PDA

View Full Version : want to build a inexpensive trail 250r

the glassman
03-28-2006, 06:54 PM
im new to the whole 2 stroke quad stuf so heeeeeellllllpppp:(
what ive got is an 86 atc motor
87 rollin chassis with good suspenders on it.

the motor is pretty strong but has a lot of hours on it so im going with new top end , clutch , and pipe.

what im lookin for is good bottom end torqe and decent top end
mainly bottom end. i dont want to stroke it or nuthin like that just good reliable mostly stock power. ive herd about spacers but not sure what they do. ive herd that heavier fly wheels make a difference.

i ride mostly woods so i need 4 stoke torque but i love the smell of premix :p

any advice will be apreciated.

the glassman
03-29-2006, 09:14 PM
ttp no help huh:ermm: :ermm:

Tom TRX250R
03-29-2006, 09:20 PM
If you want to build an inexpensive trail R then I would start with a low end port, then get a matching low end pipe such as an ESR TRX 6 pipe. Then go with a 35 or 36 mm Keihin carb. After this would be a great start for a good woods motor.

And for the clutch, do it right the first time, if the clutch basket is worn at all, go with a Hinson Clutch basket and OEM plates.

the glassman
03-30-2006, 02:23 PM
the clutch is a hinson billet cage and i was wondering if oem fibers would work cool.

what about a spacer plate, i was told that it could help but was thinking it would lower my comp.

and also what about a heavier fly wheel.

has anyone ever used that recluse auto clutch.

ATCteen
03-30-2006, 02:36 PM
yeah I would say a 36mm carb and a pipe from ESR. Tires I would recomend Turf tamers I have them and they are great! Perhaps later down the road you can buy an ESR 310kit if you want.....

wilkin250r
03-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by the glassman
the clutch is a hinson billet cage and i was wondering if oem fibers would work cool.

what about a spacer plate, i was told that it could help but was thinking it would lower my comp.

and also what about a heavier fly wheel.

OEM fibers actually work better than most any aftermarket fibers.

Without getting into a whole lot of detail, you don't want a spacer plate. It's not something that you can just slap on there by itself, it would require you to split the cases and replace the crank, probably about a $600 proposition. It's not worth the hassle all by itself, I'd only suggest it if you needed to replace the crank anyways.

A heavier flywheel would indeed help, or flywheel weights. It doesn't actually give you more power, it just keeps the engine from accelerating too quickly and spinning the wheels, it helps smooth out the powerband and make it a little more friendly to ride.

the glassman
03-30-2006, 07:10 PM
cool thats what i was thinking about the spacer.