PDA

View Full Version : My 400 won't start...what should i check

yellow400
07-28-2002, 01:10 PM
My 400 wont start what should i check????

Thanks

brian400ex
07-28-2002, 01:13 PM
Check your spark plug first. Make sure it is not fouled. Make sure it has spark. Then make sure it is getting gas.

yellow400
07-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by brian400ex
Check your spark plug first. Make sure it is not fouled. Make sure it has spark. Then make sure it is getting gas.

what do you mean make sure it's getting gas

brian400ex
07-28-2002, 01:22 PM
Make sure you are not out of gas or fuel line plugged.

One_Bad_400
07-28-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by yellow400
My 400 wont start what should i check????

Thanks

what exactly is happening, will the engine not start, or will the starter not turn???

if it's the engine.....be sure the switch by your left thumb is in the correct position, second check to be sure the engine is getting gas, third check the spark plug, and when you try to start it, use the choke.

if it's the starter.....be sure battery is charged and check to see if all the wires are tight

07-28-2002, 04:49 PM
Well, it would help a lot more if you described exactly what it is doing and/or not doing. Such as: motor cranks but does start or the motor doesn't crank at all. But I'll go thru the basics anyway.

Check to be sure the engine stop switch is in the correct position and maybe move it back and forth a couple times. Be sure there is gas in the tank and the fuel petcock is turned on (sometimes it's the simple things that will get you). If it won't crank, try push starting it. Try different choke positions to see if it will start, but don't pump the throttle much or you will flood it. Check your battery cables, they come loose all the time on most 400s. Check to be sure that your spark plug wire is on the plug good. Check the fuse, it's on the left side (chain side) to the left of the battery and down by the starter relay switch. Check all major electrical connections (coil, CDI, etc). If you are running a tether kill switch, check the connections where it was installed (and be sure the tether cord is actually connected to the switch). Also, I have seen kill switches that were defective right out of the box, so if you just installed it, that might be the case. Check to see if the motor is getting fuel. Check to see if it is getting "fire" (electrical current) to the spark plug. That is pretty much the basics (what I can think of right now anyway) but other things can make it hard to start. Incorrect valve clearances, a clogged air filter, and low compression can also make starting difficult.

honda400exrider
07-28-2002, 09:28 PM
check the fuse and the wiring

ryanh250ex
07-28-2002, 09:29 PM
make sure the kill switch is in the off position. I almost lost my nerve once when i tried to start my 250ex and the reason why it wouldnt start was because of the kill switch was on.