PDA

View Full Version : Rear link clearance?

BLEEDRED
03-29-2006, 06:46 AM
I just set up my suspenstion with the GT thunder XC rear link and am trying to install my swingarm skid. I spaced it out a little with washers with no problems. It looks to me that the link is in it's lowest postion when the bike has no weight on it. When I put weight on the bike the link moves away from the skid...?

My question is this: If the skid has proper clearance when there is no weight on the bike, will it be ok when riding. Thanks in advance!!

03-29-2006, 09:14 AM
if you are using the stock swingarm skid then just cut it and dont use any spacers;)

BLEEDRED
03-29-2006, 09:23 AM
I don't want to cut it. :grr: Spacers seem fine as long as someone can answer my question!

BLEEDRED
03-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Oh, sorry. It's a pro armor swinger skid...thick beautiful aluminum...don't want to cut it.

03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
Oh, sorry. It's a pro armor swinger skid...thick beautiful aluminum...don't want to cut it. yah thats why i said a STOCK skidplate because that is plastic and not very expensive but I wouldnt cut a metal skidplate either. I dont know the answer to your question sorry

Chino886
03-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
I just set up my suspenstion with the GT thunder XC rear link and am trying to install my swingarm skid. I spaced it out a little with washers with no problems. It looks to me that the link is in it's lowest postion when the bike has no weight on it. When I put weight on the bike the link moves away from the skid...?

My question is this: If the skid has proper clearance when there is no weight on the bike, will it be ok when riding. Thanks in advance!!

I am guessing the if you get on the bike and have a friend compress (push down on the rear) the shock, you will see if it has enough clearance. Laz suggests cutting the skid plate according to his website. Try it out and post the result.

GOOD LUCK!

BLEEDRED
04-12-2006, 05:54 AM
The result is spacing the skid about a half inch works fine.

If the skid has proper clearance when there is no weight on the bike, will it be ok when riding.

To answer my own question. YES.

MR.BIG
04-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Did you shim just the front of the skidplate?

BLEEDRED
04-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Shim whatever it takes to get your clearance. I shimmed the front and middle set of holes. The back set of holes bolted right up. I did have to get longer bolts for the first set of holes. Good luck.