PDA

View Full Version : Elkas on the way

adinocr7
03-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey all. Thanks again for everyone who helped me pick out the right shocks for my ride. Well I spent the almost $1400.00 yesterday and have a new set of Elka Rec series for the front (Part# E36), and the Sport Racing Remote Rezzies shock for the rear (Part# RR46CR) on their way. I decided to get them right from Elka, as there doesn't seem to be any breaks on price what so ever no matter where you purchase them from . . . I do get a T-Shirt and Shock Covers though : 0

Like most of us I beat the snot out of my machine and for the most part I am either WOT or hard on the breaks. I figured there was just "trail" and "MX" type of setup. I was pleased to find out however that they can do a "Cross Country" setup . . . dialed in for both aggressive trail riding and occasionally hitting the track as well.

For almost $1400.00 I'm really interested in seeing just "how much" better this thing is gonna ride. I will be sure to post the results once I get these bad boys installed.

400exrider707
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
You wont be disappointed!;)

KingpinsEx
03-29-2006, 08:26 PM
I am very interested in how this setup works out for you. I am looking into getting a similar shocks. Could you be more specific of what they are, rezzies rebound, comp? Standard arms, ect.
I think you made a good choice...

400exrules
03-29-2006, 09:06 PM
cool, im thinking about getting some elkas one day when i get the money, for my harescramble racing..........my stock shocks are just pissin me off. Are you goin with standard arms, long travel, stock arms?

adinocr7
03-30-2006, 10:55 AM
My quad is pretty much stock except for whats stated in my signature. I had a little under $1500.00 put aside for riding.

I put together packages such as A-Arms and different suspension setups from "Works" or doing a rebuild on my stock "rear" shock. Don't get me wrong, "Works Suspension" makes good shocks and having a reputable speed shop do a rebuild on your back shock will definetely make your ride a lot sweeter.

The thing is though, I wanted to do this once and do it right, which is why I went with the Elkas. I like to hit the trails, and like most of you I'm either WOT or breaking hard so my machine definetely takes a beating. I occasionally like to hit the track for fun too so in both circumstances being "lower" would be a plus.

For guys like me who are on a budget here are some pros to purchasing the Rec' Series for the front:

- they are only around $465 - $485
- they are the "same" shock as the sport/racing series just w/out
the adjustments
- you can always add the Rezzies' down the road
- adjustable sag (basically you can lower a stock ride 2.75 inches)

The back shock is pricey at around $875.00 for the sport/racing with the Remote rezzie. If this is a little out of range for the time being you're still in luck. For anywhere between $250 to $350 there are a lot of places who will do a complete rebuild on the rear. Check out: (http://hygearsuspension.com). These guys are great and are usually under $300.00 for a rear rebuild . . . I'm talking valves, seals, springs . . . etc. They can get the rear to sit lower as well to match up with the front setup as well. Two more weeks and I should have them delivered, installed and ready to rip.

Here are the part numbers for my setup:

Elka Fronts / Rec Series: Part# E36
Ekla Rear Sport/Racing : Part# RR46CR

http://www.elkasuspension.com/atv.html

400exrules
03-30-2006, 02:40 PM
when i order some, im prob gonna get the sport & racing series with standard travel. Im probably going to use my stock a-arms because i run very tight harescrambles, but if i decide to get like, +1 a-arms later on down the road, can i still use this same shock?

adinocr7
03-31-2006, 07:02 AM
400exrules:

400exrules:

I would say that with +1 a-arms you should be ok with the exception of having to adjust the shock to compensate for the increased load. It could be a matter of simply adjusting the pre-load or fitting the shock with a stiffer spring. Definetely talk to a good knowlegable rep when you order the shocks.

Anyone else with an opinion on this?

adinocr7
04-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Recieved the shocks this past Monday. I have to say I was impressed right from when I opened the boxes. The build quality of the Elkas is truly a work of art. They look even better up close then what you see in a picture.

I installed front and back last night. Installation was a piece of cake (thanks to a good friend w/ all the right tools and skills . . . . D O G G). For the rear I took off the two stock skid plates on the rear swing arm. Then I removed the plastic around the gas tank (just on the left side of the machine). The hose is steel braided insulated by rubber tubing. I took it up a notch (actually got lucky) and found some plastic form fitting tubing to slip around the hose for extra protection. This was important because I routed the hose under the plastic next to the tank, so I have no worries about the hose getting getting any excessive ware. The fronts are pretty much out with the old and in with the new. The machine sits almost three inches lower in the rear and I adjusted the preload in the front to be around 1/4 higher then the rear.

Can't wait to take this thing out for a rip. Hoping this Sunday I can get some saddle time in to do some testing and tuning.

