PDA

View Full Version : Stop grips from moving

hrc
03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
1)Get some pvc glue or a good all purpose cement. ( If it does not have a swab for spreading the glue a q tip will work) 2)Spread it all along the inside of the grips.3) Slide the gip on the bars let is sit over night. 4) Wrap safety wire around both ends of the grips and the middle. Use vice grips to twist it tight or a safety wire tool. 5) Cut about 3/4 of the twisted part off. 6) Bend the rest of the twisted part up in to the grip use a hammer to counter sink it so that you dont not catch your glove on it.

03-28-2006, 08:08 PM
I also found that a little bit of gas works really good too. I put a little bit of gas on my grips on my Lakota, and I wanted to switch the new bars I got for it to my YFZ but I couldn't because there was no way I was getting those grips off.

BlasterEaten250
03-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Spray paint also works good. And rc car tire glue. Ahhh....the useless facts I know:p

400exrules
03-28-2006, 08:22 PM
ive heard to wrap your handle bar with scotch tape, and pour rubbing alcohol on it then put your grips on....and the rubbing alcohol will erode the tape or somethin, and just leave the glue from the tape, and it will hold your grips

awsomeaussies
03-28-2006, 08:32 PM
3M Weather Strip Adhesive works the best:devil: I've tried a lot of different methods and I guarentee your grips wont move:D

Pappy
03-28-2006, 08:35 PM
One thing you all need to keep in mind when grips are concerned, they are all NOT created equally. Using a glue that is not compatable with the grip material can lead to big problems. How big? Lets just say that yours truly had smoke rising off his grips:eek2: Thats right, they melted.

Hair spray works great, as does 3M on most grips. If someone doesnt post a thread with good details in the next few days, i will.

flyin#5
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
i take some carpet tape (sticky on both sides) and wrap it around the bar in 3 places where the grip will go, put some sort of solvent (gas might work, or possibly a little water, alchohal) and slide it on. i have to cut them off when i need new grips.

bradrenea
03-29-2006, 01:35 PM
I have had great luck with hair spray.

brandon34r
04-01-2006, 01:57 PM
I've always took some clear coat spra paint and coat the bars and the grips and they stick on there like nothing I ever used before

CannondaleRider
04-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Using good safety wire and a safety wire tool does the trick for me.

Yeah, I use grip glue, or hairspray. But both of those without safety wire still spun on me. Add safety wire, and you'll NEVER have a problem(at least I never have, and for some reason, I always twist the ***** out of my left grip while racing):confused:

BuB400
04-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Learned this from a gnc champ. Wrap handlebars with elec. tape, put a spalsh of gas in the grip and slide on the bar. Tried it on mine and it works great.

z400roosteR
04-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
and for some reason, I always twist the ***** out of my left grip while racing):confused:
same here my right one is fine but my left one is broken clean and free. you can twist it no problem :confused:

04-05-2006, 08:36 PM
i got my left grip to have the tusk streight now its all messed up :(

colt45
04-07-2006, 08:26 PM
hey well for my grips i bought actuall grip glue it is called that and it works so good it is 2.00 dollars and u odn't have to put barley any on and it wont move!!get r done!!:blah:

1fst400
04-13-2006, 09:32 PM
I tired grip glue, dident work at all.:confused: . it was event the same brand as the grips.

I used to have this problem on my bmx bike. I got so sick of the grips on my chrome handle bars sliding around I took some liquid apoxy. Mixed that stuff up and slid er on there. I bent the handle bars a week later, I had to cut the handle bar to get my brake lever off because the grip was like welded to the bars.

colt45
04-14-2006, 11:14 AM
hey well my friend said he used grip glue and it worked to so u should get some rreall grip glue and try it:o

jeremy_283
04-19-2006, 05:22 PM
the knurled ebd of my renthal bars made my grip not stick on that side so i just got some odi lock on grips instead

flybyyou440ex
04-30-2006, 03:16 PM
i agree with bradrenea and cannondale rider, moms hairs spray works great.

04-30-2006, 09:51 PM
i just put some super glue i had lying around on mine today

GIXXER1KR
05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Ive used super glue too.Just have to put em on quick lol.Thats worked best for me so far!!Grip glue sucks!

dcadigan11
05-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one.....Marine Goop from home depot. I have never had a pair of grips move.

05-13-2006, 01:50 PM
honda grip slue is what i use. never had them spin on me :ermm:

johnsls
05-19-2006, 12:22 PM
I recently learned a NEW way to put grips on and it works great.

