
FIlter:1, possibly 2
Degree key: .5-1 if that
Power lid: 0-.5

With that maybe overall about a 4-5 HP gain, and that it being generous.

underpowered
03-29-2006, 05:33 PM
so just stick with the pipe filter jets and outwear first. and is there any difference after that.

yes, a good pipe and filter, properly jetter will give you a decent gain in power. You uwill definitally be able to tell a difference when riding it.

04'400ex'er
03-29-2006, 05:44 PM

That is all about 900.00 with tax and shipping.... and trust me you will feel the power increase I have all of those on my 440EX and I rode it right before I put it on and right after I put it on and It rides like a Champion The Curtis Sparks is by far the best pipe for a 400EX and 600.00 complete system is almost a steal for 8-11 horsepower...with all of these items you will look at about..17 horsepower... You can definitley feel 17 horsepower and you will be keeping up with the stock 450's [/B][/QUOTE]

You are an absolute IDIOT!!!!!
Sparks pipe - $500
Pro Design Filter - $65
And If a piped ex would keep up with a 450 why would we all be selling out?????
Pipes add maybe 3 hp not your 11. This is a completely ignorant post.
Do not post when you dont have a clue what you are talking about. :rolleyes: :eek2:

redracer10
03-29-2006, 05:56 PM
04'400ex'er

This is to you Mr. I know everything but am about to get put in my place.!!! I will give you sites to look at prices and I want you to copy and paste every sites price...

-Curtis Sparks full system- www.kdcycle.com
-Pro Design Filter kit- www.motosport.com

Now go on the sites and tell me the prices so before you accuse me of being wrong how about you know your ****in prices.

ww228king
03-29-2006, 05:59 PM
get somebody who has bought a jet kit....they only used one jet out of 7 jets in one pack. they will prolly give it to you for free..use a 160 or 165 take you air filter lid off and buy a used pipe like a pro circuit t4 or almost just any aftermarket pipe prolly for about $100 or so... and your 400ex will notice some wheely riding fun compared to your stocker.....trust me i gave all this stuff to my bro ....used pipe and a 160 jet took lid off and wow ....lot of difference....i wouldnt buy a cdi box....a biggg waste for a stocker 400ex .....stock 400ex stops making power after 8000 rpm and after that you are just killing your engine....do a bore job and then add a cdi box ...but anyway if i am wrong on any of this just let me know....lol ....i know you guys will...

redracer10
03-29-2006, 06:01 PM

Are you on drugs?? Im talkin overall horsepower here. OVERALL do you by any chance have atleast a High School education and know what overall horsepower means?? go to rockymountainatv and click on even Yoshimura Complete Tri-Oval system and that gives you a OVERALL HORSEPOWER gain of 7-9 horsepower.. Its sad we have people who dont know a lick about something but they think they do on this forum site... good job boys good job i think they only person who knows about atv's on here is CHEVYZ.

underpowered
03-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Are you on drugs?? Im talkin overall horsepower here. OVERALL do you by any chance have atleast a High School education and know what overall horsepower means?? go to rockymountainatv and click on even Yoshimura Complete Tri-Oval system and that gives you a OVERALL HORSEPOWER gain of 7-9 horsepower.. Its sad we have people who dont know a lick about something but they think they do on this forum site... good job boys good job i think they only person who knows about atv's on here is CHEVYZ.

Yeah. I am also Talking OVERALL. What you will see at the Crankshaft. On average, you lose about 20% of horsepower and torque through the driveline. So, OVERALL if you see your 10HP gain from a pipe, will will still see 8HP of that at the Wheels. A pipe will give you 2-4 at teh wheels, meaning you will only see and OVERALL gain of ~2.5-5 at the CS. Plus numbers arent everything, is is how it is put to the ground. you can have all the HP in the world, but if you cant get it to the ground effectively, it is useless. Just quit talking before you hand out more wrong info.

ww228king
03-29-2006, 06:09 PM
just check out a dyno test guys......people can say (UP TO any hp gain to sale something) ....i dont know alot , but i do know that you cant judge a quad about the hp at crank ....you judge a quad at the wheels ....isnt that what you race with , your wheels...lol ....it would be funny to see a butch of 50hp crankshafts running around the track...lol....

440bigborekit
03-29-2006, 06:57 PM
hey redracer10 are your thumbs dirty??????

redracer10
03-29-2006, 07:01 PM
hey redracer10 are your thumbs dirty??????

haha nice one... that was actually pretty gay

jeremy_283
03-30-2006, 12:55 PM
i have a full yoshimura pipe and it probably gives less low end then other aftermarket pipes if you dont have your head ported.........compared to other aftermarket pipes the yoshi's header is much bigger and prolly needs the porting to help match the diameter of the pipe.............. some one that knows about porting may need to correct wat i just said dont listen to me just wait to see wat the reponse to my response is gunna be .......... and also i dont know about my pipe totally yet becuz i just discovered i got a tooth on my front sprocket missing and half on my rear are gone........ " i was washin my quad and thought to myself.... hey that 1 tooth on this rear sprocket is taller then all the other teeth............ wait, oh crap those other teeth are all shorter than that one tooth

400exstud
03-30-2006, 07:01 PM

Sorry to say it but you are wrong. I know.... I know it hurts but except it and move on.

You don't even have a high school education;)

What exactly is OVERALL horsepower? Do you mean peak hp?

Take a look at the dyno section. There are quads in there, 440s for that matter, with all of the mods that you mentioned and they arn't pushing over 40 hp.