04-05-2006, 08:13 AM
you will love it :macho

adinocr7
04-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Yurik:

Props to you man. Most of us are probably stuck in the rat race of the 9 to 5 job and ride for fun. But deep down we all dream of doing what you've already accomplished . . . taking it to the next level. Just looking at your sponsers I can't imagine how much saddle time you've had to put in. Keep ripping it out there man. Because when the bills start coming in, the girlfriend kicks an attitude or life seems rough, we're all just a kick start and stab of the throttle away from leaving it all behind!

400exrules
04-05-2006, 09:15 PM
whats the main difference in the elka rec and elka sport/race series? let me know how much a difference it is, i want to get some elkas some day

Sjorge450R
04-06-2006, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
whats the main difference in the elka rec and elka sport/race series? let me know how much a difference it is, i want to get some elkas some day

the rec series dont have the ressies.

adinocr7
04-06-2006, 06:22 AM
400exrules:

You can purchase the Elka Recreational Series (Front only) with or without the rezzies. They're around $475 w/out and $775 w/rezzies. If you plan on getting them with the rezzies I'd recommend spending the extra $100 or so and getting the Sport/Racing Series. Here are the differences in the front Elka shocks:

Rec series: adjustable preload / sag
Sport/Racing: adjustable preload / sag / rebound / compression
Elite Series: adjustable preload / sag / rebound / (High and Low speed) compression

Hope this helps. You may want to check out Elkasuspension.com You can download a brochure (.pdf format) and it gives you a breakdown of everything you would want to know.

400exrules
04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by adinocr7
400exrules:

You can purchase the Elka Recreational Series (Front only) with or without the rezzies. They're around $475 w/out and $775 w/rezzies. If you plan on getting them with the rezzies I'd recommend spending the extra $100 or so and getting the Sport/Racing Series. Here are the differences in the front Elka shocks:

Rec series: adjustable preload / sag
Sport/Racing: adjustable preload / sag / rebound / compression
Elite Series: adjustable preload / sag / rebound / (High and Low speed) compression

Hope this helps. You may want to check out Elkasuspension.com You can download a brochure (.pdf format) and it gives you a breakdown of everything you would want to know.

do those adjustments come standard with each series or do you have to pay extra to get all of them? Like, when you order a set of sport/racing, do you get all 4 of those, or do you have to pay extra if you want to be able to adjust more things on them? I was pricing elkas on some website (forgot what it was) and it didnt specify rec, sport, or elite....it just said preloud, sag, comp, etc and the price went up with each extra adjustment...and thats why i was wondering

400exstud
04-06-2006, 02:51 PM
You have to may more for each adjustment. Front with comp. adjustable are like $900 whereas, ones with comp. and rebound are just under $1100.

PS: Can't you get the $465 recs without the rezzy and later add one WITH compression adjustible? This would essentially make it a sport series shock. I don't think that there is a difference between the series's besides the kinds of adjustments.

Someone help me out.

400exrules
04-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
You have to may more for each adjustment. Front with comp. adjustable are like $900 whereas, ones with comp. and rebound are just under $1100.

PS: Can't you get the $465 recs without the rezzy and later add one WITH compression adjustible? This would essentially make it a sport series shock. I don't think that there is a difference between the series's besides the kinds of adjustments.

Someone help me out.

i read the website and i think the springs are alittle different:confused:

400exstud
04-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Oh, I though everything was the same. I guess not.

250-R-250
04-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Yes, you can add the ressies to the elka recs, I think its around 300 to do..

04-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by adinocr7
Yurik:

Props to you man. Most of us are probably stuck in the rat race of the 9 to 5 job and ride for fun. But deep down we all dream of doing what you've already accomplished . . . taking it to the next level. Just looking at your sponsers I can't imagine how much saddle time you've had to put in. Keep ripping it out there man. Because when the bills start coming in, the girlfriend kicks an attitude or life seems rough, we're all just a kick start and stab of the throttle away from leaving it all behind!

well thx man, but im only 17, and go to school and work part time like the rest of you, ive put in a lot of time and effort to get where i am, nothing comes automatically, its all done with effort and work :macho

just remember that and you will be able to do anything you dream of

KingpinsEx
04-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Any pics of these shocks mounted?

adinocr7
04-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Finally got to ride this past Sunday. All I have to say is these things are truly amazing. First off when you're just cruising they soak up "everything". But what was noticable among everything else (again they were set up for Cross Country) is that the faster I went the better they got. There was the one section of trail where we ride in Cohocton that goes for about an 1/8 of a mile. I wouldn't say its whooped out, but its very uneven and bumpy. Great trail to seperate the men from the boys . . . off camber turns, a few small ditches . . . I was pretty much WOT in 4th for most of the trail. With the stock supsension I used to take a serious beating and would have to back off quite a bit. With the new Elkas I can literally stay seated the entire way with the throttle pegged.

I'll be honest I think $1400.00 is a little steep. But overall I am extremely satisfied and will say that these shocks superceeded my expectations.

I'm heading to Majestic Trails in PA at the end of the month. Seriously sick trails . . . all intermediate to advanced. That will be a pretty sweet test.