Tools needed:
1) Knife or slotted screw drive (something to scratch the handle bars and put little grooves in them) This helps them from twisting.

2) An air attachment for your air compressor.

All you have to do it put the very end of the grip on the end of the bars, then slightly insert the tip of the air attachment underneith the grip. Then let it rip, the grip will fill with air and then you need to quickly push on the grip on.. WHOLA!!

I was also told to also use wire to wrap around the grip and tuck the wire away.

If you do it this way you won't have to worry about any adhesive or other solution eating your grips,,, and also you can remove your grips anytime without destroying them.....:D

lax71vcu
05-29-2006, 04:41 PM
This was suggested by one of the Honda Pros....Eric Cappa I believe
Cloth Athletic Tape, and Brake Cleaner. wrap your bar end with one to two layers of athletic tape, then spray with brake cleaner and slide your grip on...it will dry up for good in about 20 min. You won't be able to twist them after this....

Rossco307
07-26-2006, 12:58 AM
One most bars avaiable today are knureld on the clucth side. and if your a thumb throttle die hard finding bars that knurled on both sides may to hard. Most grips are designed for clucth and throttle side. Yes the eletrical tape and many other things do work, but alas 3 hours of getting catus needles pulled out of my back has taught me other ways. Frist any chemical you use runs the chance of A: Softing the grips into a blister nightmare. B: Weaking the grip it self by chemically breacking down the componets of the rubber. C:(my favorite) a grip slipping off or tearing at the in-oppritune times. My opion use my pain to learn something

1. Clean the bars!! get any reminets of the old grip or any thing else that doesnt belong on there (if its renthal that damn sticker)
let it dry and wipe it clean with a clean cloth.

2. Find a grip you feel comfortable with and stick with it, one it wont make your hands blister everytime you ride. Wipe out the inside of the grip with a water/ alcohol mix. Let it dry.

3.If you need to enlarge the bar area any to fit the grips, you already screwed up. Buy the right grips to begin with.

4. Grip goo and all that other stuff works, and is chemically made to work with the rubber. If you can find a two part epoxy adhesive use it, but it will take some to remove and clean the bars when your replaceing them to slide the grip on to the bar and work it tell you have it in the desired position.

5. Saftey wire. Use a DIA 0.020 safety wire. A lot of grips now days have groves in them allready to set the safty wire in them. Put saftey wire at the inmost part of the grip (looking in from bar) one right in the middle and one on the end. And make sure you bend the twist ends back into the grip.

6. A little trick also is rubber is like many other materials on earth and expands when heated, steel you wifes, or GF, or moms, sis..who ever and heat them up just a little bit. Put them on and let it sit.

DirtDevilBT
08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Gorilla Glue is this thick stuff you can get in a bottle at Home Depot. I have used hair spray before and my grips spun some 40 hours later out at Glamis with no way to fix it, sucked big time. Used this stuff, plenty of time to get the grips on, and they wont come off. I haven't changed my grips or bars yet so I don't know just how well they hold til I try to get them off. lol

400eXr1d3rZ
08-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Is there anyway i can get some grips on and not have them move, but for only temporary? im going riding sunday, but at the moment i have no grips. I got my stock ones off my stock bars, im going to get them on, just for now, because no one will take me to get grips. but is there anyway i can get my grips to stick, just for now? not forever to were i have to cut or rip them off?

XxMotoPimPxX
08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
hairspray. It works

jonboy
08-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I have found using Minwax clear polyurethane in a spray can works great for keeping grips in place. Just clean the bars really good, coat the inside of the grip really good, and slide them on let them set. When polyurethane fully cures, it actually take a couple days but they will be ready to ride with in a few hours. As for taking them off, you will need to cut them.

1fst400
08-28-2006, 10:49 PM
they should make heat shrink grips. Like heat shrink electrical conections accept a grip.

firefighterjosh
08-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
they should make heat shrink grips. Like heat shrink electrical conections accept a grip.

GREAT IDEA!!!!

STRAFAZE
08-30-2006, 03:18 PM
GORILLA GLUE!!!!

jubileeatv
09-03-2006, 09:47 AM
little gorilla glue works best for all temps:eek2:

395Rider
11-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Scott Grip Stick $1.50 Let sit over night. No problems!

DAVE14
12-01-2006, 09:07 PM
permatex gasket sealer ya gotta let them dry a bit but afterwards they stay put & when you need new grips knife off the old ones

Les Davis
12-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Scotts/Renthal etc...grip glue = total waste of money for this crap!!!

