PDA

View Full Version : My quad doesent feel rite..

1fst400
03-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I just got my 400ex together. It is set up with pep zps front shocks ( standard travel) with houser +2 a-arms. then out back a stock shock revalved and zps. also have 50" rear wheel base.

But my quad for some reason just doesnt feel right, like there is somthing Major making it imposible to get a good rythem going. I was having troble shifting so moved up the shifter a notch, that made a world of a difrence on my lap times. but somthing still isnt right.
My only guess is that I smashed my steering stabilizer Just before I tore the whole quad doun, mabie that is it.:confused:

Basically it feels like I could go around the mx track faster on a Lt-80. somthing def isnt right.

I tried stifening up the front shocks, Because someone told me they are way to low. Tried that, made things worse.

Plz help.

Oh,, just remembered. I bent my stock subframe, so I fabed one up for temporary use. Just till I get the cash to buy a new one. It isnt 100% true, could this be it??? doesent seem like it does anything but hold the exaust, batery and seat. can seat height play this major of a roll?

400exrider707
03-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Kind of hard to give an answer to this, you really didn't give a whole lot to go on. We cant really tell what your feeling? From the looks of your pic your front end is either too low or your rear end is too high, maybe its just me, or maybe its cause it doesn't have a rider on it, but did you setup your ride height?:confused:

1fst400
03-28-2006, 08:07 PM
No, I havent event touched the rear shocks scence I bought it off ebay. From a member on this site.

How do I go about doing that?

400exrider707
03-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Sit on the quad and have a buddy measure your height. For the front measure right before the front of the frame starts angling up by the lower a-arm mounts. The rear should be measured right below the footpeg area. The front should sit about 1/4" to 1/2" higher. Depending on what kind of riding you do the height will matter. For MX type stuff I usually run about 8" at the rear and 8 1/4" at the front point. For XC and other stuff it will be a little higher. Dont forget to do it while your ON the quad, so have a buddy handy.

fandl450r
03-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Sit on the quad and have a buddy measure your height. For the front measure right before the front of the frame starts angling up by the lower a-arm mounts. The rear should be measured right below the footpeg area. The front should sit about 1/4" to 1/2" higher. Depending on what kind of riding you do the height will matter. For MX type stuff I usually run about 8" at the rear and 8 1/4" at the front point. For XC and other stuff it will be a little higher. Dont forget to do it while your ON the quad, so have a buddy handy.

I definitely agree with his, I run a slightly lower ride height 7" in the rear and 7 1/2" in the front. It creates a lower center of gravity so it isn't as tippy. Works great on most MX tracks. On softer styler tracks I usually raise everything 1/2" and keep it at 7" for hard packed. Hope this helps.

NacsMXer
03-29-2006, 05:48 AM
From the pic, the front looks kind of low and the rear looks kind of high. To adjust the ZPS rear, get yourself a brass punch and a hammer. Loosen the top collar on the preload ring of the rear shock by hitting it with the punch and hammer. Once it is knocked loose, you can use the punch again to adjust the lower preload collar by tightening it down clockwise, this should lower the ride height. Don't forget to lock down the top collar with the punch when you're finished.

400exrider707
03-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
From the pic, the front looks kind of low and the rear looks kind of high. To adjust the ZPS rear, get yourself a brass punch and a hammer. Loosen the top collar on the preload ring of the rear shock by hitting it with the punch and hammer. Once it is knocked loose, you can use the punch again to adjust the lower preload collar by tightening it down clockwise, this should lower the ride height. Don't forget to lock down the top collar with the punch when you're finished.

Tightening the spring will raise the rear end more:huh

Also it looks higher in the pic, but there is also no rider on it right now. It might change a bit when he sits on it, but either way Im guessing its still too high. Try this first and go from there.

400exrider707
03-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
I definitely agree with his, I run a slightly lower ride height 7" in the rear and 7 1/2" in the front. It creates a lower center of gravity so it isn't as tippy. Works great on most MX tracks. On softer styler tracks I usually raise everything 1/2" and keep it at 7" for hard packed. Hope this helps.

Yeah I tried that for a while on my EX and it seemed just a hair too low, it was running through the travel of the shock too quick, I went up to 8 or so and it was much better jumping. On my 450, I run about 7 like you said though.

NacsMXer
03-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Tightening the spring will raise the rear end more:huh

Also it looks higher in the pic, but there is also no rider on it right now. It might change a bit when he sits on it, but either way Im guessing its still too high. Try this first and go from there.

Yeah I got it mixed up, it's been a while since I adjusted mine. When you do adjust it though, it's pretty apparent which way to tighten/loosen it to raise or lower the ride height, thanks for catching that and correcting me. I was thinking the ZPS was the opposite of adjusting the preload on a normal shock for some reason :rolleyes:

400exrider707
03-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Yeah I got it mixed up, it's been a while since I adjusted mine. When you do adjust it though, it's pretty apparent which way to tighten/loosen it to raise or lower the ride height, thanks for catching that and correcting me. I was thinking the ZPS was the opposite of adjusting the preload on a normal shock for some reason :rolleyes:

Thats cool, we all make mistakes;)

PM'ed you with some questions too.

Flynbryan19
03-29-2006, 01:22 PM
It'll be harder to get the rear lower than the front too because you have 20" front tires and 20" rear tires...... The fronts are mx tires and the rears are xc tires. Getting mx tires for the rear will help the height too. ;)

1fst400
03-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
It'll be harder to get the rear lower than the front too because you have 20" front tires and 20" rear tires...... The fronts are mx tires and the rears are xc tires. Getting mx tires for the rear will help the height too. ;)

Ya, I got some 18" rear kendas on douglas beadlocks. Just waiting till closer to racing to break them out.

Is 71/2 inchesgood for 18" rear tires and 20" fronts?

thanks for the help, Im shure it will make a world of a difrence.

Also, anyone know what setting my compresion and rebound should be set at on my rear shock? I dono where it is even. I just got it and threw it on.:eek: , how will I know what needs to be changed.

400exrider707
03-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
Ya, I got some 18" rear kendas on douglas beadlocks. Just waiting till closer to racing to break them out.

Is 71/2 inchesgood for 18" rear tires and 20" fronts?

thanks for the help, Im shure it will make a world of a difrence.

Also, anyone know what setting my compresion and rebound should be set at on my rear shock? I dono where it is even. I just got it and threw it on.:eek: , how will I know what needs to be changed.

You'll have to ride it and try it out, some people adjust the compression and rebound for every track, or different riding area.