I've used Gorilla Glue on the last 3 sets of grips I've installed with no problems whatsoever. I also used Oury grips because I like the feel but they also have some nice deep grooves to accept the safety wire so it's much easier to bury the end piece of wire.

protegespecter
12-14-2006, 11:12 PM
gorilla glue is the shtuff its awesome my grips wont spin no matter how hard i try to spin them

ShiftFMX
12-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Scott grip glue and Safety wire.

works...just like it should ;)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/DSC01643.jpg

jrafter
12-31-2006, 06:01 PM
i uses ODI lock-ons www.odigrips.com

450rJam
01-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Hair spray.......................

if it slips you used too much, pull it off and slip it back on quickly

on the nerled (sp) side I always have to pull it off, blow on it, and push it back on once.

mojo123
01-08-2007, 02:51 PM
i put duck tape on the bars then put the grips on it they slide

brokenmike
01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I use rubber cement,just like the stuff you use to put patches on tubes. They havent slipped yet.you just gotta let it sit overnight

jubileeatv
01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
GORILLA GLUE, remember it expands 4x it's original start volume,you'll never slip.

450rJam
01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
remember there may come a day when you wish to replace the grips.

Im just going to get an oversized bar and have the ends knarled (sp) like my bench press bar, then I'll wear gloves.

jubileeatv
01-11-2007, 02:04 PM
dont bother, glue it on, when your ready, sand the glue off, i've done it 3 times

Dragnut06
01-20-2007, 02:00 AM
i just wrapped electrical tape around my bars and put them on and if they still moved...well then i put more tape on them. They move a little bit right now so i need more tape on them but they work fine.

Sjorge450R
01-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by jubileeatv
GORILLA GLUE, remember it expands 4x it's original start volume,you'll never slip.

yep this is what I do. Just dont leave your quad outside all day in the summer and then try riding it. The grips have moved from me from that because how soft the rubber got from sittign outside in the sun. THat will happen with all glue tho.

jubileeatv
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Gorilla Glue worked this past summer when I was in the middle of Ocala at 105 degrees all day.

peeping TOM
01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
spray paint , its worked for the last 20 years .

jrafter
01-25-2007, 02:49 AM
www.odigrips.com

broncogurl
02-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Also a Gorilla Glue fan. :D

88blaster
02-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I use saftey wire, be sure to tuck the ends into the grip cause it really sucks when it tears up your finger

Sjorge450R
02-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by 88blaster
I use saftey wire, be sure to tuck the ends into the grip cause it really sucks when it tears up your finger

thats the exact reason I dont use the saftey wire.

450Rfun
02-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Spray paint for me.

EXriderO2
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
use an air compressor and put them on dry, that works best for me. just get a long thin nozzle and slide the grip on as ur pushing air into them. it kinda floats right on there

oldracer
10-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by jrafter
www.odigrips.com

^^ I always used spray paint and saftey wire. until
i got a set of odi grips with locking system. 7 harescrambles and alot of play riding and no slipping.

jcs327
10-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Odi makes a great set of grips called lock ons. they have a clamp on each end that locks them to the bars and looks really cool. I have ried everything from hair spray to gas to grip glue and i have found nothing that will compare to the way these grips hold.

best of all, they cost me less than $20!!! they are the best grips I have seen for the money. you can get them for $19.99 at johnnys atv in mckenzie, tn. their number is 731-352-5990. He keeps them in stock and will ship them to you if you are out of state. you can also email them johnny@johnnysatv.com

Wayne64SS
10-30-2007, 02:17 PM
I just bought a used Z400 with aftermarket bars on it. They reused the factory grips and handlebar ends when they put the bars on. Lets just say whoever did it wasn't of the highest intelligence level. My grips were all over the place when I got the thing. I took it home and immediately disassembled. I didn't have any kind of glue laying around or anything, so I wrapped my bars with a few wraps of electrical tape, slid the grip back on, (sprayed with a tiny bit opf wd40 first) and put the bar ends back on properly and presto! grips stay still no matter what now! I do alot of stunting, and tend to hang on for dear life when i ride, i dunno why i do this i just do. If my grips dont move, yours wont either, thats for sure! Hope this helps everyone with an easy/quick fix!

gr race
11-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Brake cleaner works awesome!!!!!!!

Ba9801
08-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I tried ProTapers grip glue and it only lasted a day. I will try some of the other options listed here. The ODI lock on look great. I may get them next time.

woodsracer144
08-13-2009, 11:44 AM
why dont you just go buy ODI lock on grips... they never move on me...